Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LE14H-1 refoam question

when refoaming the le14, do you remove the black rubber ring in between the cone and basket or put new foam over it? does it go basket, gasket foam or basket foam gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    when refoaming the le14, do you remove the black rubber ring in between the cone and basket or put new foam over it? does it go basket, gasket foam or basket foam gasket?
    When you are scraping off the old foam, you will need to remove the rubber ring so that you can scrape off the foam off of the basket (a very thin edge). After you glue the foam to the back of the cone, you glue the rest to the basket, then put the gasket last. As the previous posts said, you may need to glue the foam to the basket first then the cone, and gasket last.

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    the black plastic ring nearly covers the ledge on the basket ...if you don't remove it and clean under it..then there is no ledge to glue to.

when I glued the foam surround to the basket, then put a little extra glue ON TOP of the foam lip for the purpose of holding down the black plastic ring. The ring fits tightly enough to hold down the foam while it is drying. Just push down a bit on the top of the ring and it will be flush with the higher edge of the basket.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi guys, I'm wondering if that plastic ring absolutley has to be replaced? Mine's a real mess with what seems like baked of glue and it doesn't want to budge...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsondog View Post
    Hi guys, I'm wondering if that plastic ring absolutley has to be replaced? Mine's a real mess with what seems like baked of glue and it doesn't want to budge...
    Yes but not replaced, reused. There is only an 1/8" of foam being glued down so the ring adds glue surface to the whole assembly.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Yes but not replaced, reused. There is only an 1/8" of foam being glued down so the ring adds glue surface to the whole assembly.
    Thanks for the speedy reply

Hi all, I've come up with a method for removing the old adhesive from the black plastic trim ring I thought would be worth sharing with the community.
    I used wood glue to apply emery cloth a MDF ring about 8" in diameter left over from another project. Once dry, I used a file to trim off excess cloth that over-hung the edges of the MDF ring. This formed a clean, well fastened curved sanding block. While seated, I held the MDF ring between my knees and began to sand away the old glue with complete control. Using moderate pressure, I rubbed the trim ring back & forth while frequently looking at the result as to not over do and to maintain the original thickness of the trim ring. Within 30 minutes of sanding, I was able to remove all the old adhesive from both edges of both trim rings with ease.
    The emery cloth used (medium) was the equivalent to 120 grit sandpaper.
    Hope this helps

I just softened up the glue with acetone
    and nudged it off with a thumbnail and nail file.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

"removed old foam and cleaned up basket and cone pretty well after removing the black plastic ring."

I inherited a pair of 240ti's in which my le14H-1's are the frame only. My question is since I do not have this black plastic ring, am I wasting my time or does this black plastic ring come as part of a recone kit. I understand the OEM kit is NLA, but I am willing to try an aftermarket kit at this point.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    "removed old foam and cleaned up basket and cone pretty well after removing the black plastic ring."

I inherited a pair of 240ti's in which my le14H-1's are the frame only. My question is since I do not have this black plastic ring, am I wasting my time or does this black plastic ring come as part of a recone kit. I understand the OEM kit is NLA, but I am willing to try an aftermarket kit at this point.

Yank
    How about supplying a photo of the frame in question?

Before cleaning them up.

Name:  JBL LE14 woofer 4.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  142.7 KB
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

I found a kit at a pro dealer and had them recone a -1 for me. It looks like the same ring that was on there originally.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Before cleaning them up.
    I have doubts about whether the plastic trim actually does anything to strengthen the surround, once the surround is glued down. It does help to get the surround edge evenly pressed down while the glue is drying. Without it, you would need to fashion something to accomplish that. But if the surround is glued down well, it shouldn't come off, all by itself. Consider that 14" in diameter is nearly 44" in circumference. That's alot of bonding surface, even if it is only 1/8" thick. Further, once the glue is dried, the bond should be stronger that the foam itself. Personally, I would feel better with the strip applied over the surround, but I doubt it adds any strength to a well glued edge.

Without having at least one plastic trim around to look at, it's difficult to make a suitable replacement. But if I had to make something I would be looking for a piece of heavy/stiff rubber 1/4" thick or less, cutting two strips 44" long. Finding black plastic would be better but I can't think of what you could get off the top of my head. Aluminum that long is available. Could you cut off two 1/4" strips, carefully bend them around something 14" round, paint them black?

All that said, it's really a moot point. You need factory re-cone kits to bring them back to life which would probably come with the trim rings.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    But if the surround is glued down well, it shouldn't come off, all by itself.
    One would think so, but still we have reports of surrounds coming loose on 14 and 18" drivers with no "gasket" to hold it in place. The plastic trim ring does also adhere to the vertical flange and "clamp" the surround in place.

"Glued down well" is the key I suspect. But I would never feel safe in running a LE14H wide open without that ring. Same with the LE10H, it uses the same stuff. The flange is pretty narrow under that surround, not much there to adhere to.

I wonder if places like Orange Co Speaker might know if the plastic ring is available or part of the cone kit.

Why not try JBL parts to see if they can supply the trim ring on its own. They may have some in a dumpster waiting to get picked up.

Seriously as I recall its a quarter round PVC section about 1/8" on the straight edges. Look on the web for PVC trim sections , you might turn something up.
    Worth the effort , it just tidies the job up and makes the speaker look swell.

Failing that you could try stripping the insulation off a suitable cable and then make a little jig to allow you to slit it in half and then half again.

Thread Information