Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2213H & 123A-3 Mac Kenzie re-cone kits

2213H & 123A-3 Mac Kenzie re-cone kits

Hi Everyone,
    Searched site and found no results.
    I’m looking for thoughts, input, feed back, experience, ETC on Mac Kenzie aftermarket re-cone kits. Build quality, sound quality and install.
    http://reconekits.com/jbl2213h.aspx
    I replaced pair of 2212’s with new JBL re-cones kits last year and they made a huge difference in the sound quality. It’s very easy to tell the difference between speakers with new cones and 20 + year old ones.
    I’ve bought used complete speakers with hit and miss results. Can’t find any on the normal sites right now, so I’m researching re-cone kits.
    Mac Kenzie sell pairs of 2213H for $140.00 compared to JBL’s at $370 a pair.
    Guaranteed to be at or better then original factory specs.
    Thanks - SB

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I’m looking for thoughts, input, feed back, experience, ETC on Mac Kenzie aftermarket re-cone kits. Build quality, sound quality and install.
    I replaced pair of 2212’s with new JBL re-cones kits last year and they made a huge difference in the sound quality. It’s very easy to tell the difference between speakers with new cones and 20 + year old ones.
    I’ve bought used complete speakers with hit and miss results. Can’t find any on the normal sites right now, so I’m researching re-cone kits.
    Mac Kenzie sell pairs of 2213H for $140.00 compared to JBL’s at $270 a pair.
    Thanks - SB
    I suspect we will be seeing more and more of these kinds of posts in the future.

JBL has very little interest in supporting legacy products any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001
    - Guaranteed to be at or better then original factory specs.
    - I’m looking for thoughts, input, feed back,,,,
    - Here's one thought ; shoot them an email and ask if their kit can duplicate the originals' TS parameters .

>< cheers

Hi Everyone,
    Mac Kenzie sell pairs of 2213H for $140.00 compared to JBL’s at $270 a pair.
    Thanks - SB
    If JBL is selling them for 270 a pair I'm in. I think that may be a piece...
    Russellc

What is - TS parameters
    tks SB

Your correct, pair of JBL cones should have read $370 for the pair. The older, 2212's, 123A-1's are $280 each.
    Thanks
    SB

Thiele & Small Parameters

What is - TS parameters
    tks SB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small

Hey Earl, tks for your note.
    I read about TS parameters, what's your point? Can you please explain alittle more?
    tks, sb

Guaranteed to be at or better than original factory specs.
    Replicating the T/S parameters would be the likely starting point for substantiation of this claim.

Once that doesn't happen, THEN we could debate whether they are "better than" or not....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    I read about TS parameters, what's your point? Can you please explain alittle more?
    - My point is that if a recone kit doesn't match the originals' TS parameters / then all claims of it conforming to the original spec. are fraudulent .

- Think of the TS Parameters as a mapping of the speakers' DNA sequence . This "map" goes a very long way to describing how any transducer is going to perform .

- Simply gluing a high temperature voice-coil onto a proper sized generic paper cone ( to create a kit that handles gobs of power ) doesn't equate to the new kit being a better speaker than the original ( even though it handles more power ) .

>< cheers

ps; Are you going to email McKenzie and ask about their kits' TS parameters ?

I have no horse in this race but, to be fair, what I saw on their site said:
    These kits are engineered to be very accurate replacements. In most cases the components used in the McKenzie kits are the same components used by the original manufacturer. McKenzie guarantees all its replacement kits to be accurate to the original manufacturers’ specifications and come with full replacement warranty.
    Now I don't see how much of this claim is possible but, given the depressing outlook from 4313B, it couldn't hurt to ask them to substantiate it. I believe it has been said or implied here that JBL doesn't manufacture all of their cones (if any) so it only makes sense that a supplier might be interested in selling a product they have the tooling for to another market if their OE customer is no longer interested. :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    The current rumor is that JBL will start outsourcing their legacy kits rather than simply cutting off support altogether. It remains to be seen what will shake out, but the current support we all know and love is allegedly in its final days. This applies to Consumer although I've heard similar rumblings within Pro.

Is there any manufacturor that supplies replacement parts for untis that were manufactured 30 - 40 years ago?

I can't think of a single one except JBL.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Is there any manufacturor that supplies replacement parts for untis that were manufactured 30 - 40 years ago?

I can't think of a single one except JBL.
    Yep. It's almost like they got stuck in a vacuum. 95% of the people working there don't even know what any of those old systems are... they might know a Paragon only because one sits in the lobby but that's about it. If necessary they come here to the Library to see what is what. No, I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The current rumor is that JBL will start outsourcing their legacy kits rather than simply cutting off support altogether. It remains to be seen what will shake out, but the current support we all know and love is allegedly in its final days. This applies to Consumer although I've heard similar rumblings within Pro.
    Short-sighted, as we all know. Another example of JBL not leveraging their heritage. Again with the auto references, but M-B, Porsche, and BMW all support their vintage vehicles by supplying reproduction-as-original parts through vintage-and-classic sub-corporations that do nothing else.

Mercedes has pretty much always done it. Porsche may well be inclined not to now that they're part of VW. And BMW has been making up for lost time after neglecting this market until the advent of the luxury-Asian products sent them back to leveraging their heritage advantage. I still say there's a way for JBL/Harman to make their heritage and their legacy products boost their bottom line. They just need some sharp marketing heads, not the ones that don't even try to sell product in their home country. They seem to know where the money is in Asia, but can't figure out where it is in this country, and it's substantially held by aging baby boomers who remember what JBL once meant in the retail market.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information