Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions

RIP 2009

XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions

OK - I finally picked up that virtaully mint pair of XPL200A's with DX-1 that PARA had and got them set up, though not with the DX-1 yet, (I still need to drag a couple amps over and rewire stuff). But I did put them next to my 4315A's for some A-B comparisons. For amp/pre-amp I only used a top of the line JVC, (I know - groan...), but at least it runs the 4-ohm 4315A's without blowing fuzes, rated 130 watts/channel.

Immediately, there's a big difference in efficiency, maybe because the 4315A's are rated 4 ohms and the XPL200A's are rated 8 ohms - switching back and forth, the 4315A's are much louder, at least for a given volume control setting.

Next, (and this surprised me), even set flat, (but adjusting for ~ equal volume), the XPL's had much less presence/midrange than I was expecting. And I expected to hear a significant difference in clarity, etc., but the 4315A's really surprised me - at least to my ears, they seemed quite as clear as the XPL's. I've always been happy with the 4315's, but I still expected more difference.

I guess the next thing I need to do is to run some RTA curves to see which speaker tonality is actually flatter between the two. Much comparison is needed in the future, including setting up the DX-1 and running everything off dedicated power amps. I'll keep revisiting this thread to post new observations, but it will be over a matter of weeks...

Anyway, here's a pic of them guickly set up. I'm tracking down some kind of rack so I don't have such a mess, but again, it might take a little while.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Nice!

Hey John,

Glad you got them set up. Sounds like the vitage stuff is going to give the newbie a run for it's money! I will be very interested in finding out what you come up with. If this were a boxing match, it sounds like round 1 goes to the 4315's!

HAVE FUN!

Mark

John, you could probably use a six-pack and another pair of ears.

Well I'll be!! Another nut case You remind me of my XPL-200/4344 shoot outs. Don't be so quick to judge the XPL's they will give you some surprises. First thing you have to do is level match them or your comparisons will all be biased for the louder pair. Once you do that and can cleanly switch you will notice differences for sure. Have fun and nice set-up!!!

Rob

Nightbrace
    Man you need some better gear, those XPL's are stellar performers. You need to get the volumes to match, at least get a Radio Shack SPL meter to measure the sound pressures. You might be surprised.

Smile

It's the blues

versus

the blacks!

Out.

XPL 200 VRS 4315

Great pic, I have owned both and they are both very different animals, however thats all history, the one thing I did find out was that the XPLs' sounded heaps better on their factory stands.
    So if you can get a pair go for it.
    I would like to hear your conclusions so keep us in the loop.
    Regards
    Michael

Congratulations John!

Isn't life great when these are the tough decisions one has to make?

Widget

XPL200A vs 4315A

Interesting thread.

I have owned both as well.

The DX-1 is a very nice addition to the XPL200A.
    People who make sound their business depend on JBL for their sound.

XPL200A vs 4315A

<Sigh> I can only dream of mine one day but am glad it went to a fellow LHS member. I am definitely in the wrong country.

I have the factory stands for the 200's but as soon as my 200's arrive from MN then I'll compare them next to my B&W 801 Matrix Series 3.

4315 vs XPL200

Giskard asked me to comment on this thread as I come from a position of knowing both speakers very well.

The 4315 is a very compact, high power 4 way studio monitor. It was designed around in-wall mounting although they are very rarely used that way. Its strong points are a very powerful and fast woofer (doesn't go real deep however) and a killer midbass unit. The LE5 is a little aggressive but quite lively. The good news here is that the VC alignment on the LE5 and the 2405 is nearly perfect so none of the combing that usually occurs with the 2405 used with horn drivers happens.

The 4315 requires that the HF and UHF L-Pads be turned down considerably below the "0" setting or the system is too bright. With that said, it is very dynamic, detailed and quite good tonally. It is still one of my favorite spaekers.

The XPL 200 has a killer midrange in the 091 or 093. The blend between the HF and UHF is really good as they are in the same plane and identical materials. The 2214H was chosen to give good bass extension and it does just that. Unfortunately compared to a 4" VC 2203, it doesn't have the kick or dynamics. The biggest weak link inthe XPL 200 is the mid bass unit. It uses a filled polypropylene cone with a vinyl surround. It is very smooth but it is too warm and "fluffy" sounding due to the poly collasping under drive. Another weak point is the LF/MF passive crossover topology. It was done to allow bi-amping with a simple toggle switch. The 4315 crossover uses a higher order crossover at that point and has a much more complicated switching circuit. That means money which I didn't have in the XPL.

I would only expect about 1 - 1.5 dB difference in 2.83v sensitivity in favor of the 4315. If both systems are adjusted to similar HF response (i.e. turn down the 4315 a little) and overall sensitivity I would expect the following:

The 4315 should be more dynamic and detailed below 800 Hz - 1000 Hz. The XPL200 should kick butt above that. The XPL will be considerably more 3-dimensional due to the narrower baffle and neoprene covering. It could be hard to choose between them as they are both quite nice but just different. Bi-amping the XPL really brings it to life by fixing the crossover problem and taking the LF inductor out of the path for the 2214, but a special drive slope is required to do the job correctly. The DX1 is ideal and was developed exactly for that purpose. The 4315 benefits substantially from bi-amping as well.

I'm pleased to see that both are still around and bringing pleasure to people.

WOW!

I know I can't speak from everyone on this forum, but I for one am honored and humbled to hear comments from the man who designed some of the finest speakers on the planet!

Yes well said!

Thanks Greg for taking the time to comment.

Rob

Obsolete
    Thank you Greg.

Thread Information