Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

what amp?

OK, I'll bite, what is the new amp?

From my own experiences, currently running all Parasound P7 pre-amp/HCA2205A combo, if I were ever to get the Salon2, Array1400, 9900, Everest II, my first amp upgrade, and maybe the only upgrade, would be a pair of Parasound JC-1 mono blocks ($4500/ea) with a JC-2 pre-amp ($3500). For what those cost, I don't think better amps can be had.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Hi,
    Did TitaniumDome had sub to his K2 S9900 ? Can you tell more about the last set up ?
    frequency, cross over, cabs... I am curious.
    Regards Stephane

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Sorry for the delay, but the answer is...

ATI.

I should start a thread in the consumer amps forum, and I promise I will. For right now, I'll say that this is one of the amp manufacturers I asked the both the designer and the dealer about and they were kind in their comments.

EDIT: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ATI-Amplifiers
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-08-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: link available
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    Hi,
    Did TitaniumDome had sub to his K2 S9900 ? Can you tell more about the last set up ?
    frequency, cross over, cabs... I am curious.
    Bon soir, caladois. J'espère que votre vie est joyeuse, et la France prospère.

I added two JBL S2S Synthesis® subs, and as 4313B correctly pointed out, they are not of the same caliber as the K2 S9900. Fortunately, I am not asking them to be K2s, but only LF producers below 40 Hz, so I am comfortable that these passive, 15" transducer, front ported subs can do what I ask of them. I corresponded with the designer who felt this was an acceptable approach to complementing the K2s, and certainly the price I paid was far, far below a 1500 Array or something of comparable quality.

When I purchased the ATI amps for the K2s, I got three channel amps for each side, so a K2 gets two channels and an S2S gets the third channel. Thus, one channel goes to the K2 HF and UHF drivers, one channel goes to the K2 woofer, and one channel goes to the S2S, which receives frequencies crossed over below 40 Hz.

The pre/pro has balanced outputs, including two sub outputs, so it does the crossover very neatly at 40 Hz.

All in all, it's very, very nice. Chaque nuit ma chérie veut écouter la musique. Est-ce que ce n'est pas incroyable ?

http://jblsynthesis.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prdid=39
    Out.

"Nuits blanches pour Titanium Dome"

Good to hear you. I was just wondering if only one sub wouldn't be enough in domestic room ?
    Regards Stephane

Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    "Nuits blanches pour Titanium Dome"

Good to hear you. I was just wondering if only one sub wouldn't be enough in domestic room ?
    Nuits blanches mais complètement d'intimité, oui?

The room is really four rooms in one, so 32' x 36' of open space on three levels with 4' of elevation from the lowest to the highest floor and ceilings at 8', 10, 14', and 26'. Between the rooms (living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen) there are no walls, only steps up or down.

It's a lot of space.
    Out.

Sorry Dome, OT here but...

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post

From my own experiences, currently running all Parasound P7 pre-amp/HCA2205A combo, if I were ever to get the Salon2, Array1400, 9900, Everest II, my first amp upgrade, and maybe the only upgrade, would be a pair of Parasound JC-1 mono blocks ($4500/ea) with a JC-2 pre-amp ($3500). For what those cost, I don't think better amps can be had.
    We recently bought a pair of JC-1s for our demo Everests... we did this after hearing the marked improvement a pair of JC-1s made on the sound of the Salon2s we sold to a customer... he had been using a pair of uber expensive "audiophile" amps... we sold him the Salons and he wasn't happy with the sound in his room, we brought over a Halo A21 and he was blown away... he ordered a pair of JC-1s and once we installed them we were blown away. We hadn't sold any previously even though the reviews were so good... who believes those reviews anyway?

Talking with Richard Schram, Parasound's founder, he told us that he heard the JC-1s on Everests and they take the massive back emf from those 1501ALs with a grace that few amplifier designs can... we are believers. Interestingly the triple small woofers in the big Revels caused a similar issue for several of the amps we used with them as well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    he had been using a pair of uber expensive "audiophile" amps... we sold him the Salons and he wasn't happy with the sound in his room, we brought over a Halo A21 and he was blown away... he ordered a pair of JC-1s and once we installed them we were blown away. We hadn't sold any previously even though the reviews were so good... who believes those reviews anyway?

Widget
    It's on thread, sort of, in that I borrowed a number of respected names to try here, and I ended up with ATI, a brand even less seriously considered than Parasound for use by high end consumers.
    Out.

Isnt ATI the people who make the synthesis amps?
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Isnt ATI the people who make the synthesis amps?
    Yes, Synthesis®, Performance Series AVA7, Crestron, Theta, B&K, BGW, Audioaccess, and one or two I probably shouldn't mention.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Yes, Synthesis®, Performance Series AVA7, Crestron, Theta, B&K, BGW, Audioaccess, and one or two I probably shouldn't mention.
    Why stop there? Mention them all!
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Don't be shy !
    Regards Stephane

A year later...

You're square in the mark, Rich. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, especially with the K2s in the house. Every JBL I listen to with regularity has one thing in common: Greg Timbers had a hand in it.

True, I still have the L7s, the L100s, 4430s, and the SVAs among others. Yet they've been relegated to "occasional" status. Heck, I'm even trying to sell some of them.

Right now I'm grooving on the L250s in my office. Tonight, I'll be having a little XPL200 delight, followed by some K2 heaven. This weekend the One Array system and the Performance Series will be on tap, and the S/2600s will be on in the bedroom as they are every day.

There's a sense of needing to do something to recognize the genius behind so many systems that give me and others so much pleasure. This is especially true considering the near extinction of JBL at the Harman Campus in Northridge. He (and others no doubt) should be recognized while still a part of Harman, not after the whole thing is flushed. I was actually thinking about a number of ways this could be done, including maybe hosting an event where the man and many of his systems could be in the same place. Hmm. We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    And, truthfully, IMO, you have done the 1st and MOST important thing, and you will continue to do the second on a daily basis, maybe even many times a day!

1. YOU purchased a pair of K2 S9900!

2. YOU, and your family will use and listen to your K2 EVERY DAY!

Greg Timbers has made his indelible mark on you, as he has so many, and you have his creations, as working and functioning art exhibits to be a part of your life indefinitely. To me, IF I were a speaker designer/engineer, this would mean more to me than all the technical awards, and measurements. You hear and feel what it is he hears and feels. This epitomizes the definition of the word CLASSIC, because the K2 will be timeless, and a part of your life for a long, long time to come, and many others, too!

A person such as Greg Timbers has to smile when he reads forums like these, his recent flagship creations are considered to be without peer, and that is a huge testament to him within itself. But, when you sit back, and read about people still going bonkers over speaker systems like the L100, something like half a century later, as well as all his other designs before, during and after, the man is, without a doubt, A LIVING MONUMENT!

JBL, was more than fortunate as a company, as this one particular company has had so many of the very best audio artisans throughout time, from their beginning to the present. And this is what I call HISTORY!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Now that would be something!
    It sure beats some of the other stuff he's read!
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    My suggestion would be to host this in cooperation with Erling Neby. Then all the great JBL's would be in one place. AND i would be able to attend.
    This thread has rested for a year. It hardly seems like the K2s have been part of our lives for that long. This evening I grilled some chicken breast outside with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce; sautéed some green beans, peppers, garlic, and onions in olive oil; baked some split white potatoes open faced over the grill; and assembled a simple salad of thinly sliced tomato, cottage cheese, and sliced strawberries. As soon as she got home, Huiky went straight to the K2 set up, popped in Phil Keaggy's "Splash" CD from Music To Paint By, and remarked how much she enjoys coming home to a wonderful home smelling of good food and sounding of beautiful music.

It got me thinking about how long we've loved these things together and how the K2s took her in a direction that I hadn't anticipated. It got me thinking about the magical nature of a well-crafted product created by men of genius, and how inspired work can enrich our lives. Then I thought about one of Scotty J's last posts and the posts that surrounded it, including about Greg Timbers and all he's done (and all he's endured) at JBL and now Harman. I've not followed through on that simple idea of finding a way for me and anyone else who can join in to show him some respect and gratitude, and probably not him alone.

I think I need to follow that idea to fulfillment. Who's coming to or near LA this summer? I think I can get a few local folks to show up, but if some of the other members were coming this way, I would try to schedule this so they could make it, too.

Mods/admins: Can we create some kind of special award for just such an occasion? (Sure, I'll pay for it. Just say "Yes." )

If I get a sense of who might be interested, I can decide if I can host it here or should rent a nearby eatery then come here afterword... it all depends on others' interests and availability. Otherwise, I guess Huiky and I can do it ourselves, but I think the odds are better if it's more of a Lansing Heritage event.

Anyone?
    Out.

This thread has rested for a year. It hardly seems like the K2s have been part of our lives for that long. This evening I grilled some chicken breast outside with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce; sautéed some green beans, peppers, garlic, and onions in olive oil; baked some split white potatoes open faced over the grill; and assembled a simple salad of thinly sliced tomato, cottage cheese, and sliced strawberries. As soon as she got home, Huiky went straight to the K2 set up, popped in Phil Keaggy's "Splash" CD from Music To Paint By, and remarked how much she enjoys coming home to a wonderful home smelling of good food and sounding of beautiful music.

It got me thinking about how long we've loved these things together and how the K2s took her in a direction that I hadn't anticipated. It got me thinking about the magical nature of a well-crafted product created by men of genius, and how inspired work can enrich our lives. Then I thought about one of Scotty J's last posts and the posts that surrounded it, including about Greg Timbers and all he's done (and all he's endured) at JBL and now Harman. I've not followed through on that simple idea of finding a way for me and anyone else who can join in to show him some respect and gratitude, and probably not him alone.

I think I need to follow that idea to fulfillment. Who's coming to or near LA this summer? I think I can get a few local folks to show up, but if some of the other members were coming this way, I would try to schedule this so they could make it, too.

Mods/admins: Can we create some kind of special award for just such an occasion? (Sure, I'll pay for it. Just say "Yes." )

If I get a sense of who might be interested, I can decide if I can host it here or should rent a nearby eatery then come here afterword... it all depends on others' interests and availability. Otherwise, I guess Huiky and I can do it ourselves, but I think the odds are better if it's more of a Lansing Heritage event.

Anyone?
    Very nice sentiment, TD.
    David F
    San Jose

If I was on your coast I would like to come by. I am sure it would be lot's of fun.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information