Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645
    1. Well talking from the school at the moment and the pc works with the DCX2496 susessufully. My mate has given me an USB to RS-232 lead with CD-ROM to load up all I need is new RS-232 sirreis lead to get this hopfully networking at home.

the pc works with the DCX2496 susessufully.
    Huzzah. Glad you've sussed this out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Huzzah. Glad you've sussed this out.

Cheers grumpy

I'm now back at home...and I have established a 100% connection finally!

Using the (Sweex CD005) convert to (USB Serial)

A small CD-ROM to load the drive program up and wow I’m chuffed now.

I’ll visit Behringer later and see if I can’t upload new (firmware) to extend the units ability.

Cheers all for the forum support.

JBL 4645
    WTF!

Its not only connected but its blacked all my PEQ pre-settings so guys I have to re-EQ the LCR LF/HF all over again. Why didn’t someone warn me.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    WTF!

Its not only connected but its blacked all my PEQ pre-settings so guys I have to re-EQ the LCR LF/HF all over again. Why didn’t someone warn me.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    PS : the DCX software works as it should / and offers a few good ways ( for the inexperienced user ) to damage their speakers .

Maybe another warning is in order :

WARNING KIDS : TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL !!!!
    You were warned by me a few posts back / you appear to have comprehension issues about what the words "inexperienced", "warning" & "peril", actually mean .

<> cheers

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    You were warned by me a few posts back / you appear to have comprehension issues about what the words "inexperienced", "warning" & "peril", actually mean .

<> cheers
    Peril no, that’s too nice a word. It would have been one and all, just plan curtains!

Smoky Robinson and Frizzle Tweeters!

Well lucky I had the amps turned down! whew! Otherwise if I had played any music or other I would have assumed the settings where unchanged, it would have bugged up my HF tweeters.

I have the limiters turned (ON) on all channels LF/HF.

Well I’ve partly fished the EQ and set the crossover slopes back up Bessel -24db LF/HF

I’ve set in some PEQ on the DCX2496 accordantly to the ½ octave Technics SH-8055 RTA range.

Adjusted the peaks I still have tiny bit of refining to do.

I also upload a firmware but see no change (in gaining extra CPU percentage %).

I have no room spare for any dynamic EQ not one! There is only (5%) left over!

I thought it was suppose to give an extra (15%) so what have I overlooked? I doubt 15% would be enough for independent dynamic EQ over LF/HF channels 1 2 3 4 5 and 6.

JBL 4645

Extra PEQ filters

If you’re down at 2% you need to add in an extra two PEQ filters you can trick the DCX into adding these filters. You need add them in (within less than 1 second) on one of the LF/HF channels. Once you’re at 0% that’s it.

You first need to turn OFF one of the other filters on another channels to get the percentage % to go up few (%) then (get those fingers warmed up because you’ll only have 1 second).

Set one filter in then quickly move to the next channel and add in the other filter by turning the (rotary dial on the DCX).

Hello DCX2496ers,

I've checked the DCX2496 manual, but it is not clear how one feeds digital-IN to a pair of DCX2496 crossovers from one AES/EBU CD Transport digital-OUT? I'm not sure if it is as simple as a Y splitter cable as this may mess with the 110 Ohms these devices like to see. And if so the x-over would need to be told it is Left or Right... Yes? Perhaps miracles are accomplished by the RS-485 LINK cable mentioned in the manual. I'm not sure so would love to share your experience on this issue.

Thanks in advance

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Hello Joe!
    I have done it this way:
    an Y-splitter (RCA to two XLR male, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold/shield. I have used an RG-("58") cable for the splitter.
    Connect the two XLR to the XLR input connector "A" for each Behringers.
    Then switch the inputs from analog to AES/EBU both behringers.

For the Behringer # 1: choose input "A" for all the outputs
    For the Behringer # 2: choose input "B" for all the outputs

Hope this helps
    Flodstroem

BTW Joe, have you thought anything about the level control for the 12 ch. X-over outputs?

I know that Jack Bouska (member) has built a level control for these outputs for to get the lowest distortion possible to the power amps. Hes level control was built with stacked potentiometers (I think it was 5 pots for each Behringer).

I have decided another approach for the level kontrol, and thats the use of LDR´s (light dependent resistors). The project includes a linear regulated current source for the LED´s (inside the LDR´s) together with an IR-controlled motorized potentiometer (2 x 10k).

I can post more info later when the project has been tested (just now Im waiting for parts/components).
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Hello Joe!
    I have done it this way:
    an Y-splitter (RCA to two XLR male, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold/shield. I have used an RG-("58") cable for the splitter.
    Connect the two XLR to the XLR input connector "A" for each Behringers.
    Then switch the inputs from analog to AES/EBU both behringers.

For the Behringer # 1: choose input "A" for all the outputs
    For the Behringer # 2: choose input "B" for all the outputs

Hope this helps
    Thankyou Flodtroem,

That gives me some hope when I finally get around to this project.

For the level control I was also thinking of using stacked potentiometers/swtiches. Something like a 23 position rotary switch with multiple wafers. It is hard to get 12 wafers though. I had an idea of using three separate 4 wafer 23 postion rotary switches , which can be had cheaply on eBay and making them act together via gears or other linkages.

Another thought is to use the 6 channel volume control available in most receivers. Of course these need to be "extracted" from the receiver and ganged together.

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Alesi View Post
    Thankyou Flodtroem, That gives me some hope when I finally get around to this project.
    For the level control I was also thinking of using stacked potentiometers/swtiches. Something like a 23 position rotary switch with multiple wafers.
    Best
    JA
    Hi Joe
    Your suggestion would be an excellent choice, (with the 23 position switches), and your suggested solution will be my second project if LDR´s doesnt work good enough. But we will see what solution works best.
    You can find some more information concerning the LDR level control in here:
    http://i.diyaudio.com/display.php?M=...&S=65&L=8&N=47
    Also I would love to have a peek at your level control when finished and tested, no matter what solution you finally choose
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645
    One thing I noticed and I thought this was down to the fault of the DCX2496 hissing issue. My Marantz 1050 that are powering the HF LCR is a bit on the hissing or lousy s/n signal to noise ratio. I set the amp level right, down while placing my ear next to the tweeter horn, I can hear hiss or noise, so next step is to get in new Behringer A500 amps soon.

If I switch the speaker setting to off the noise goes away because it’s not sending out a signal.

Alesis RA300 are bit hard to find now on most pa store internet sites, not sure why they discontinued in selling it?

So I’d have to revamp the amps to all new Behringer A500 sometime around next year. I’ll hold on to Alesis RA300, not selling them.

Anyhow if I do increase the level on the DCX2496 the hissing does become noticeable but not sure if 1050 is adding some hiss due to its lousy s/n ratio as long as o keep the level at low level its near impossible to hear the hiss like noise in silence, unless standing right next to loudspeaker, but I don’t want that noise I want it almost (almost silent).

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Anyhow if I do increase the level on the DCX2496 the hissing does become noticeable but not sure if 1050 is adding some hiss due to its lousy s/n ratio as long as o keep the level at low level its near impossible to hear the hiss like noise in silence, unless standing right next to loudspeaker, but I don’t want that noise I want it almost (almost silent).
    Thats one of my reason for to add a level control to the DCX2496´s outputs.
    And then you could let the DCX2496 work on the full power output for to reach the best available s/n ratio
    Also, distortion due to the digital sampling errors/at small signal levels will be improved significantly and thats my main reason for to add a level control
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Thats one of my reason for to add a level control to the DCX2496´s outputs.
    And then you could let the DCX2496 work on the full power output for to reach the best available s/n ratio
    Also, distortion due to the digital sampling errors/at small signal levels will be improved significantly and thats my main reason for to add a level control
    What like additional preamps attached to each of the 6 outputs, could be a bit expensive.

Most preamps don’t come fitted with XLR inputs to outputs (that are affordable). So it would have to be XLR from the DCX2496 with RCA phone plug then RCA from preamp to XLR seems like a right dog’s dinner.

But I know where you’re coming from, I don’t disagree with the idea it just needs to be affordable that’s all.

What are the top ten best preamps that are under £200 UK or $200 US or that would be £100 over here I’m a cheap bastard.

Behringer, make preamps thou I think there single mono only, that’s okay I think each one is under £50.00.

My Yamaha DSR-70Pro has 5 inputs and if set in bypass mode it would output a basic 4 forget about the 5th channel, I’d have to use a second DSR-70Pro for the remain few channels and then set the preamp volume level down a bit, and pump up the DCX2496 outputs. Yeah that would work. I'm really pissed I didn't have enough to buy that DSR-70Pro off fleabay listed at cheap (buy now) price over a month ago, I could do with second one.

Edit: Unbelievable, sigh, I can’t find any preamps on Richer Sounds.
    http://www.richersounds.com/hifi

A cheap stereo amp CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM1 £69.95 might work doesn’t mean you have to use its amplifier, thou, just use it as preamp and send the outputs to the amps of your choice.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...-topaz-am1-blk

Thread Information