Thread: Any Conrad Johnson PV-6 owners?

Any Conrad Johnson PV-6 owners?

Thinking of getting one of these, how do you like it? Will it work with a moving coil cartridge? Thanks

SAVE some bucks and get a Kenwwod C-2. GREAT STEAL FOR THE MONEY!

Or go on the tube forum at audio asylum and ask there, or audiogon. There doesn't seem to be anyone here who knows anything about that preamp. I've used the PV2 and PV9. I liked them both; I liked my Audio Research SP8 better, but it's also more expensive. I think these tube preamps from AR and CJ from the 80's are bargains. I'd much rather listen to a PV2 than a Dynaco PAS3. The improvement far outpaces the difference in price, and the ranges overlap at times, incredibly enough. The PV6 is said by the company to be an upgrade of the PV2ar, the last version of the PV2, so it might be worthwhile to study the history of those upgrades:

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just...duct_page.html

Then it's a question of the price that is being asked.

The PV9 is a kind of special deal, since it's a zero negative feedback design, and that involves some tradeoffs. It has very, very fine midrange and HF, and the phono section is very good also.

None of this answers your question, of course, but it seems to be what we have to offer here.

David

Con/John owner

Hola, I have a PV-7 mint and love it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jeenie, is that a Revox open reel I see in the background?

CJ pre drivin a Crown amp! Gotta sound good!
    scottyj

The PV6 is a great preamp and one of the standouts in its price range. My friend had one for many years and it was always a delight to listen to. He finally sold it last year when he interited an Audio Research SP11. At over twice the price you'd expect the AR to sound better and it does. You'll have to buy a step-up transformer to use a low-output cartridge with the CJ, but a high-output MC should be fine.

A preamp upgrade is in my future as well and I've started watching CJ's and AR's on ebay. Once the xmas frenzy dies down I'm hoping to see some decent deals there in January.

I switched to tube amps a little over a year ago and never looked back. It's time for a tube pre...

jblnut

I may have to wait

Have not found anything yet and will be leaving for a few months, so perhaps in the spring.

Stuck between guitar stuff and stereo +.

We start with a real big wire plugged into a Vox AC 15 Y-corded to a Fender "Evil Twin Reverb" (all 6L6's in both) supplemented by a Johnson two tube amp (for harmonica through a Shure EQ/feedback controller)). From there more big wires lead to a Tascam 32 1/4 track, mint. Then, air dialectic interconnects, to a Conrad Johnson PV7. For the time being an Aphex interface to balance the lines (with more air dia's.) into two Crown XLS 202's, one left, one right channel bridged mono. Four strands of solid copper 12 gauge wire, twisted, lead to my Altec Model 14's. As a schooled musician, blues rocker, classical music lover, and 1930's cowboy music dude I have a pretty good idea what orchestras, cymbals, tympani, wood snares, and Dianna Krall and those wonderful grand pianos sound like live. This is what I want and am very close to having right in my small living room. I want 125db without distort distort distort for Pink Floyd. I want to be able to tell how many windings are on the strings being plucked by their tone. An OPPO DV-980H disc player and a temporary highly modified Music Hall turntable also feed the system, and with no hiss, I don't like anything hissing at me. I haven't suffered from listening fatigue even at volume levels that my neighbors like (sounds just as good outside). I'm far from done...Hail Altec and JBL....Jeenie. PS- it's nice having theater and not home theater!

Jblnut , please consider the following Preamplifier T8 by van alstine :

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipmen...eamplifier.htm

affordable price , very high support , clean and very neutral sound , comes with a phono tube analog output .

Gerard

Decided on

Picked up a Juicy Music Blueberry JM 100 so I'll give that a try. thanks for the inpute.

Thanks Gerard - I will look into this! I have to go to MN on business in a few months so I will try to audition one while I am out there.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Jblnut , please consider the following Preamplifier T8 by van alstine :

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipmen...eamplifier.htm

affordable price , very high support , clean and very neutral sound , comes with a phono tube analog output .

Gerard

After a lot of research and local listening I decided on a MacIntosh C220 Tube Preamp. I'll get a full report and some photos up shortly.

I've listened extensively to an Audio Research SP11, Threshold T2 and this C220 in the last week. I can honestly say that the Mac is a superb match for my other components and my speakers.

jblnut

I have a PV1 that I got a yard sale for $10 about ten years ago. It has a leaky power supply cap that needs replacing. It just sits on a shelf. all tubes are original. I don't use a turntable much at all, and...

I dunno... what's my point?

HELP!
    Need more NyQuil.

scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Hi Scott. Cold too, eh? just finished some Nyquil myself...

PV-1 is fun for historic reasons and should clean up nice.

All of the tubes are available, even if one has passed on.

My first audiophile listening experience had a Conrad-Johnson PV10A in the equation. I was blown away. I eventually ended up finding a used one for a decent price and have never looked back. It has a tube phono stage which, if you're into playing vinyl, is sort of the whole point.

Thread Information