Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Are You Going To Go Hear?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I worked that tour in 2010 when they performed in Richmond, Va. I helped fly the SR system (JBL) and with putting Fagen's Steinway together! I had a blast and then got to watch the rehearsal (about two hours!) from the front row. Fagen was definitely the leader and arranger as they worked their way through the entire set with some new vocalists. Come show-time, Boz was the real crowd pleaser. The way it worked then they all played on each other's hits and then each one took the lead on covers from other artists. Quite a variety, very well performed. One of the better shows I've seen, and it was packed!
    From the You Tube videos I saw, it sounded like a lot of fun!
    There is a knock down and happy version of the Grateful Dead's Shakedown street -
    now, of the big artists, who does Dead covers anymore?

Looking forward to it!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well, the Dukes show was Monday night, 8/6 - and what a GREAT show it was!! Kinda reminded me of some of the STAX tours I've seen on DVD

I had done some reading ahead of time and from what i could read of the 2010 tour, its not a Hit parade show like we'd normally think of it.
    If fact, some fans got angry on previous tours because they didn't know all the songs that got played.
    So we went to the show with a very open minded attitude, not expecting "Steeley Dan's Greatest hits live" or any such nonsense ...

Fagen was def in charge - but they all were having a blast - the premise was a summer tour of the songs they grew up with and loved ... and so it was!
    we got "Summer in the City", "If you don't know me by now", "Who's That Lady", Aretha franklin's sister's very of Piece of my heart (not joplins') and a bunch of other great tunes - with some hits from each ... we did get Peg, Hey 19, Reelin' In the years, Low Down (Boz) What a Fool Believes (Michael) and a number of other great songs ...

They ended, did a number of songs in an encore and finished with "Thank You Falettin Me" which got everybody up and dancing as much as possible ...
    The band was great - they turned on a dime a couple of times and really hit some great grooves.

If you have a chance to see any of the remaining shows in the tour - GO SEE THEM.

Its probably the best show I've seen for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Just got our schedule for the Wolf Trap center nearby (Vienna VA) and noticed "The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue 2012"
    were scheduled to play Mon Aug 6. Looked it up and its Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs with about 8 or so side folks to fill in the sound.
    I googled them and found some YouTube videos from the 2010 tour and it looks like a lot of fun -
    Looks like a blend of some hits, and then some other stuff they just enjoy playing.

The videos include the GD's Shakedown Street, BeachBoys' Help Me Rhonda, The Band's Rag Mama Rag,
    and a bunch of other stuff - they sounded good and it looked like they were having fun.
    Who knows what they might play?
    I bought a pair of tickets right away.

Hoping for a big fun time, indeed!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I will hear today:

Name:  1581070.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  61.7 KB

Victório Benatti

Today is Madona's birthday. To celebrate, I'll listen to this album:

Name:  superd_6998065.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  38.8 KB
    Victório Benatti

Cool

Back on topic, I'm going to see Steve Martin later this month at The Mountain Winery.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Julie Fowlis and her band

April 21st, back to the Bloomington Performing Arts Center to see/hear Julie Fowlis. It is the final stop on her Spring US tour and will uncharacteristically and festively occur at 3PM on a Sunday afternoon. Her full tour schedule is at http://www.juliefowlis.com/tours/

Seeing Ms Fowlis will be near and dear to my heart. She sings mostly in Scots Gaelic (which is pronunced gal-ic in the Outer Hebrides, where she is from, North Uist specifically). I am by ancestry mostly a Scot, and while the Scots Gaelic is much reduced in the Highlands, it is still a main language in the Outer Hebrides.

She is a major talent and if her tour is within reach, you might enjoy hearing her. Still young in her early thirties, she has already been repeatedly honored in the British Isles and is something of a star there. She plays many instruments and sings in a variety of native styles, from angelic to rousing in her interpretations. She is best known here for singing in Scots Gaelic and English on the soundtrack from Brave. She is well represented on YouTube if you are curious.

I'll be in the second row with a young friend who is similarly enthused. I know those seats. It will be live sound bypassing the PA.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I heard good things about her from a local AK member that saw her show last time around, so I checked and found she is playing locally, 2 shows - April 15th, at a newer venue here I have not yet been to, Strathmore Hall.
    7PM is sold out so I grabbed a pair of tickets for 9PM show - General Admission is all they offered!
    Looking forward to it, and thanks for the heads up.

===============================
    Monday - 15th Apr 2013
    Julie and her band's much anticipated US Spring Tour
    continues tonight with TWO (2) great shows -
    7.00pm (to 8.10pm) & 9.00pm (to 10.10pm)- both with no intermissions.
    See Venue Website for full location, shows and ticket sales, etc, details.
    Web: www.strathmore.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Fowlis

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    April 21st, back to the Bloomington Performing Arts Center to see/hear Julie Fowlis. It is the final stop on her Spring US tour and will uncharacteristically and festively occur at 3PM on a Sunday afternoon. Her full tour schedule is at http://www.juliefowlis.com/tours/

Seeing Ms Fowlis will be near and dear to my heart. She sings mostly in Scots Gaelic (which is pronunced gal-ic in the Outer Hebrides, where she is from, North Uist specifically). I am by ancestry mostly a Scot, and while the Scots Gaelic is much reduced in the Highlands, it is still a main language in the Outer Hebrides.

She is a major talent and if her tour is within reach, you might enjoy hearing her. Still young in her early thirties, she has already been repeatedly honored in the British Isles and is something of a star there. She plays many instruments and sings in a variety of native styles, from angelic to rousing in her interpretations. She is best known here for singing in Scots Gaelic and English on the soundtrack from Brave. She is well represented on YouTube if you are curious.

I'll be in the second row with a young friend who is similarly enthused. I know those seats. It will be live sound bypassing the PA.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I heard good things about her from a local AK member that saw her show last time around, so I checked and found she is playing locally, 2 shows - April 15th, at a newer venue here I have not yet been to, Strathmore Hall.
    7PM is sold out so I grabbed a pair of tickets for 9PM show - General Admission is all they offered!
    Looking forward to it, and thanks for the heads up.
    At least if you don't like them I won't get all the blame!

At least if you don't like them I won't get all the blame!
    Nope - you've pointed the way to much good music, but never blame!

Thanks again for the heads up - if they didn't have 2 shows it would have been sold out!

Well, I have been doing my homework and it seems Julie Fowlis is at the forefront of the Scots Gallic revival. This program demonstrates what a force she has become for Celtic Scotland.

http://www.pbs.org/soundtracks/stories/fowlis/index.php

Cool

Well, I have been doing my homework and it seems Julie Fowlis is at the forefront of the Scots Gallic revival. This program demonstrates what a force she has become for Celtic Scotland.

http://www.pbs.org/soundtracks/stories/fowlis/index.php
    Thanks for the link.

Here's a link I got today, from my friend DrRyman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvi5io8APMI

From a gig I helped with back in October, so kinda on topic, I'll definitely be going to see them next time they come out to play.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

We got tickets for the Garrison Keelhaul Prairie Home Companion NPR Broadcast show At Wolftrap Sat May 25th, and Gordon Lightfoot July 25th also at Wolftrap. (Emma is a huge fan, tho Gordon has had some health problems over the last decade).

Julie Fowlis was tonight.
    Just back from that GREAT SHOW - we got there early & it was general admission so I picked 3rd row aisle seats -
    we were maybe 10 foot from Julie in a small place that only seats 100-Max -
    My first show in that repurposed mansion ... very intimate venue!

Thanks for the heads up on this ... woohoo!
    (took hall pix before the band arrived - didn't want to disturb the music)
    Name:  Strathmore_7377.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  114.8 KB

Well so far Rush, Yes, Ian Anderson Thick as a Brick, Zappa on Haloween, Rodger Hodgsons Super Tramp, Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels. No doubt the list will keep growing as new shows are announced.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

And Steely Dan just announced they are on tour this summer ...

http://steelydan.com/tour13.html#dates

with this band -
    http://steelydan.com/2kband.html

My 80's weakness - going to see Pat Benatar and Cheap Trick in June. Right after buying tickets, I was warned by a friend that Pat's voice hasn't held up so well - anyone gone to see her sing recently?
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Thread Information