Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Speaker-Big Sound suggestions

Small Speaker-Big Sound suggestions

HI Guys,
    I am trying to find a small speaker that has truly great sound, something that comes close to a 4313B quality of sound, but in an L15 size cab??? Does such a beast exist?

A good friend of mine is going through some personal difficulties and is living in public housing. I have known him for a long time and he introduced me to a lot of music and really expanded my horizons and for that I am deeply indebted to him. His gear consist of stuff he has found out in the curb, which in this disposable society of ours he has actually found some pretty decent stuff.

Due to his living arrangements he mainly (but not always) listens to music through headphones but because of the constraints of his small apartment he really wouldnt be able to have a pair of say 4313B's which would be my first choice for him. I want to get him a nice little set of speakers, I know he would really appreciate it and enjoy it, music, books & movies is all he has, music being his passion.

The L15 would probably be a good fit for him, at 9.37" x 14.75" x 7.25" its ideal, size wise.
    Looking through the library I came across the 4406 which has basically the same dimensions but seems more modern, hopefully sounds better too.

I know there are other small speakers out there that I am not familiar with but I am hoping some of you can shed some light on other candidates.
    I'd like to keep it in the $150.00-$280.00 if at all possible/ideally.
    Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

PS: I did have a pair of L46's, though larger than what I am looking for, I did not like the sound at all, so soundwise I wouldnt want something similar to them.
    Just Play Music.

Is anyone familiar with the JBL ES30CH, the dimensions seem ok, almost double the depth of the L15 though.

Dimensions (H x W x D): 15-1/4" x 8-3/4" x 13"

Just Play Music.

JBL Comtrol 5

JBL Control 5 - might be a little larger than your looking for but used you could get them below $150.00

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?PId=196&MId=5

I picked up a used pair and have been listening to them for two weeks now and I'm impressed.

Only issues might be that they're 4 Ohms

The L1 was a crowd-pleaser here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...L-mini-comparo

Should still be priced well within your budget, even after the publicity they garnered from the comparo above. Roughly 16x8x10".

(L15 is actually closer to 15x10x8", FWIW.)
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I have never heard the 4313B, but might I suggest a control 1. I have never heard them myself, but I just picked up a pair on ebay for $45. I have read good reviews on them. I also looked at the control 2p, which is a powered version of the control 1. The powered units are a good idea for portability. I might have a lead on the control 2p for $80 if you are interested PM me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the L1 seems like a good choice. A powered speaker probably would just add to my friend's anxiety
    The control 5's unfortunately are getting a little big I think & the Control 1's would be another good candidate but the 4ohm might be an issue.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly would be the consequence in hooking up a 4 ohm speaker into a regular system.
    My Jolida amps have a 4ohm option but most systems do not.

Thanks again!
    Just Play Music.

Are the L1's supposed to be mirror imaged? & what would be a reasonable price for these?

Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what exactly would be the consequence in hooking up a 4 ohm speaker into a regular system.
    My Jolida amps have a 4ohm option but most systems do not.

Thanks again!

This is the resistance (impedance) presented by the speakers that is seen by the amplifier. This can also include any crossovers and circuits connected to the speakers. When the load decreases, the amplifier's output increases. There is less resistance to the current, and the speakers can draw more power from the amp. Drawing more power than the amplifier was designed for will damage the amp.

Every amplifier is designed to handle a certain load. For home amplifiers this number usually starts with 8 ohms. With car amplifiers it is usually 4 ohms. All amplifiers can handle a higher resistance (load), but they will produce less output. Most quality amplifiers can also handle a lower resistance. Most car amps can handle a 2 ohm load, while some can go as low as 1/2 ohms.

Thanks Christo, he'll definitely need 8ohm speakers then, I doubt he has anything geared towards 4ohm specs.
    Just Play Music.

I'd also recommend the L1's, but also add 18Ti's, and XPL-90A's. All three will fit in your budget, though the L1's are more likely to pop up.

I listen to 18Ti's all day in my office and find them very pleasing. I bought mine on that awful auction site for just over $200. I like the XPL-90A's much better, though I have not had them side by side. The XPL's have better bass and have the ability just dissapear so it doesn't seem like the music is coming directly from them, but that could be the different rooms/amps. They also come up less often, but I have seen them in the price range you mentioned.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thank you Uncle Paul, I'll keep an eye out for them all, though I think you are right about the L1's coming up more often.

Any of these would be a great improvement for my friend
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Are the L1's supposed to be mirror imaged? & what would be a reasonable price for these?
    No, they're not mirrored. Sold as pairs, yes. Mirrored, no. Odd but true of most of the small JBLs.

I paid $90 for my new-in-box pair. I'd pay more if I wanted more. Nice speaker certainly within the $125-$150 range, but the cheaper the better. Price list in the library here says they were $300 "each" though they were only sold in pairs.

I paid $75 for my L20Ts (thanks Heather!). Another nice little JBL.

I'd never sell any of them for what I paid, though!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I paid $90 for my new-in-box pair. I'd pay more if I wanted more. Nice speaker certainly within the $125-$150 range, but the cheaper the better. Price list in the library here says they were $300 "each" though they were only sold in pairs.

I paid $75 for my L20Ts (thanks Heather!). Another nice little JBL.

I'd never sell any of them for what I paid, though!
    Thank you for all the info, the hunt is on & I may already have a lead on a pair from one of our members
    Just Play Music.

always suspected that you were moonlighting to pay for all that sound gear Paul ...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    I'd also recommend the L1's, but also add 18Ti's, and XPL-90A's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Tom, that's too funny - I started out in produce before I went back to school at 30 and eventually into IT.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread Information