Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mastered for iTunes

Mastered for iTunes

Okay, let the frothing and foaming begin.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/"
    [/URL]The iTunes catalog was initially offered in 2003 as 128 kbps AAC files, many of which
    were encoded from the original CD masters. They sounded great—in fact, these
    downloads led the industry in sound quality. More than 100 million songs were sold in
    this format in a little over a year, changing the landscape of legal digital music forever.

But innovation didn’t stop there. Recently, using the most advanced AAC encoder, the
    iTunes catalog was upgraded to iTunes Plus: a variable bit rate (VBR) 256 kbps AAC
    encoding format. iTunes AAC encoders are now able to transparently encode high
    definition audio, creating files that retain the small footprint, portability, and ease of use
    iTunes is known for. And they sound amazing.

I didn't read much beyond this point. I believe, Apple's long term goal of controlling the music industry and it's distribution is clear. How long will it be before record producers/bands won't just be "encouraged" to master records with Apple software, but will have to if they want to sell their music via iTunes. 10, maybe 20 years? Every bit of space in that cloud of theirs has a dollar value. People who have grown up only knowing AAC, iPods, and earbuds will undoubtedly be impressed with the improvement. When in doubt, apply software.

It only makes sense that as an enormous distributor of compressed music and owner of their own format, Apple is getting into the recording quality issue. As long as it's better I say go for it. It could trigger industry competition for better recordings and formats, rather than just creating more monopoly' for iTunes, which of course is evil!

See how I just did that?

Do you have any idea how much music and movies are made on Mac's?

Mac is the music industry standard! Many movies are produced on Mac's.
    Since I work at radio station I deal with all this time. Though we do use wave files for on air, all most all of the audio we receive is in the from of a MP3 of some kind, which we convert to wave.
    A MP3 at 348K sample rate sounds very good, but sadly most use 128K. The fact the Apple is upping the anti to 256k is good.
    The ACC is a very good encoder, thou I prefer the LAME encoder.
    I agree with many that most young people have never listened to really good sound.
    The article provided good guide lines for people producing music that have no clue about good production values.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I didn't read much beyond this point. I believe, Apple's long term goal of controlling the music industry and it's distribution is clear. How long will it be before record producers/bands won't just be "encouraged" to master records with Apple software, but will have to if they want to sell their music via iTunes. 10, maybe 20 years?
    Yeah, and during the mid '80s as Japanese businesses bought up much of America it felt like we'd be speaking Japanese by now... their massive economic bubble changed that. Apple will not always be on top. I appreciate their dedication to quality in their hardware. I just hope the American proclivity towards the inexpensive doesn't replace Apple quality (which was driven by Mr. Jobs) with a cheap copy that is only styling based.

As for iTunes, the store... I have no use for it until they offer 16/44.1 or better, losslessly.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    Since I work at radio station I deal with all this time. Though we do use wave files for on air, all most all of the audio we receive is in the from of a MP3 of some kind, which we convert to wave.
    A MP3 at 348K sample rate sounds very good, but sadly most use 128K.
    I listen to a lot of NPR. Frequently I'll notice that an interview has audible compression artifacts. The voice is still intelligible, but digital space just isn't that dear... I wish the producers would pay for a little more data transmission. If it jumps out at you in a car, it is pretty bad.

I agree with many that most young people have never listened to really good sound.
    Yes and no... a heck of a lot of the younger set are setting up turntables and spinning vintage as well as new vinyl. There may be a nostalgic resurgence towards better sound... for example, I don't think that the "Beats" generation are wearing the big cans for fidelity, it is fashion, but the side benefit is that they are listening to something significantly better than the disposable earbuds that come with iPods and other players.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yeah, and during the mid '80s as Japanese businesses bought up much of America it felt like we'd be speaking Japanese by now... their massive economic bubble changed that. Apple will not always be on top. I appreciate their dedication to quality in their hardware. I just hope the American proclivity towards the inexpensive doesn't replace Apple quality (which was driven by Mr. Jobs) with a cheap copy that is only styling based.

As for iTunes, the store... I have no use for it until they offer 16/44.1 or better losslessly.

Widget
    I use it from time to time--maybe four or five times a year--to get music I just can't find (legally) anywhere else.

I get a lot more content off emusic, which is less expensive but limits files to an average 192kbs using the variable bit LAME mp3 encoder.

If anyone bothered to read all ten pages of the PDF on the Mastered for iTunes page, it's a simple but useful primer for aspiring recordists and masterers who may not encounter any of this information elsewhere. It at least broaches topics that are often lamented on this forum as the foundation of criticism of much current, recorded music.

http://images.apple.com/itunes/maste...for_itunes.pdf
    Out.

Voice over IP is becoming the norm.

I listen to a lot of NPR. Frequently I'll notice that an interview has audible compression artifacts. The voice is still intelligible, but digital space just isn't that dear... I wish the producers would pay for a little more data transmission. If it jumps out at you in a car, it is pretty bad.

Yes and no... a heck of a lot of the younger set are setting up turntables and spinning vintage as well as new vinyl. There may be a nostalgic resurgence towards better sound... for example, I don't think that the "Beats" generation are wearing the big cans for fidelity, it is fashion, but the side benefit is that they are listening to something significantly better than the disposable earbuds that come with iPods and other players.

Widget

In general I don't like Voice over IP, But I'm stuck with it, it comes down to bandwidth. I do use VOIP but on studio grade units that cost about $3K and the ACC encoded is the standard one to use.
    Yes I know there has been a revival of vinyl, but it is small compared to MP3 players and ear buds.
    I know I look out of place on the train with my AKG headphones, but I have quite ride with good sound.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

a heck of a lot of the younger set are setting up turntables and spinning vintage as well as new vinyl.
    sure, but realize that there is a huge difference between NEW and OLD vinyl. And as you know, the trend is to higher quality , heavier vinyl and to better carts/styli. I see a lot of low volume, Indie productions released only on MP3 and vinyl in our area.

There seems to be many that get their feet wet with cheap USB TT's and then progress up the ladder.

I once read an imaginary argument between 2 audiophiles ...1st one was going on and on about his super high digital sampling rates approaching 99.9 % ....the vinylphile says "thats nothing, I've been sampling at 100% for years"

I don't think that the "Beats" generation are wearing the big cans for fidelity, it is fashion, but the side benefit is that they are listening to something significantly better than the disposable earbuds that come with iPods and other players.
    Widget

thats sorta funny ...many Pods don't drive big cans very well.

when I've gone to the local record shows, there seem to be 2 major groups of buyers ....those older (55+) who are on a nostalgia trip and those at 30 or less. Not much in the middle. The under 30's that I've met will buy just about any POC plastic TT just to be fashionable. It's a fashion/lifestyle statement (at least here) to be purchasing and spinning licorice pizzas.

as to the expectation of quality today, I can say (as a NON-cellphone user) that the quality when someone calls me on one is horrible ...have rarely had a conversation with someone on a cell where the quality approached a wired land line. And that is seen as an OK tradeoff for the convenience.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I use it from time to time--maybe four or five times a year--to get music I just can't find (legally) anywhere else.

I get a lot more content off emusic, which is less expensive but limits files to an average 192kbs using the variable bit LAME mp3 encoder.

If anyone bothered to read all ten pages of the PDF on the Mastered for iTunes page, it's a simple but useful primer for aspiring recordists and masterers who may not encounter any of this information elsewhere. It at least broaches topics that are often lamented on this forum as the foundation of criticism of much current, recorded music.

http://images.apple.com/itunes/maste...for_itunes.pdf
    But seriously...

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, I have had to grudgingly use it myself. The more I read, the more I liked. They are such an industry powerhouse they could use their power for good at a time when the industry really needs it.

In general I don't like Voice over IP, But I'm stuck with it, it comes down to bandwidth. I do use VOIP but on studio grade units that cost about $3K and the ACC encoded is the standard one to use.
    Yes I know there has been a revival of vinyl, but it is small compared to MP3 players and ear buds.
    I know I look out of place on the train with my AKG headphones, but I have quite ride with good sound.
    jcrobso

Not sure what you are saying. VOIP is using the internet for telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Why would we... unless we are in the music biz?

I think it's great that they are suggesting that folks who want to record music and sell it through their "store" elevate their product offering, but I am not sure how that affects me. I doubt I'll be buying any of it. As for the "poor quality of today's music" Scott Fitlin RIP, the new music I buy from Kate Bush, Nora Jones, Mark Knopfler, Herbie Hancock, etc., etc... are all better recorded than the typical offerings from the '70s or '80s. I suppose if my musical tastes leaned towards dance/club music or contemporary pop I might feel differently.

Widget

I remember from my DJ days in Canada , the import vinyl was always a better recording on heavier vinyl .
    ECM and Bluenote+ and a lot of independent labels release vinyl ,but how wants to pay £30-40 each ? There are more and more HD tracks available from the musicians websites to download these days .

Rich

I think it's great that they are suggesting that folks who want to record music and sell it through their "store" elevate their product offering, but I am not sure how that affects me. I doubt I'll be buying any of it. As for the "poor quality of today's music" Scott Fitlin RIP, the new music I buy from Kate Bush, Nora Jones, Mark Knopfler, Herbie Hancock, etc., etc... are all better recorded than the typical offerings from the '70s or '80s. I suppose if my musical tastes leaned towards dance/club music or contemporary pop I might feel differently.

Widget
    Yes indeed, why would you? It's not like it's the topic of this thread you're commenting in or anything.
    Out.

Widget
    Not that you have to care, or care much, but how the implementation of compressed music/sound files affects you is all around you. You commented on the sound quality of NPR. Whether we like it or not, it all rolls down hill.

Thread Information