Thread: Can anyone help me with my older speakers ?

Can anyone help me with my older speakers ?

I am looking for some information on my older speakers. This seems to be the only sight that I have been able to get an idea of some help.

The speakers are a set of 3, + a passive subwoffer. The only thing I can get is the speakers are Lancer-model HTF. There is no model number the on the passive sub. I bought these as a set around 1993 from Fedco membership department store.

These would be thought of as bookshelf speakers by todays standards. Each speaker has 2 midrange and 2 tweeters inside. The speaker itself is kind of like a wedge shape. Dont have a ruller right now but would say around 16 to 18 inches tall and weigh around 11 pounds each. The subwoffer is more of a retangle. Only has two horn openings with no exposed sub speaker. It also weighs a lot.

I am just looking for some type of information for my self. These speakers still work great and I love them, just want to know a bit more about them.

Thank you in advance for any help

Larry

Well - this is the JBL site, so if it is a JBL speaker, you might want to go to the reference Library and look it up- they even have catalogs of JBL models posted so you can look at pictures and see if any of them look like what you have at home.

Go into the Library here and see what you can find ...
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/jbl-catl.htm

JBL made a LOT of speakers at many different price ranges - not everything is listed there, but it is a good place to start.

If its not JBL you might want to try Google or Yahoo and search the web to see if there is a place with info - not all speakers companys have a home on the web.

Good luck!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry, guess I did not give enough information. When I do a search on lets say ebay for lancer speaker. I get a few of JBL-Lancer speaker hits. So I was just reaching in what I thought was the right direction.

Larry

If you can post some pics, the forum's mightily good at identifying "Mystery" speakers....

I recall a discussion of "Lancer" brand speakers here previously. "Search" may turn it up for you.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    IThe only thing I can get is the speakers are Lancer-model HTF.
    While JBL made a number of speakers with the word "Lancer" as part of the model name/number, there was also a company named "Lancer" that put out a series of speakers totally unrelated to JBL. Can you post some pics?

John

Hmm, I might be off track then, here are the pictures first 2 are of the passive sub. The last 3 are of the ones I use for R L Center channels. All 3 are the same. If I am off base here with brand I am sorry.

Thank you for the help.

Larry

Not quite JBL

Yep, those are for sure NOT JBLs!

According to a Google reference they may have been part of Sherwood America a while ago.

Lancer video HTF's speaker system made in 1993. The Orion guide lists a HTF sealed unit and and a HTF-H system. Originaly sold for around $200. And no, those are NOT jbl's.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Thank you all for your help in pointing me in right direction. Also thank you for taking the time to help me for a non forum speaker.

Larry

Nightbrace
    Hey wait a minute, did they 'steal' the Lancer name from JBL?

The JBL Lancers are from the early 70s. At around the same time, Soundcraftsmen was producing Lancer speakers, too. The two brands were markedly different. I don't recall there being any trademark fight at the time. (But there's a lot I don't remember from the 60s and 70s. :shock: )

I don't believe it was a trademark that either company protected after production of the models ceased.

Nightbrace
    Maybe you couldn't trademark a model name back then, but what if they called them Summits instead of Lancers? Would there have been an uprising then? .. What would have happened back then if I put a Corvette emblem on a Vega?

It sure wouldn't have made it a vegavette!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    Maybe you couldn't trademark a model name back then, but what if they called them Summits instead of Lancers? Would there have been an uprising then? .. What would have happened back then if I put a Corvette emblem on a Vega?
    Of COURSE you could trademark a model name - they just weren't as lawyer crazy as companies are today. Names get shared and reused.

Spider is an italian term for convertibles (cars).
    At one time I had a '63 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider.
    In the late 70's Chevy made the Monza Spyder.

Ferrari made a Gran Turismo Omologato or GTO - and later GM applied that name to a trim package for the Pontiac Tempest
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    It sure wouldn't have made it a vegavette!
    Don't know why I have not say this before ... but your Avatar is ... not clear ... blurring? if that is the right word. No offence...just thought I tell you.

Thread Information