Thread: L-100 Quadrex Grills

L-100 Quadrex Grills

I would like to replace the grills on my Century L-100 speakers. I purchased these babies in 1975 and they have been outstanding every day since. The original grills were Quadrex ultra blue. I found a couple companies that apparently make them, but I am unable to contact them for whatever reason. One was Sculpted Foam Innovations ( saw their product on e-Bay, no longer available ), and the other was Foam Trend. Would truly appreciate any help or advice on the subject.

DIY Alternative to Quadrex

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Blake View Post
    I would like to replace the grills on my Century L-100 speakers. I purchased these babies in 1975 and they have been outstanding every day since. The original grills were Quadrex ultra blue. I found a couple companies that apparently make them, but I am unable to contact them for whatever reason. One was Sculpted Foam Innovations ( saw their product on e-Bay, no longer available ), and the other was Foam Trend. Would truly appreciate any help or advice on the subject.
    Hey Mike, Welcome to the forum! The L100 is a fabulous speaker. I restored a pair about a year ago and hooked them up to a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp to test them out for a few days. They have now been sitting there for about a year and I regularly enjoy them. Just cant seem to put them aside even though they are surrounded by many much more expensive and efficient speakers.

On the Quadrex grills, I chose to build an insert of masonite covered with black grill cloth which fits inside the walnut frame for mine. I velcro-ed these in so that they could be removed or replaced. Here are a couple of pics. I have pics of the whole process if you would like them.

I am sure some cool forum person will help you locate the Quadrex here. I have never searched for them.

Happy JBL-ing! Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    On the Quadrex grills, I chose to build an insert of masonite covered with black grill cloth which fits inside the walnut frame for mine. I velcro-ed these in so that they could be removed or replaced. Here are a couple of pics. I have pics of the whole process if you would like them. Happy JBL-ing! Shaan
    Shaan, that looks nice. Good job!

------------------

Mike

Try contacting member sonofagun via PM (private message) here on this site. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...?316-sonofagun

He used to be in the business, though his Web site returns a 404 error.
    Out.

www.foamspeakergrills.com is the wrong site*! Grills is not how grilles is spelled (with an E) for speakers.

Correct site is www.foamspeakergrilles.com

*Only reason I had that address is that I KNEW people would misspell grilles!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    "...though his Web site returns a 404 error."www.foamspeakergrills.com is the wrong site*! Grills is NOT how you spell grilles (with an E) for speakers.Correct site is www.foamspeakergrilles.com*Only reason I had that address is that I KNEW people would misspell grilles!
    Look, it's your site that you still have listed in your profile with that cute "w3" in the address that doesn't work. Maybe you should make it normal instead of lecturing people on their imagined errors. No one ever mentioned "foamspeakergrills." I was trying to get you and a potential customer connected. I forgot why dealing with you is always a disappointing experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 12-03-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: avoid getting banned
    Out.

And all I was trying to do was correct an error; if you thought it was a criticism aimed at you, it wasn't (have edited the post in case) - the reason it only says w3. is when I tried to put in www.foamspeakergrilles.com it wouldn't accept it! It's apparently limited to 25 characters in length!

Dealing with me is not and hasn't been a "disappointing experience" for many, many customers for nearly 40 years now and I have the many letters and emails to prove it:

see: http://foamspeakergrilles.com/testimonials

And here's some more:

"Thank you for the shipment notice and the info regarding gluing. You are most thoughtful.'

" I recevied the foam grills last week and installed them today, very happy with your workmanship, fit and finish. Your instructions were also quite helpful."

"Thanks very much I received them this morning. The look absolutely brilliant and infinitely better quality than the originals."

"Just opened my package from you for my Linn DMS Reference Monitors and I am like a kid on Christmas morning.When you asked me if I wanted my new grills to look like the originals I said yes. My new grills are exactly like the originals, that I truly am pleased is an understatement.Thanks you guy's, you exceeded my expectations."

"Thank you for the grilles. They look great!"

Obsolete
    milliHelen - the amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Just thought I'd toss that in here.

Thread Information