Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Eargle Passing

Eargle Obituary in ProSound News

http://www.prosoundnews.com/publish/...es_at_76.shtml

At the bottom of their article is a link to the John M Eargle Rememberence Blog
    www.johnmeargle.com
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

& Marketing
    (212) 481-3456 Ext. 16
    [email protected]

JBL REGRETS THE PASSING OF JOHN EARGLE

Company marks the passing of an industry and corporate legend with plans to memorialize his legacy.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 15, 2007 — JBL Professional today announced the passing of John Morgan Eargle at the age of 76. Dr. Sidney Harman, founder and executive chairman of Harman International Industries, the parent company of JBL, made the announcement.

In announcing the passing, Dr. Harman called Eargle an industry legend and commended his 31 years of contributions to the JBL and Harman family of companies. “The industry lost a giant with the passing of John Eargle,” Dr. Harman said today, “but we at JBL and Harman International lost a beloved and revered member of our family. John Eargle cannot be replaced, but his life, his vision, and his many contributions to our industry can and will be memorialized in concrete ways by our company.”

John Eargle joined JBL as a consultant in 1976, and shortly thereafter moved to a full-time position as Vice President of Product Development for a six-year period. In the early 1980's he returned to a consulting role with the title Senior Director, Product Development and Application, the position he held for the rest of his life.

John participated in product development activities for both the Professional and Consumer divisions of JBL, for Harman Becker on branded car sound systems, and for other Harman divisions such as AKG microphones. He wrote extensively for the companies, creating articles, applications and technical notes, owner's manuals and others materials in support of products and their use in recording and sound reinforcement. He championed the concept of flat power response in sound reinforcement applications, and conceived of the application of the Bi-Radial® constant-coverage horns to both studio monitors and cinema systems. In 2002 John received a Scientific and Engineering Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences along with other JBL engineers for the concept, design and engineering of the modern constant-directivity, direct radiator style motion picture loudspeaker systems.

He had just completed the book "The JBL Story: 60 Years of Audio Innovation" and had previously co-authored "JBL Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement" which are among ten books on audio, loudspeakers, microphones and recording which he had authored. Many of his books have long been used as texts at the university level.

In recording, he was a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS), and had engineered and/or produced over 275 Compact Discs. He was at the forefront of the development of multi-channel surround sound. Jazz recordings which he engineered for Joe Williams and Ruth Brown were awarded Grammys, and in 2001 he was awarded the Grammy for Best-Engineered Album, Classical for Dvorák: Requiem, Op. 89; Sym. No. 9, Op. 95 "From the New World."

He had a deep commitment to education, presenting at many forums as a guest lecturer and serving on numerous panels and committees. He taught at the Aspen Audio Recording Institute for more than 20 years, in concert with JBL and Harman support of the Aspen Music Festival and School, and was a member of their corporate board.

John Morgan Eargle was born on January 6, 1931 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He received degrees in music and electrical engineering from the Eastman School of Music (B.M.), University of Michigan (M.M.), University of Texas (B.S.E.E.), and Cooper Union (M.E.). He was a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences; a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; a member of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers; a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers; a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America and reviewer of electro-acoustical patents for the ASA Journal; and a Fellow, Honorary Member, and past-president of the Audio Engineering Society, a member of the AES Journal Review Board and was awarded the AES Bronze Medal.

John Eargle is survived by brother Robert Gray Eargle, sister Pauline Tennison Eargle Dahlgren, nephew John Paul Eargle and five additional nieces and nephews, all of Texas. Funeral arrangements will be private. Industry colleagues have established a remembrance Website at www.johnmeargle.com Plans are underway for a memorial convocation for friends and associates to be held in the near future.

About JBL Professional:
    Headquartered in Northridge, California, JBL Professional is the world’s leading designer, manufacturer, and marketer of professional loudspeakers for recording and broadcast, musician, cinema, touring sound, commercial sound and contracting applications. JBL Professional is the proud recipient of the 2005 Technical GRAMMY® award. JBL Professional is part of the Harman International network of professional and consumer audio companies. For complete product and company information, go to the JBL Professional website at www.jblpro.com.

About the Harman Pro Group:
    The Harman Pro Group (www.harmanpro.com) is the world’s largest provider of professional audio products and system solutions for commercial sound, contracting, tour sound, recording and broadcast, musician, portable PA and cinema applications. The Group is headquartered in Northridge, California and includes industry leaders AKG Acoustics, BSS Audio, Crown International, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Soundcraft, and Studer. The Group is part of Harman International Industries, Incorporated (NYSE: HAR. Harman International designs, manufactures, and markets a wide range of products for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. Its brands include Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson® and Infinity®. The company maintains a strong presence in the Americas, Europe, and Asia and employs more than 10,500 people.

###

Don...

I would like to send you my pristine copy of Handbook of Sound System Design. It is in new condition. Is the 416-167 address still good...?

Now, do let us know what the forum can do for Eargle's family, and legacy. We have ample funds in treasury, as you know.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thank you very much Bo. That address is still good.

On a related note, I received a parcel from JBL on Saturday. Inside was John's "The JBL Story" autographed with a personal note of thanks. He dated it May 3, just four days before he passed away.

I have been in correspondence with Tom Holman who is coordinating the tribute site to John Eargle referenced above. He believes that John's family is looking at a private funeral ceremony, though this has not been confirmed. Tom is looking towards a public tribute to be held some months from now as they want to give enough advance notice to allow as many people as possible to make plans to attend. No venue has been established yet.

Tom indicated that he was interested in photos of John, so I put up a temporary web page that has all of the photos of him that we have taken. If you are interested, they can be seen here:

http://test.audioheritage.org/eargle.htm

One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

Don

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

Thanks for those photos too Don.

Don
    That is an excellent idea.

scottyj

Don

Don
    I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I know you and John communicated on a fairly regular basis. The industry has lost an important contributor. Condolences to his family.

Ken

Sorry for your loss, but I did not knew him, and therefore I can't say anything.

Eargle Tribute June 14 and Memorial Scholarship

DETAILS CONFIRMED FOR JOHN M. EARGLE
    MEMORIAL TRIBUTE AND AES EDUCATIONAL
    FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Memorial Event to be Held in Hollywood, Educational
    Fund Announced for Donations.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 25, 2007 — Following up on the passing earlier this month of audio industry pioneer John M. Eargle, details were today confirmed for a memorial tribute to the life and work of John Eargle to take place in Los Angeles on June 14th.
    The event will be held at the Linwood Dunn Theater of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, 1313 North Vine Street (at Fountain) in Hollywood, California. The event will begin at 8:00PM, with a pre-reception starting at 6:30PM. A number of friends and colleagues from the many areas of the audio industry who John touched have been asked to speak on the personal and professional impact that John had on them and the many areas of his endeavors. All friends and colleagues of John are welcome to attend.

In addition, a scholarship fund has been established in John’s name under the auspices of the Audio Engineering Society’s Educational Foundation. The John M. Eargle Memorial Scholarship will be given to a deserving student who combines the attributes of engineering capability and musical interests in the tradition of John Eargle. The Scholarship is being established with an initial donation from JBL/Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Contributions should be made by check to the AES Educational Foundation with instructions to credit the Eargle Fund. They should be mailed to: AES Educational Foundation, Robert Sherwood, Treasurer, One Wolf’s Lane, Pelham, NY, 10803. All contributions will be acknowledged.

Thank You

Rob

Obsolete
    Thank You Mark.

My condolences to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mgander View Post
    DETAILS CONFIRMED FOR JOHN M. EARGLE
    MEMORIAL TRIBUTE AND AES EDUCATIONAL
    FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Nice to see he wll have a lasting legacy with the scholarship. We should all be so fortunate as to have gained that kind of respect.

Ken

....One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

Don
    After reading through all of the posts in the tribute website (http://www.johnmeargle.com/wordpress/), I realize how much influence and how many lives John Eargle touched and what a truly great man our community, the industry, and the world has lost.

I intend to make a small donation to the AES Educational Foundation Eargle Fund. I was thinking though. If others on this Forum who didn't personally know him are also going to donate to the Fund, I think our contributions might carry more significance if we send our contributions in to Lansing Heritage, earmarked for the John Eargle Fund, and then the LH Forum Treasurer can make one collective donation to the fund in the name of Lansing Heritage. Perhaps with a certain % matching from the LH Forum itself. Does this sound like something the Forum would want to do or am I just creating more work for our already overburdened treasurer?

Obsolete
    I think it's an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
    the LH Forum Treasurer can make one collective donation to the fund in the name of Lansing Heritage.
    Thats a great idea. If Bo is up to the task of course.

Ken

Thread Information