Page 90 of 721 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190590 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Isn't that Signe Anderson, the Airplane's first vocalist?

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hey! How old are you? Jeez, I'm 54 and still swattin' a Les Paul and bendin' the neck off a Strat with the wanger bar! Grew up with Airplane...Fresh Cream was the first album I ever bought...still have it! Looks like Grace, but it also looks like some other flower child that used to hang with the Dead....I can't remember.... even high school is a fog.....

Nope, doesn't look anything like Grace -
    well, other than them both being non-blondes (grin) ...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Grace Slick? :dont-know

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Nope, doesn't look anything like Grace -
    well, other than them both being non-blondes (grin) ...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Grace Slick? :dont-know

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

So Close...

Grace was brought in, from The Great Society I think, to replace the departing Signe. Don't ask me how I remember this stuff.

Here she is. Jorma, Paul, Skip, Marty, Signe and Spencer! Skip later made one of the best albums I have, Oar.

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Here she is. Jorma, Paul, Skip, Marty, Signe and Spencer!
    Seawolf's photo must have been when she was pregnant just before Grace got brought in. I have to admit I wasn't a real Airplane fan, not living on the West Coast. The Dead took the time to visit us in the great Midwest, but the Airplane, not so much. In my high-school daze we saw the Dead often live, but the big groups like The Airplane and, later, The Doors we had only on the radio. I know only of the pre-Slick days by reading about them. Meant very little in the midwest in the '60s until later after Grace joined the group. We listened to The Yardbirds, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, and I even saw the Byrds on a trip to Boston. But the Beatles sort of dominated the music scene. My first live concert was the Four Tops! I figured the midwest was about ten-years behind the west coast in the late Sixties/early Seventies. I was fifteen when I got a hall-pass to go to Woodstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Grace was brought in, from The Great Society I think, to replace the departing Signe. Don't ask me how I remember this stuff.

Here she is. Jorma, Paul, Skip, Marty, Signe and Spencer! Skip later made one of the best albums I have, Oar.

Clark
    I think Clark wins...tho I dont know the real answer ...in all the photos of Grace in the book, she is always thinner and doesnt wear that ring or smile, that girl doesnt impress me as a model

she is credited as Signe Toly Anderson in a different section, not the pic.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Don't worry, It's Signe. She wore her hair like that in every picture I have ever seen of her SF days. The beautiful smile is also unmistakable.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I think Clark wins...tho I dont know the real answer ...in all the photos of Grace in the book, she is always thinner and doesnt wear that ring or smile, that girl doesnt impress me as a model
    Maybe not much of a model, but she sure has a mouth on her. Two nuggets I remember are her saying that her function "in the Airplane is to be the asshole. Every band needs an asshole."

On being charged thousands of dollars for service for her Ferrari, "I don't mind getting screwed, but I like to be able to come."

Interesting woman when she's not drinking and doesn't have the shotgun. Perhaps bad models can turn into good singers. By the way, a lot of models in those days never smiled in public. It was part of a sought after aloof attitude. Pouting also often holds sway in that most unnatural of communities.

Clark

Howdy! Sons of the Pioneers on vinyl. Oh yodel lady oh, yodel lady oh, yodel lady oh lil lady lil le lo....ooooOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    Howdy! Sons of the Pioneers on vinyl. Oh yodel lady oh, yodel lady oh, yodel lady oh lil lady lil le lo....ooooOOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Oh NO !!!!

so I'm at GW yesterday and pick up 2 vinyl albums. "Cool Water" by SONS OF THE PIONEERS and "Victory at Sea" - Richard Rogers.

start playing them today and find myself knowing the words and melodies. A really funny sense of deja vu.

I start thinking back and Oh Oh. These are 2 of the albums that my father had in the early 60's and really the ones that I played over and over at 12 years old on his stereo as I didn't own any.

Am I following my father subconsciously or just a fantastic coincidence ??

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hey! Sea Wolf !!!!

Hi, Guess what, I have Victory at Sea also...primo! Bought it at Goodwill for .19 ! DVD's have their place. I really like my Oppo disc player and the music I here, BUT...there is absolutely, positively, no holds barred, indisputably, and without any possible attempt at presenting a question......nothing...nothing that moves the air like vinyl!!! For Pink Floyd fans, particularly Roger Waters fans like me....try his album: Radio K.A.O S. Columbia stereo FC 40795. In the traditional Pink Floyd/Waters style, it tells a story throughout... of poor Billy, and his Ham Radio and later teenage ....life. Tanx, Gene

Kinda rough punk/hard rock.
    A couple of real fun tracks on this nonetheless, Timothy Leary features/talks all the lyrics on Gila Copter (probably best song on album). They also do a really funny version of Rod's da ya think im sexy.
    Gotta be in the mood for this kind of stuff though, but it has its entertainment/charm value.

Mix it up!

Just Play Music.

Ry Cooder just followed Diana Krall, Live in Paris.....smooth....

Friday Night Primer...!

Just before I go out for Friday's evenings activities....on DVDA: Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Kiev Symphony Chorus, and the Children's Choir of Greater Cincinnati performing Tchaikovsky 1812. Telarc Surround DVDA-70541.

Thread Information