Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL "Performance Series" question

JBL "Performance Series" question

Hi,

I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, and am curious about the JBL "Performance Series" of loudspeakers. I'd really like to see & listen to a set in person. However, JBL retailers around here are almost nonexistent.

Does anyone living in the Northwest U.S.A. know of a JBL retailer with a decent selection of their current lineup?

I sent an email to JBL some time ago asking this very question, but got no response.

Why is it so hard to buy JBL product!?

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
    Hi,

I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, and am curious about the JBL "Performance Series" of loudspeakers. I'd really like to see & listen to a set in person. However, JBL retailers around here are almost nonexistent.

Does anyone living in the Northwest U.S.A. know of a JBL retailer with a decent selection of their current lineup?

I sent an email to JBL some time ago asking this very question, but got no response.

Why is it so hard to buy JBL product!?
    There's a rather large PS thread in here.

They are discontinued, but if you were able to find some it would be at a Synthesis dealer. Tweeter used to sell them and some stores may still have odd units laying around.

Or, you can take it from the handful of owners that they are prolly the best tweeter-based system ever made. They have a lot in common with a couple of the Revel models, and also share technology with the TiK series and a couple of the current Synthesis Four series.

Bottom line is that you can't hear them unless you find someone who owns them. The IW and IC line in the PS series is not part of this discussion.

I read the PS thread. That's what made me interested in them.

I wasn't aware they are discontinued, as they appear prominently on the current JBL website. Why would they show discontinued product? The site says "2008" on it.

I've never heard of a Synthesis dealer, are you aware of any in the Pacific Northwest? I would be prepared to drive to Washington State or Oregon to see the Performance Series in person.

Around here, the only JBL you can find is the bottom end stuff at Best Buy, or car stereo speakers at the odd place.

The PS has been around since '01~'02, so that's about 7 years. And most JBL consumer series only last that long, others like the Venue series, much shorter.

And as the new LS series is coming out next year, at about the same price range, the PS is being dropped, much like the Venue series was dropped for the new ES series.

But there is still plenty of PS stock, that's why they still show up under "special" on www.harmanaudio.com
    They're listed as refurbs, but are really just over stock.

The reason you've never heard of Synthesis dealers is they are only in the US. Everywhere else JBLs are sold through normal B&M audio stores, and online.
    But it would seem, by your comment, that JBLs are just as hard to find in Canada as they are here, anymore. Like you mentioned, BB only sells the bottom end series. In fact BB has dropped JBL, here in the US, in favor of selling more Polk.

Its the BB thing that has made the JBL brand, of late, to be looked down upon, by most of the under 40 audio consumer public, as the only JBLs they have ever seen is the ones in BB.
    Last edited by jblsound; 11-20-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
    I read the PS thread. That's what made me interested in them.

I wasn't aware they are discontinued, as they appear prominently on the current JBL website. Why would they show discontinued product? The site says "2008" on it.
    I am not 100% sure, but I believe they still have a warehouse full of them that they would like to sell... They haven't built any new ones in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    But there is still plenty of PS stock, that's why they still show up under "special" on www.harmanaudio.com
    They're listed as refurbs, but are really just over stock.

If you click on that map, you get a list of regional reps... they can hook you up with a local dealer. Will any have the PS Series? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Widget

Obsolete
    I've noticed that the PS1400 is available via employee purchase but not via the public links. :dont-know I guess they are saving them for employees. :dont-know Maybe they are going to sell them via Harman Audio on eBay. :dont-know Or maybe they really don't know what to do with them. :dont-know Maybe they don't even know that they have them. :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I've noticed that the PS1400 is available via employee purchase but not via the public links. :dont-know I guess they are saving them for employees. :dont-know Maybe they are going to sell them via Harman Audio on eBay. :dont-know Or maybe they really don't know what to do with them. :dont-know Maybe they don't even know that they have them. :dont-know
    I hope no one will destroy them like those DX-1 units?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I hope no one will destroy them like those DX-1 units?
    That was totally retarded. We could all have used one or two of those. And we would have been damn greatful to have them.

I would not at all be surprised if they did. Evidently there comes a point where it just isn't worth the bother to store it all.

Ps1400

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...JBL&market=HOM

(scroll to the bottom)

$1119 in black or cherry.

Array 1500's too (for a wee bit more)

Obsolete
    Interesting! They were not there last week when I checked for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Interesting! They were not there last week when I checked for someone else.
    That site is in a constant state of flux, forever changing.
    Its like the Infintiy Preludes, sometimes they have both the towers and subs, but recently, only the subs.
    Sometimes they have the TiK models, sometimes not.

But if JBL has a warehouse full of PS, its only because most audio consumers never knew they existed. And if anyone did see them on harmanadio, they couldn't audition them w/o buying them first.

I'd love to see them on ebay. Especially certain models which I shall not mention. I don't need any more PT800s, that's for sure.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'd love to see them on ebay. Especially certain models which I shall not mention. I don't need any more PT800s, that's for sure.
    What? You only have 14, need more? Maybe I'll sell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    We are over-due for some.

Thread Information