Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which horns for JBL 2451 Be drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    How about a pair of clone 4338’s with billet “aluminium” throats?

They are 20.25” X 8.625”
    Hi 1audiohack.
    oho, what a nice work.
    I have an idea about how complex surface curvature is to be realized in order to convert circular to rectangular horn cross section
    regards
    ivica

Thanks guys.

These were what I was to make for Project May. I was a year late and $10K short.

I made a made a dozen of them so now I just have to make something with them. They do sound great for sure.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Damn Barry! That's gorgeous!
    Now, how about banging out a new intake manifold for my VW?

Widget

Doc Mark snapped some pics during the throat machining process when we were out there in November 2014. I don't think the final iteration of the molded parts were done for some time after that.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    An interesting thread indeed !

I'm looking for a horn that behaves as close as possible to the TH4003 in its dispersion pattern . Talking to Ari about the M2 horn , 4367 but , I'd like to use 650htz as a the crossover point . That leaves the Autotech range or ...get the throat adapter and making a A290 . I have H9800 clones , but not convinced they'll come anywhere near in a 2-way set up .
    I want to avoid DSP .... I'd rather take my time and go passive . This my first speaker design from scratch .... I have some very good people helping me and I'm not in a rush .... So here goes . I'll start a thread here and over on diyaudio.com

Parts: 2450SL /4016 BE
    JBL 1500AL - 150 litre
    Horn ?

Rich
    Behaving like TH-4003 means no EQ needed.
    There was someone in France (J.P. Voiturier (ARTEC company doing audio electronics products)) who studied a horn dedicated to TAD TD-4003, free to use for diy. May be pos knows how to find the corresponding information. If I remember well it was published in the former Revue du Son macazine.

Sweet ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Thanks guys.

These were what I was to make for Project May. I was a year late and $10K short.

I made a made a dozen of them so now I just have to make something with them. They do sound great for sure.

Barry.
    Thats a wonderful project .... how did I miss that ? Are there any plots for the 4338 ? Is there a cad file for it ?
    We've simulated the 1500 AL for the box tuning and size :

Rich.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    There was someone in France (J.P. Voiturier (ARTEC company doing audio electronics products)) who studied a horn dedicated to TAD TD-4003, free to use for diy. May be pos knows how to find the corresponding information. If I remember well it was published in the former Revue du Son macazine.

Interesting , but my french is worse than my cantonese .... POS ?

Rich

dn92也是法国人

Rich, do you have TD4003 drivers at hand?
    That design, or the original TH4003 one, would require EQ with a JBL driver anyway.

If you are looking for a passive solution then the 4367 is probably one of the best possible choice today.
    I think the horn itself is available (I know an individual who managed to get his hands on a pair), but the D2430K is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    dn92也是法国人

Rich, do you have TD4003 drivers at hand?
    That design, or the original TH4003 one, would require EQ with a JBL driver anyway.

If you are looking for a passive solution then the 4367 is probably one of the best possible choice today.
    I think the horn itself is available (I know an individual who managed to get his hands on a pair), but the D2430K is expensive.

Hi Pos,

I think we'll end up designing a horn .... I can get the 4367 ,but I don't the cabinet that wide .... 120 litres looks very good for the 1500AL ,So keeping the dimensions is a must . Although , I'd think seriously about buying one 4367 ,scanning it and making a clone in wood . I have the TAD 2404 here, but I wont be messing around with them as far as taking them apart .Unless... someone wants the TH4003 cloned and wants to pay for it .

I have 2450sl and truextent here . I have a friend to help with the measurement and theory ( horn design ) I thought the 4367 sounded awful at Munich . Certainly wasn't inspired by the driver or the complete system .

Sorry , Herman , Widget ..... Can I take all my nonsense to another thread ? . I seem to have unwittingly taken over this ... sincere apologies .

Rich

As richluvsound mentionned that he plans to build another pair of eXclusive 2404, I expected a new pair of TD-4003 to be concerned. Of course with a JBL 2451, at least one high shelf will be needed with a TH-4003 or Voiturier's horn. No need with a a TD-4003 and I think probably also not with TD-4002z.

As richluvsound mentionned that he plans to build another pair of eXclusive 2404, I expected a new pair of TD-4003 to be concerned. Of course with a JBL 2451, at least one high shelf will be needed with a TH-4003 or Voiturier's horn. No need with a a TD-4003 and I think probably also not with TD-4002z.
    I didn't like the TAD 4002z when I heard it .

This is not a 2404 .... was never meant to be . I have some expensive parts sitting here doing nothing .... I may as well build a speaker , sell it on ( already sold and thank fully not to the usual low-ballers) and put the proceeds toward keeping the 2404 sitting in my living room

Hey , its all fun and it turns out there are some great choices for horns including designing a new one .... thanks for the PM's folks.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I didn't like the TAD 4002z when I heard it .

I have some expensive parts sitting here doing nothing.

Rich
    I know that feeling...Lol

Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Rich,

Not recently. Depending on your aesthetic needs the Le Cléac’h AH-340 (600mm) could be interesting?

If you are doing a passive crossover from scratch you really need a diy friendly horn

http://www.azurahorn.com

The 2384 is the only modern Jbl horn readily available that will do 650 hertz properly.

If you relax that criteria to 750-800 hertz you can accommodate a narrower baffle.
    Hi Ian,

I'm not in the studio anymore .... or they'd be ideal . The baffle is 550 mm or 21 5/8 " . I could rotate it 90 degrees . Its gonna be great to catch up in september - something nice to look forward to .

Rich

I have that Revue du Son article. Here's a scan of the plans for that horn. It could be a good fit for the 2450SL too, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TAD sound

>>>I didn't like the TAD 4002z when I heard it .

Rich, I have the TAD 4002 and I don't really like it either. Too bright, like an arch welder. However, on the JBL 2384 horn, with the accompanying, HF rolloff, it sounded more balanced and quite acceptable. This combo is not bad but need careful EQ, one that will bring up the highs but not activate the shrillness and edginess of the TAD 4002.

Thread Information