Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4435 conversion to TAD2001

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    This old thread helped nobody as there isn't one "how to" information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    There seems to be a a flow of S/H trades of Tad 2001s if you know where to look but I note many Tad 2001 users are using aftermarket dias with preferred results.
    Using a TAD with an aftermarket diaphragm is the most stupid thing I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I couldn't agree more Guido, my experience with TD 2002 has been nothing short of amazing. One thing I did note was a particularly long break-in period. They were good early on and continued to get better over a period of months.
    Did I miss something Chas?
    Did you implement TAD2002's in 4435's?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Did I miss something Chas?
    Did you implement TAD2002's in 4435's?
    Sorry if I confused you. At the moment they are in my 4345's. None the less, the effect has been stunning as you have noted in your 4435's.

Thank you for posting the information and your findings, this was one mod I was wondering about doing to my 4435's, I would be most interested in your listening tests.

Thannks again
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

It isn't the better response above 10kHz that I prefer. Yes it is nice to have this extended top end with some instruments. I triangle e.g. sonds essentially different than on the AQPL 2425's, but the main advantage is somewhere else.
    The real advantage are the mids. I'm very sensitive to mids (1kHz - 4kHz). I easily find a compression driver sounding harsh in this regions. That's why I cc'd my crossovers and AQPL my diaphragms. But still I heard this "harshness" with certain material (sax e.g.) and at certain volumes. Not only high volumes.

All this is gone now. Up to real club volume these TADs sound clean.

As written, it's worth the cost for sure. BTW: It was the cost and availability factor that let me decide to use the 2001 instead of the 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    It isn't the better response above 10kHz that I prefer. Yes it is nice to have this extended top end with some instruments. I triangle e.g. sonds essentially different than on the AQPL 2425's, but the main advantage is somewhere else.
    The real advantage are the mids. I'm very sensitive to mids (1kHz - 4kHz). I easily find a compression driver sounding harsh in this regions. That's why I cc'd my crossovers and AQPL my diaphragms. But still I heard this "harshness" with certain material (sax e.g.) and at certain volumes. Not only high volumes.

All this is gone now. Up to real club volume these TADs sound clean.
    This exactly what I heard when Bo went from 2421s to TAD 2002s in his system. For years I made fun of that fog horn... changing the driver made a slight to moderate change in measured response and a significant improved listening response... one that using an EQ just couldn't.

Widget

Very nice Guido, a well documented modification, thank you!

Has anyone tried to plug some Geddes' foam (reticulated foam, 30PPI) in the compression slot yet?

There are plently of other well respected 1 inch drivers. You might be surprised how good they are.

I know the timbre can't be measured and an electrical responce is not the same with acoustical responce.

It will be very pleased to see a preference list for 1" drivers no matter the price or name,based first on timbre (acoustical responce) and not on the electrical or how much "linear" is the responce.

I assume that this work could be applied to the 4430? Doesn't this turn out to be a buttload of money - and wouldn't it be better to just sell the old monitors and just build a new box for the TAD 2001 - 4430/35 inspired update?

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    Doesn't this turn out to be a buttload of money - and wouldn't it be better to just sell the old monitors and just build a new box for the TAD 2001 - 4430/35 inspired update?
    Well... I'd start anew as I am not a Butt Cheek horn fan or a fan of using 2235Hs up to 1000Hz, but for those who own these speakers, popping on the TAD is completely reversible... TAD used the JBL bolt pattern for the 2001.

Widget

Hi Guido,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but it looks like you finally implemented some TD2002 in your vertical 4435.
    How did this driver compare to the TD2001? How did the network and CD compensation differ?
    Does the TD2002 have a significantly higher mass breakpoint frequency compared to the TD2001?

I ask this question because someone recently posted a curve of what he claims to be a TD2002 on a 2344 without any passive network or EQ, and the result looks dubious to say the least (no mass roll off?!) :

Name:  2002un10.png
Views: 1394
Size:  34.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I ask this question because someone recently posted a curve of what he claims to be a TD2002 on a 2344 without any passive network or EQ, and the result looks dubious to say the least (no mass roll off?!) :
    The posted plot can not be correct. The TAD TD-2002 is an excellent driver, but it doesn't have a rising response which would be required to compensate for the 2344's natural roll off.

Widget

Just a topical & timely bump ( for someone else ).

Thread Information