Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Should Be Done About the "How Much Is It Worth ?" threads

BigBusa
    I just wanted to say that I couldn't vote. None of the options are what I feel should happen.

I vote for ...Just ignore the value posts if they bother you and quit your bit%hin!

Well, "G" has always said that the caliber of the site has lowered in the last few years - I felt the value of the site is learning what to appreciate across the various product lines, for the audio pleasure, not for the cash return.

But, WTF - I could be wrong ... (nahhh, probably not)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

1. It doesn't bother me very much. I do see how it can be a negative, as far as affecting street values and influencing folks to strip working systems and part pieces out...but that seems to fall more to the what the repliers do than what the 'site' does. Maybe a form-letter type of response, saying, "It's worth what somebody will pay. Globally-advertised auctions with professional international shipping included generally would be the best way to find out what that current value is. As a Lansing Heritage site, our primary interest lies in maintaining vintage systems as complete, working units." Etc. etc. :dont-know
    2. I can't think of a good way for the site to control it without adding significantly to the burdens of the volunteer moderators. Again, if members think it violates any rule, there's the <!> button for that.
    3. I really don't want to go to an AK-style zero tolerance format, where you get your hand slapped for even saying, "Hey, I've got one of those decals you're looking for, it's stuck here to the bottom of my shoe. You're welcome to it."
    4. I'm here to gather information, and share information. Those that are here for the same seem to stick around, other folks don't. Occasionally those that want to hear themselves post a lot also stick around, even to the point of changing their names and life stories over and over again. I've found that to be a much larger annoyance than those that sail in with a Paragon and leave once it's on E-Bay.
    je

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ...the value of the site is learning (and) not for the cash return.
    True, enough, Heather. There are some who come here merely to market - that is fine because "we" get to know of their sale. However, we don't want people coming here to boost their eBay sale.

That said, many here are interested that their vintage JBL stuff get's into suitable hands, to a fan. That is not about "cash return", but about knowing fair market value. But you know this - it's how you found your 4341's!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    True, enough, Heather. There are some who come here merely to market - that is fine because "we" get to know of their sale. However, we don't want people coming here to boost their eBay sale.

That said, many here are interested that their vintage JBL stuff get's into suitable hands, to a fan. That is not about "cash return", but about knowing fair market value. But you know this - it's how you found your 4341's!
    well, the 4341s were an ebay sale from a guy who worked long days and nights and was the very devil to track down and contact ...
    (very much like Bo the travelin' sound guy!)

The ebay sale closed with no bids - but I had made a connection ...
    Apparently (unknowingly) Subwoof and I both were trying to connect - but for some reason I got the deal ...

And I'll sell anything else in the collection but keep them!

Unless I find a clean pair of 4345s for $2000 (!)

And a bigger house to fit them in
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

BigBusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    1. I really don't want to go to an AK-style zero tolerance format, where you get your hand slapped for even saying, "Hey, I've got one of those decals you're looking for, it's stuck here to the bottom of my shoe. You're welcome to it."

yes please do not let this place turn into the overmoderated style of AK. That place is just no fun.

BigBusa
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    we don't want people coming here to boost their eBay sale.

I think that's not an accurate thing to worry about. I seriously doubt anyone here is going to bid up Altec products higher than the asians.

So if I came here and said... check out my altecs here (and posted an ebay link)... I doubt anyone here will be competeing with the asians for my altec. The asians pay too much because this stuff is worth 10 times the amount in their country.

And even if my posting an ebay link to show you guys an altec item on ebay did "boost my ebay sale"... is that so bad? The auction winner is only going to pay X amount for an item. My posting about the item here isn't going to make a lansing forum viewer pay more for item than if he'd found it on his own by searching ebay.

Does that all make sense?

Unless I find a clean pair of 4345s for $2000 (!)

And a bigger house to fit them in
    6" taller and 7" wider. So, times two, you'd need a house 14" wider?

It's that fifty-pounds-per-cabinet weight thing that's the real bear! Of course no one here would ever want "clones". You'd have to have the real-deal.

I've made four speaker purchases off leads from this site, and one Crown amp purchase, two Crown crossovers, and one Crown tuner. Made offers on at least three more speakers that didn't work out (for which I give thanks daily). None were fishing threads, other than two of those that didn't work out (one still fishing, maybe), and one of those earned me the sobriquet of "d*ckhead bottom-feeder" from an LH member. Most were just members pointing out an item for sale elsewhere (Craig's List and Audiogon in my cases). I'm not sure anything good ever comes from those fishing expeditions here—though they seem to end up venting some cabin-fever-style frustrations. Still, I don't mind them. They might occasionally offer something of benefit to LH members, and are at the least not worth the time or trouble it would take to filter them out. IMHO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    6" taller and 7" wider. So, times two, you'd need a house 14" wider?

It's that fifty-pounds-per-cabinet weight thing that's the real bear! Of course no one here would ever want "clones". You'd have to have the real-deal. IMHO, of course.
    Clones are fine as long as they play well!
    I've never been a stickler for designer tags ...

Height isn't the problem, nor depth ...

Down in the TV room I have maybe 3" clearance between the TV/DVD cabinet and the rest of the gear. I can't FIT wider speakers into the corners.

And don't say throw out the TV to get more room for the speakers ...

Of course they shouldn't be jammed in the corners anyway, but - its all we can do, and the price was right.
    The real deal is the room is just too small for the existing speakers, much less 4345s, but we won't be in that house forever and in the meantime, I'll keep them, knowing someday I'll have room to really appreciate them!

The real deal is the room is just too small for the existing speakers, much less 4345s, but we won't be in that house forever and in the meantime, I'll keep them, knowing someday I'll have room to really appreciate them!
    I've been promising my wife the same thing for the past nine years.

Greetings, All,

My own thoughts on this topic are fairly simple. I do get VERY tired of folks that really have no interest in JBL, or Altec, items, except to learn the "value" of something that they want to sell as soon as possible. Please don't get me wrong about this. My main beef is that the vast majority of such folks join LH, then fabricate some cock-a-maimy BS story about how this JBL/Altec item belonged to their late Father, and how it has such sentimental value to them, and how they want to restore it to it's previous grandeur...... Oh, and by the way, "how much is it worth?"!! The disingenuous behavior is a real pain in the butt, as far as I'm concerned. If they had signed on, gone to a special forum where such things are permitted, and simply said, "I have such and such, or so and so, and would love to sell it. What sort of price should I ask and how much is it worth?", I really wouldn't have a problem with that. But, as no such place exists here at LH, we have to put up with the BS stories, sometimes wasting quite a bit of our own time educating the seemingly interested person, only to find out that they are just trying to sell something, and don't give a big rat's frosty crank about learning anything about JBL/Altec!! That does frost my cookies, sorry to say. So, for what it's worth (no pun intended!), I'd love to see a place where those seeking "value" info, could go and post their queries. Anyone who wants to jump in and help them, can do so, and the rest of us don't have to wade through the "Cecil B. DeMille" BS story (with a cast of thousands...!) and thereby waste our time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Smile

This is the first time I have seen this thread. I have been spending 99% of my time next-door in the library just awed with information. I have not had time to read threads because I don’t have much knowledge about JBL except I have owned and enjoyed my speakers very much. I quit looking for stereo equipment a long time ago because I had the best at the time and what I don’t know won’t hurt me when I m happy with what I have. I wish I could have just read this thread first when I joined the forum I could have done things a lot different. I did not know the animosity against newbie’s asking how much.

I am guilty I apologize.
    Ed

Ed, I'm not sure you need to go there. With 25 posts under your belt you've already passed the "test" (whatever that is) of not posting two or three times, getting your info, selling your stuff off the site, pocketing your money, and disappearing.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Feroce View Post
    I have been spending 99% of my time next-door in the library just awed with information.
    Easily by far and away the best part of the website. Too bad it was left to languish after all the great submissions from JBL, both current and former, as well as alot of generous forum members. It is a real hassle to keep up with though, especially all by one's self.

Re: What Should Be Done About the "How Much Is It Worth ?" threads

Personally I don't understand the animosity toward people asking this question. It seems perfectly logical to go to a discussion group where there are "experts" to find out any information about something a person may own and want additional information on.

The moderators discussed at length several options for reducing the problems associated with newbie and other's questions in the Market Place. Unfortunately all of the solutions that were seriously discussed would take more effort to implement and enforce than our part time voluntary moderation staff could keep up with.

For now I guess we'll continue with the semi-dysfunctional approach of a number of members living by an unwritten rule where they will be rude to newbies with these questions and others will try to help them. I would hope that those who are not keen on helping out folks who they deem unworthy would just keep mum.

Widget

Thread Information