Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Polk Audio STA 1.2TR...Major Disappointment :(

soundmanshorty

looks like one

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    of the 1st Line Arrays

i heard those McIntosh speakers at a salon in Hong Kong. Overpriced equipment, heavily draped room, million dollar tube amps, etc. I thought they sucked. Too many drivers and the phase interference was pathetic. Loud yes, accurate never. I could not believe McI made such a speaker.

As to Polk Audio, I own one of their best efforts and a long produced model, The Monitor 10B. I bought them new in 1986 and have them today. I chose the 10B over the 12B because they did NOT have the SDA crap. These are great speakers with a single peerless tweeter and two Audax 6.5 drivers. The passive radiator allows tuning to 28 Hz and although I like JBL systems I have never been unhappy with the 10Bs. They sell for very wide prices on ebay, usually dictated by location and shipping requirements. I have a pair of spare tweeters for mine just in case but I can't imagine ever selling them. Listen to a pair if you ever can, they are a classic.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Lets see how many speakers we cna stuff in one box.

I remember reading about some home built speakers in the late 1950's.
    They were called sweet 16, the idea was to take 16 4 or 5" speakers and put them in a box connect them up to give 8 ohm impedance and some how by magic you would have a good sounding speaker.
    In high school I met someone who's dad had make a pair of them, I went over hear them! Well they sounded like 16 cheep speakers.
    I prefer the sound of two or three really good speakers to the sound the conglomeration of speakers.
    I have listened to some of these at the CES shows when they used to be in Chicago. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I remember reading about some home built speakers in the late 1950's.
    They were called sweet 16, the idea was to take 16 4 or 5" speakers and put them in a box connect them up to give 8 ohm impedance and some how by magic you would have a good sounding speaker.
    In high school I met someone who's dad had make a pair of them, I went over hear them! Well they sounded like 16 cheep speakers.
    I prefer the sound of two or three really good speakers to the sound the conglomeration of speakers.
    I have listened to some of these at the CES shows when they used to be in Chicago. John
    I remember seeing the Sweet Sixteens in Popular Electronics back in the 60s ..
    we talked about it in an earlier thread here ...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    You can check out one version of the Sweet Sixteen design on Roger Russell's page
    http://www.roger-russell.com/columns/columns.htm#sweet

Here's another version - http://www.kidbiz.com/Sweet%20Sixtee...n%20System.htm
    (cheap cabinet tho)

Old tech, but - apparently still in use!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi all...

I can guarantee you the Polk 1.2tls definitely don't sound like cheap speakers. Don't knock them until AFTER you've heard them firsthand. With the proper amplification they will blow you away. Clarity, soundstage, and depth are awesome. Do yourself a favor and listen to them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Btbek View Post
    I can guarantee you the Polk 1.2tls definitely don't sound like cheap speakers. Don't knock them until AFTER you've heard them firsthand. With the proper amplification they will blow you away. Clarity, soundstage, and depth are awesome. Do yourself a favor and listen to them yourself.
    Where are you located? I'd love to pop over and hear 'em.

I recently picked up a pair of ADS L910s. Mind blowingly good.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Where are you located? I'd love to pop over and hear 'em.

I recently picked up a pair of ADS L910s. Mind blowingly good.

Widget
    North central Oklahoma. Let me know when you're coming.

I've heard the large Polks before and they are good speakers, probably of the same caliber as JBL's upper end offerings throughout the 80's.

The top of the line ADS speakers are very good as well, capable of bettering the 250Ti's and Polks in some respects. On the other hand the JBL's and possibly the Polk's do some things better than the ADS's.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Btbek View Post
    North central Oklahoma. Let me know when you're coming.
    Start chilling the beers... I'll give you a call when I hit the Oklahoma border.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    The top of the line ADS speakers are very good as well, capable of bettering the 250Ti's and Polks in some respects. On the other hand the JBL's and possibly the Polk's do some things better than the ADS's.
    Quite possibly true.

Before picking these up I hadn't heard the L910s in almost 30 years... I am simply amazed at how good they are. I won't say that I like them better than my large horn system, but if I had to listen to them and no other speaker for the rest of my life, I could be OK with that. My only criticism of them would be the slightly diffuse imaging and the slightly pronounced and slightly phat bottom... I have heard a similar bottom end out of LE14Hs in some applications. I guess then there is the lack of the tactile detail my big beryllium drivers offer... while all of those criticisms may sound significant, you should hear what I say about speakers I don't love.

Widget

One thing I've found with the larger ADS 3 way designs is that they are somewhat picky about amplification. They seem to work best with a good solid state amp with the ability to deliver some current.

The 910's are fairly rare and still seem to be highly regarded.

Mike

rvito
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    You should try some 4343's or at least some 250ti's
    or some 4435's

Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97
    You should try some 4343's or at least some 250ti's

Quote Originally Posted by rvito View Post
    or some 4435's
    that was kind of an inside joke, rvito,,since he had both 4343's and 250ti's, which I bought the latter from him, after he sold the 4343's...Marty is now working on 4333A's from what I read....but the 4435 suggestion is also a good one , tho I dont have firsthand knowledge.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Any Chance these may be for sale?

Hello to all... I have stumbled upon this thread while searching for 1.2tL's, and was wondering if there is any chance they may be for sale?

please let me know...

John

Quote Originally Posted by polk4ever View Post
    Hello to all... I have stumbled upon this thread while searching for 1.2tL's, and was wondering if there is any chance they may be for sale?

please let me know...

John
    No idea - we were talking about speakers we saw someone else trying to sell on ebay months ago ... September 2008 ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information