Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mark Levinson Using JBL Drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    'zis where they start in with the blue billet rockers jokes?

or does nelson pass on guitar amps?
    I figured it'd be "So Nelson Pass, Mark Levinson and Steven Hawking walk into a bar..."

But then I saw where that one wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I figured it'd be "So Nelson Pass, Mark Levinson and Steven Hawking walk into a bar..."

You are wickedly funny!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post

So Nelson Pass, Mark Levinson and Stephen Hawking roll into a bar and discuss Six String Theory with Lee Ritenour...
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hi Edge, long time! Roll in, exactly what I was thinking.

I'm not sure some of the hesitancy in Mark's voice and delivery isn't an artifact of the Skype-style connection. At least to some extent. Even the video is chopped-up at times. The wide-angle view of the web cam adds to the goofy look. The rest may be the he just isn't as comfortable in a live interview for broadcast as he well may be in person.

I like what he's positing. I don't even fault him for selling his name to Lexus for their crap systems.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

I'm not sure some of the hesitancy in Mark's voice and delivery isn't an artifact of the Skype-style connection. At least to some extent. Even the video is chopped-up at times. The wide-angle view of the web cam adds to the goofy look. The rest may be the he just isn't as comfortable in a live interview for broadcast as he well may be in person.
    agreed.

hear the 'digital noise floor' on/off artifacts?

and,

looks to me, he might be somewhat dehydrated ...

It often happens when one is actually thinking before one opens ones mouth ..... a very rare courtesy !

I like what he's positing. I don't even fault him for selling his name to Lexus for their crap systems.
    The host has a great connection and is very fluent, and his energized style is just a huge contrast with ML's speaking style. I'm still curious as to which "professional grade" drivers he stuffing in those ugly boxes.

I seriously doubt that Mark made any money on the Lexus deal. They're using the same logo that Harman owns, so I'd bet they're getting the royalties. Back in the 90's Nakamichi made the same deal with Lexus, but at least it was pretty good stuff and manufactured and serviced by Nak.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I saw an interview on "Home Theater Geeks," one of Leo Laport's video podcasts, where Mark Levinson was pushing his M1 speakers for a cool $100K. 100dB at 1 watt. I met him in Chicago in 77 when he was selling the HQD system, but this new speaker looks worse than my butt ugly but great sounding SVA2100s. Does anybody know what drivers he's using? He makes some ridiculous statements in the podcast, equating speaker sensitivity to MP3 bit loss. Another hero bites the dust. He sounds brain damaged, and I'm being kind.
    "...I'm being kind".

No, you are not at all. Making light of a speech impediment and then using that to discount some of the points he is raising?
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    It often happens when one is actually thinking before one opens ones mouth ..... a very rare courtesy !

Rich nails it again ....
    Not everybody has Kathy Lee Giffords talent (?? ) , a person who can rattle off yards of crap w/o thinking ...some of us (and I've been accused of the same thing) actually think out the answer before verbalizing it.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The host has a great connection and is very fluent, and his energized style is just a huge contrast with ML's speaking style.
    The host isn't on Skype. It's filmed in his studio. Levinson is being recorded off some lousy Internet video connection.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    See it for yourself - April 2nd, 2012
    http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/105

He doesn't seem to pause-between-every-single word ...
    seems more like he speaks in word clusters, sentence chunks,
    and thinks a bit as he goes forward ...

I have to run so I only listened to 7 minutes, but I didn't hear what you said you heard in that.

There is a very faint bit of stutter, but I sure wouldn't hammer the guy for that kind of thing.
    If he had spoken like the rest of us, the interview would have lasted less than seven minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Stainless steel baskets, stainless must have gone up a lot since the last time I checked.
    That's why I started this thread, they are "bezels" like $200,000 watches have, which are probably being used to disguise the drivers. How can a bezel make a driver better?
    They're not stainless steel baskets, they're stainless steel glory holes.
    Gory rings not glory holes. I'm getting my sites confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Please share your thoughts with us about Stephen Hawking.
    My minor is in physics from the University of Pittsburgh, he's another hero and I've have read all of his "accessible" books and given them to my kids and friends. It was only a minor.

Mark Levinson's thoughts on being captivated by music and the emotion of it have much more to do with the actual music, performance and the art of recording it than the playback system.

The playback system is the bonus. Crap music played on the best system is still crap music.

He also said low efficiency speakers waste huge amounts information through heat. Makes sense to me.

And...Nelson Pass says the first watt is the most important. Mr. Pass is pretty well respected around here and I'd say he and Mark Levinson are in good company with each other.

Also, too......Like Heather, I see a man with lots of thought in his brain and doing lots of pre-filtering before he actually speaks.

Did you know Mark Levinson is also into cosmetics? Maybe a little toner and base will clean up your lesser loudspeaker.
    http://www.goldcreams.com/
    Kim Cattrell was beyond hot back then, and he looks good in that photo. Must be the skin cream. It's like when the total nerd in high school get the hottest chick.Five years with Kim Cattrell ten years ago . Imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    So Nelson Pass, Mark Levinson and Stephen Hawking roll into a bar and discuss Six String Theory with Lee Ritenour...
    No that's a punchline! Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    agreed.

hear the 'digital noise floor' on/off artifacts?

and,

looks to me, he might be somewhat dehydrated ...
    Maybe he needs to use some of his skin creams.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    "...I'm being kind".

No, you are not at all. Making light of a speech impediment and then using that to discount some of the points he is raising?
    You are correct, I was being mean. I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Rich nails it again ....
    Not everybody has Kathy Lee Giffords talent (?? ) , a person who can rattle off yards of crap w/o thinking ...some of us (and I've been accused of the same thing) actually think out the answer before verbalizing it.
    So when James Joyce does it it considered high art, but when Kathy Lee Gifford does it after a couple of glasses of Chardonnay it's a bad thing? That is so sexist!

Seriously folks, what is this guy using and how do they sound? Are they better than 1400 Arrays? Has he stumbled onto something? Let's identify those drivers and get to work. His HQD system was glorious.

You are correct, I was being mean. I apologize.
    i wouldn't apologize to that sort.

not until he/she/it/whatever makes an apology

to the 200,000+ members of diyaudio.com

look at this -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2995566

and the moderators comment below.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````

on topic -

i'd like to know what drivers he's got as well.

what ever endeaver he'd been involved with for the last 40+ years,

have been more or only slightly less than at the forefront of music reproduction ...

( i still suspect he maybe dehydrated )

I finally got to listen to (didn't watch) the interview and I thought he did fine. It was obvious right away that the host and Mark were in acoustically different rooms with different sounding microphones.

I teach a once a week class and have a couple of different lapel, hand held and head worn mic's and some of them do accentuate mouth noises, especially if ones mouth is dry and or you just haven't listened to yourself through a mic and make a conscious effort to avoid some of the troublesome issues.

Again I thought he did fine, it's not easy answering questions non scripted for an hour and I find when asking questions that require thought the nuances of his speech are pretty normal under the circumstances. And, don't forget that he's 65, at 48 I'm not near as mentally nimble as I used to be, damnit!

I think it's great, he's living the dream you know, his dream and I'm happy for his successes and wish him well.

Thanks for the link.

On a more constructive note:

I have in vain tried to find the 1936 Bell Labs papers referred to by Mark Levinson.

Can somebody provide an exact reference?

Thread Information