Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heil with a JBL woofer

RobH,

Nice!

Looks quite natural with that 12".

Are you going to create a passive network for this ?

BTW, I've seen a few other references to these large Heils that seem to indicate they're not as sensitive as what you showed in your first post that had them reaching 105db ( something like 5db less than that ).

Did you measure/calibrate at 1M with 2.83 Volts ?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have both a 212 Ultrabass and ESS bookshelves (10 inchers) . Havn't opened the UB to verify that it's a 121a, but have refoamed the ESS driver. It's a high quality alloy casting and I have no disappointments with it.
    The UB was never spectacular, tho the veneer was great. So when I read the above statement, my eyes rolled.
    I don't disagree with what your ears have been telling you. The 121A was not the right driver for the ultra bass... the Xmax is limited and the design while a great concept was flawed from the beginning.

Unfortunately I was thinking of the 124A/2203 which is a great 12" woofer. The 121A has too much mass and while a good sub for the day, is probably not the last word in a 2-way with the AMT... but it'll be fun for sure and Rob can chime in when he has them dialed in.

Widget

I don't disagree with what your ears have been telling you. The 121A was not the right driver for the ultra bass... the Xmax is limited and the design while a great concept was flawed from the beginning.

Unfortunately I was thinking of the 124A/2203 which is a great 12" woofer. The 121A has too much mass and while a good sub for the day, is probably not the last word in a 2-way with the AMT... but it'll be fun for sure and Rob can chime in when he has them dialed in.
    Hello Widget

The difference in moving mass between an LE-14-3 and a 121A is 20 grams. Same motor strength as far as I can tell. You take a hit in sensitivity but if it is indeed "slower" I can't hear it. Side by side I don't think so maybe? It's not obvious to me not like comparing at say E-145's which is another animal entirely.

To fix the issue as used in the L212 all you have to do is put them in a vented box. In my current box and tuning I get an F3 @ 27Hz and I can run full power, 100 watts, into them down to about 22hz before I have an issue with over excursion. No problem with the vent speed. Sealed would be another issue entirely as there is not enough excursion for EQ without really limiting the power into them. This way they are fine for music. Limited max SPL though to about 111db for 100watts for the pair which is just fine for stereo.

Also did a full up sweep to 5k looking for break up modes in the phase curve and there are none there nice and smooth. So same cone as a 2203/124A stiffer spider and heavier mass ring.

I am sure the 2203 might be more dynamic as the difference there is 60 grams but you won't get the extended low end in a 2.2 cubic ft box either. It's all about trade offs. No free lunch!

Having fun playing with these things.

Hello Earl

That was not a 2.83 measurement they are less sensitive but they are just fine the way they are. This is staying a bi-amp set-up nice and easy!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Does anyone else have their Heils up and running from the sale? I have been enjoying mine not used to dipoles though. My first speaker system using a dipole driver. They sound nice in this room but different from either horns or cones and domes. Depending on how you place them you can get different overall sound stage presentation by aiming the reflections and changing the toe-in.

I finely got a pair of short racks to get the bi-amp set-up off the floor that are good looking and really inexpensive. Currently running 3 PS-200's two bridged in mono and a stereo for the Heils. The source is a Denon universal DVD going HDMI into my Integra and finally balanced interconnects into the crossover. Lot's of fun trying different CD's to see what's up.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a bump has anyone else who got them in the sale have them up and running?? Seen some posting on DIY not much here. I am really enjoying mine!

Rob

Are you running JBL 2235 with your Heils? At which frequency are they crossed? TIA.

cleaning an old HD

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Heil with a JBL woofer

Anyone ever copy/replicate the crossover Dennis Murphy for a custom pair of Salk speakers?
    I believe it was at about 1600 hz.

Just another bump. Got my cabinets refinished holes plugged and old crossovers removed. Anyone else get them up and going?

Rob

I was playing with the ESS Heil I got last year from the same sale. Put them with the 2216ND-1 which surprising sound not bad!

Will post pics and measurements this weekend.

That was early last week, but I remember in my measurement the Heil drops off pretty quickly after 10kHz. Your measurements looks much better.

Also I was driving them active crossover and for the Heil I used a 2A3 amp that only have 8 Ohm tap. They are definitely clipping but not sure due to the load being too low impedance or just purely not enough power to drive the Heil.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    That was early last week, but I remember in my measurement the Heil drops off pretty quickly after 10kHz. Your measurements looks much better.

Also I was driving them active crossover and for the Heil I used a 2A3 amp that only have 8 Ohm tap. They are definitely clipping but not sure due to the load being too low impedance or just purely not enough power to drive the Heil.
    The ESS drivers offer a ribbon like flat impedance curve that is pretty benign.
    With the role off and clipping, it sounds like you should try a different amp, if only as a sanity check.

Widget

With the role off and clipping, it sounds like you should try a different amp, if only as a sanity check.
    They certainly do but combined with a network you have to watch them as they can end up going low under 4 ohms.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    I will definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They certainly do but combined with a network you have to watch them as they can end up going low under 4 ohms.

Rob
    I am driving them directly from the amp. I haven't found any impedance plots online.

I googled for Heil AMT FR plots and some of them do exhibit roll off but some don't. very strange.

I will try different amps. SS, class d, tube with 4 ohm tap, for a good sampling.

Thread Information