Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles LOVE CD

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    (snip)

CD 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate. Compared to Lossless DVD-A or DTS 96/24, or DTS 20 bit 5.1 music dics.
    And they have the nerve to call it CD quality. Now there is an oxymoron.
    As I recall, the flippin' music industry railroaded this standard through to prevent full digital copies at 48 kHz. The audio equipment manufacturers were ready to go 48 khz. Of course, the recording industry has a history of screwing its partners and customers to protect its greed machine.

Of course it not only compromised CDs but totally f***ed the potential of DAT in the process, along with the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.

The OL took off last night and left me home alone. I had not REALLY been able to audition the big OHM F's until then.

So I found my son's copy of BEATLES -LOVE and tossed it in the Carver CD.

Was transfixed. what a great recording. There were 3 or 4 passages ( walrus, octupus garden , come together and SPLHCB ) where I got FULL BODY GOOSEBUMPS from the sound/bass it produced. So enjoyable that I listened to the whole thing again......wonderfull, highly recommended.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Love

My wife just gave me this recording this past weekend. I'm particularly knocked out by the seamless musical "collages" (such as "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite") that I found peculiarly moving, emotionally, and in a way I don't think a person too young to remember hearing the various components of these collages as something new and different could experience. It's a sort of "recursive" and self-referencing thing that probably wouldn't work without the initial experience. I'm not saying I like these new arrangements "better" OR "less" than the original releases, which I think of as definitive, but they are certainly quite beautiful. I'm hoping for more.

whizzer

Nice observations on the collages. I, too, am moved by them in a surprising way. The more I listen to them, the more I hear, and it's all old and new at the same time: old memories, sounds, events, even smells associated with each snippet, yet coming together like an omelet in a delicious, new, tasty treat.

I think you're right that familiarity with the originals helps; nevertheless, I wish I could be a novice listening for the first time, then going back to the originals to get the source. In literature this works wonderfully in both directions: precedent and antecedent.

MJC
    I don't think I've ever heard the Love album. About the only Beatle's album I ever liked was Abby Road.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard the Love album. About the only Beatle's album I ever liked was Abby Road.
    Yeah, its that new one that was remixed by Sir George Martin and his son Giles to be an audio accompaniment to a Cirque de Soleil show in Vegas. Its a sort of mash-up by the Master ...
    Very cool stuff, I hear - if you are ok with Beatles released since the black plastic platters of yore.

I've not made the purchase yet - I don't have SACD or DVD-A gear yet (to my knowledge). My Audio CD player is an HK changer, bought used last year strictly to take advantage of a number of HDCD discs I had, and a JVC DVD player that does all kinds of formats including DivX (for all my Doctor Who and Torchwood dloads), Camera memory cards, and MP3 CDs (don't use that feature. But apparently not DVD-A - and I'm out of inputs on the receiver!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Very cool stuff, I hear -I've not made the purchase yet
    Heather, I've listened to it 3 times in the last 2 days. Had not purchased a CD for years, but the recording quality is so good, I could not resist.

The opening a capella "because" will just blow you away. I kept looking around the room , hoping to get a glance of one of the fab 4. They sounded like they were in the room.

Some cuts have superlative bass lines. This CD should be the standard demo disk for HiEnd audio stores, and anyone with a system as nice as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I, too, am moved by them in a surprising way. The more I listen to them, the more I hear, and it's all old and new at the same time: old memories, sounds, events, even smells associated with each snippet, yet coming together like an omelet in a delicious, new, tasty treat..
    TD..
    I wish I could have said it as well as you did. Were you a reviewer in a prior life ??

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Heather, I've listened to it 3 times in the last 2 days. Had not purchased a CD for years, but the recording quality is so good, I could not resist.

The opening a capella "because" will just blow you away. I kept looking around the room , hoping to get a glance of one of the fab 4. They sounded like they were in the room.

Some cuts have superlative bass lines. This CD should be the standard demo disk for HiEnd audio stores, and anyone with a system as nice as yours.
    Thank you! - I gather the album (yes, tell I'm "of an era") comes as a CD or as a DVD-Audio release - and you got the CD version in your Carver CD player?
    Hmm . maybe I should dump my old JVC single disc player (rarely used anymore) ... I do have a lead on a Carver CD player locally - what can you tell me about Carver Disc players?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thank you! - I gather the album (yes, tell I'm "of an era") comes as a CD or as a DVD-Audio release - and you got the CD version in your Carver CD player?
    Hmm . maybe I should dump my old JVC single disc player (rarely used anymore) ... I do have a lead on a Carver CD player locally - what can you tell me about Carver Disc players?
    HJ
    the Carver is silky smooth. The TL (time lens) was the last product actually designed by Carver before the board kicked him out. I found mine in a pile of VCRs at GW. Took it home and powered up only to get a "disk error" . Pulled the cover and noticed that one of the support posts in the drive mech had fatigued and would shift position when the drawer closed....ie: alignment error.
    Reglued it and its been perfect.
    dont know if this is a common flaw, but if you find one reasonably priced showing this err, it is an easy fix, dont be afraid of it. All the rest is quality construction. Dont know details of the DAC , but it sounds great.
    They are not usually over $100 on eBay.
    Yes, I got the CD version of "LOVE"

Just got back from Best Buy and purchased the CD. Opened it up and put it in my car cd player. Wow, I am amazed!

After I finish typing this, I will go put it on my real system and give it a whirl.

Can't wait! Will post review.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    TD..
    I wish I could have said it as well as you did. Were you a reviewer in a prior life ??
    No, but I taught English at Western Michigan University for four years in the early 80s. I also got to teach film there. I was there when Lennon died and made the students sit through a memorial to him and his music. Took my L100s, turntable, and receiver into class with me to play the music.

It's great to hear him so alive and sassy on Beatles LOVE. It's equally wonderful to hear George sounding young, healthy, and full of joy.

(snip)
    Heather

I think it comes in two packages. One is the CD alone, and the other is a two disc CD and DVD-A combo. I bought the combo pack at Target for just a couple of bucks more that the CD alone, and even then it was under $16 at the time.

I'm not sure if the CD package has it, but I got a nice, colorful, 28-page booklet with intros by George and Giles Martin, a little technical info, and page after page of pictures. For those who got the CD, was the booklet in there, too?

TD

Got the booklet in mine.

Decided not to get the $19.99 version with 5.1 on it. Instead, just bought the CD and it was $13.99 at Best Buy.

-Storm.

Finished listening to entire album.

What a treat - love those guys!

Wish I was born during that era - would have loved to see them in action.

Oh well, this CD is the next best thing - I suppose.

Very nice work on mixing - and the transitions to each song are superbly executed.

Plan to listen to this CD again in the morning and it is for sure going in my favorites pile.

Thanks for this thread, or else I would have never even heard of the CD. Good work, team!

-Storm.

Thread Information