Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1400 Array / SAM1HF Horns

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    YES!!! I would love to play around with a pair of SAM1HFs. I heard the 1400's at the CES show last Saturday and I can't believe how good they sounded.
    Check the date on the post! Ninteen months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    Check the date on the post! Ninteen months old.
    Yep, they have all found their way into member's homes... and it doesn't look like any more will be coming down the pike.

Zilch and I are discussing cloning some of the current crop of JBL horns in a material essentially identical to the JBL sonoglass material, but I am not sure if we would clone the 1400 Array horn because it is unlikely a reliable supply of 045 drivers would be available.

Of course I or any other JBL Synthesis dealer can order SAM1HF modules fully painted and loaded with 045Ti and 435AL drivers for you, but be prepared to spend a bit of cash. These retail for $2500 each.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Zilch and I are discussing cloning some of the current crop of JBL horns in a material essentially identical to the JBL sonoglass material, but I am not sure if we would clone the 1400 Array horn because it is unlikely a reliable supply of 045 drivers would be available.
    You could probably get away with it for your own personal use but I'd be real careful about trying some kind of resale operation.

I know of no way to obtain 045's anymore. Maybe when the JBL loudspeakers that currently use them start showing up on Ebay in years to come?
    Of course I or any other JBL Synthesis dealer can order SAM1HF modules fully painted and loaded with 045Ti and 435AL drivers for you, but be prepared to spend a bit of cash. These retail for $2500 each.

Widget
    Yes, but at some point the Walmart mentality has to cease. They cost what they cost so pony up the cash or go elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken Zilch has come up with quite a few alternatives for people who don't want to spend a ton of cash on this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    You could probably get away with it for your own personal use but I'd be real careful about trying some kind of resale operation.
    I don't think there is much to fear legally... my bigger concern is the ethics of the matter. Since they refuse to offer parts and are no longer interested in the DIY hobbyist market I don't see that there is an ethical issue either.

Obviously one couldn't and shouldn't use any trademarked names or claim that these are JBL products, but offering parts of comparable quality to some of JBL's designs where no alternatives are available seems like a service that shouldn't offend the corporate chieftains.

Widget

Obsolete
    I don't think there is much to fear legally... my bigger concern is the ethics of the matter. Since they refuse to offer parts and are no longer interested in the DIY hobbyist market I don't see that there is an ethical issue either.

Obviously one couldn't and shouldn't use any trademarked names or claim that these are JBL products, but offering parts of comparable quality to some of JBL's designs where no alternatives are available seems like a service that shouldn't offend the corporate chieftains.

Widget
    True.

I don't see why you guys can't come up with an 045 replacement too. Interestingly, Mexico had a hell of a time making the 045Ti's but not the 045Be's. That one had the folks in Northridge scratching their heads. One would have thought that the Be would have been the one that had issues.

And why the need for the 045's anyway? I thought someone figured out that the 2435's merely needed a bit of throat length between them and the waveguides to make it all better? And I thought the waveguides were the be-all, end-all!? Why the interest in big old horns?

If you guys could come up with a 15.25" wide version of the H4338 or H9800 that'd be great. These big old horns look way out of whack with a tiny little fifteen beneath them. You have to put dual fifteens beneath them to make them look right. Of course, those who went vertical don't have such a problem.

Thread Information