Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Diffusers go on the back walls, where needed, absorbtion panels go at the first relective point, if needed.
    The front wall will be completely "dead" as will most of the first third of the room.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Thanks. It's all a bit daunting, really, and whatever you pay for the gear is only the beginning of your spending.

AudiogoN maybe? This was an authorized dealer transaction. I didn't do it through ebay.

Tell me about that
    In about a months time my HTroom is up and running, the cost ?? do not even want to think about it, I will post a pic or three when it is done however

Ok, I did just see a simular setup on Ebay and asked the seller if he would split it up, I needed the Sdec for my system, but after a couple of runs on Ebay it was sold through the shop of the owner, the seller was a really nice guy by the way.

80sKid
    Thanks. Their prices are good.

JBL 4645
    Diffusers go on the back walls, where needed, absorbtion panels go at the first relective point, if needed.
    Well I said I had to dig that manual out the mind can’t hold onto every little detail.

A common bookcase with books placed in a random fashion helps so I read. Thou I’d prefer something more fancy looking. Diffusers aren’t all that hard to build are they not?

The front wall will be completely "dead" as will most of the first third of the room.
    That brings to mind my first house in the '70s. I had a combination of a large tapestry and 1/2" thick brown cork panels covering the entire wall behind the speakers. It did deaden the room a bit. I haven't done it since.
    Been thinking of getting a couple of those recycled demin panels to go behind the front speakers.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

JBL 4645
    That brings to mind my first house in the '70s. I had a combination of a large tapestry and 1/2" thick brown cork panels covering the entire wall behind the speakers. It did deaden the room a bit. I haven't done it since.
    Been thinking of getting a couple of those recycled demin panels to go behind the front speakers.
    Hmmm, wouldn’t cork also deaden the sound and be slightly reflective at the same time?

Doesn’t cost much does it unless you hang out at pubs and nick all the cork mats on each visit.

More update pictures Dome keep us updated on the developments of the project.

80sKid
    Cork would only absorb the highest of frequencies. While it's better than nothing, it really wouldn't give the kind of sound control that most rooms need. Plus, the aesthetic of cork everywhere is certainly not for everyone.

Using bookcases as diffusers is what I have done in my own den/media room. The back wall sections that are not dominated by a fireplace are filled with bookcases that have videotapes, CD, DVDs and yes books, of varying sizes. Works great.

JBL 4645
    I’ll look into cork as well as other types of affordable materials cheers.

I think everyone is thinking too hard about listening room acoustics. My current room, which is now close to finished, has fibreglass installed in all of the walls, drywall and carpet. The ceiling and the floor are not paralell and the walls are not paralell. The main goal of this room is not to stop reflections as such, but to make sure there are no standing waves. As for reflections, well the room is dead. Apart from the construction of the walls, the rest of the house is exactly the same, the room treatments cost a whopping $400. $240US, 130GBP!!!! It was a bit of a punt but it has far exceeded my expectations.

Allan.

p.s. as for cork, dont go there.

JBL 4645
    Spot on £130 that’s what I call affordable.

Fibreglass I’m kinder allergic to it unless it’s a user-friendly type due to my skin conduction.

I was fascinated with the treatment in the VUE at London nice soft spongy like fabric as pictured in the VUE pictures I took last year of one two THX screens fully rigged with JBL.

It was layered with white fabric over the front I’m guessing its one of two types behind fibre or other

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Spot on £130 that’s what I call affordable.
    I thought you would like that! I did have to glue the carpet on myself though.

Also got the other sub finished a couple of weeks ago. Now I have 4 x 2235's. mm mm mm mm mm.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I thought you would like that! I did have to glue the carpet on myself though.

Also got the other sub finished a couple of weeks ago. Now I have 4 x 2235's. mm mm mm mm mm.

Allan.
    Four should eliminate the standing wave/null issues.

I bet that glue was sticky messy issue getting attached to walls.

Hi Ash,

I can definately say there are no nulls in my room. One sub is under the plasma as you have seen and the other is about 1.5 metres behing the listening position. 1000watts per cab and tuned to 27Hz. Serious overkill but one can never have too much.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Ash,

I can definately say there are no nulls in my room. One sub is under the plasma as you have seen and the other is about 1.5 metres behing the listening position. 1000watts per cab and tuned to 27Hz. Serious overkill but one can never have too much.

Allan.
    Oh, I humbly agree one can not have too much.

Al, have you ran frequency sweep with free software like REW at the sweet spot to clarify this?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Cork would only absorb the highest of frequencies. While it's better than nothing, it really wouldn't give the kind of sound control that most rooms need. Plus, the aesthetic of cork everywhere is certainly not for everyone.

Using bookcases as diffusers is what I have done in my own den/media room. The back wall sections that are not dominated by a fireplace are filled with bookcases that have videotapes, CD, DVDs and yes books, of varying sizes. Works great.
    I never said using cork was the best way to go, just remembering having used it 35 years ago, as TiDome mentioned that the entire front of his room would be dead.

In fact, those cork panels, like the two vertical rows of gold vein mirror tiles, on that same wall, are just two of many products available in the '70s never to be seen again. Looking back, the '70s were a bit strange.

As for my current room, I've only got corner diy bass traps. Been thinking of getting 2 or 4 recycled demin wall panels, with two going right behind the main speakers, and first reflection points on the sides. But I'm not convinced they will change the sound that much, to warrant the cost, as those speakers are five feet from the side walls and 4.5 ft out from the back wall.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information