Thread: B380 orientation

Question B380 orientation

I understand that the low end is somewhat omni-directional but various photos have me confused.

Where should the port be located? Top, bottom or side?

This JBL doc shows it bottom and side.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-b380-b460.htm

I am retired. Am I starting to worry about stuff that does not matter? Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I understand that the low end is somewhat omni-directional but various photos have me confused.

Where should the port be located? Top, bottom or side?

This JBL doc shows it bottom and side.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-b380-b460.htm

I am retired. Am I starting to worry about stuff that does not matter? Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
    I believe the manual that comes with the BX-63(A) mentions orientation isn't critical, however you may hear differences of boundary reinforcement with the woofer closer/farther from the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I believe the manual that comes with the BX-63(A) mentions orientation isn't critical, however you may hear differences of boundary reinforcement with the woofer closer/farther from the floor.

Robh3606 scanned the manual for the BX-63A into this thread, in case you don't have it.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Answers-Needed

relyen
    I have a pair of B380s and spent many hours flipping them around trying to answer that question. Oh my aching back! My room that is carpeted over a crawl space and I found having the port closer to floor using the JBL supplied base yielded slightly tighter bass response. Using that orientation also worked well as it occupied less floor space.

The seller also supplied a low platform that raises the cabinet less than 2 inches. Not sure of the sonic differences. Using the board gives me 4 dimples in the carpet. Not using it gets me a large rectangle.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

I've shared this image, and philosophy previously, so please excuse my redundancy. I feel this isolation/mounting makes a tremendous difference with my subs. It gets the woofers about 8" higher off the floor, reducing the boundary reinforcement, and the coupling/decoupling of the cabinets from the floor makes the bass more articulate by reducing energy lost into the floor.

You could experiment with elevating your sub(s) off the floor with perhaps blocks of wood to see if you hear any difference. You are retired now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Change that wooden plinth to a concrete one and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

But lose the spikes between the speaker and plinth with only 3 under it.

In the frequency range and port tuning 26Hz it just doesn't matter. The wavelenghts are so long in comparison to the distance between the driver and ports you can put them where ever you want them. When I built my B380's they went on the side of the enclosure.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    In the frequency range and port tuning 26Hz it just doesn't matter.
    The wavelengths are so long in comparison to the distance between the driver and ports you can put them
    where ever you want them. When I built my B380's they went on the side of the enclosure.

Rob
    Agreed - I ran my B380 on its side and now I run the 4641 on its side.
    Plays well - no complaints.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

relyen
    Must be the reason I spent many hours trying to convince myself I could hear a difference between orientations.

Thread Information