Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

I guess many current processors/AVRs and multi-channel sources
    have dedicated 'stereo' LR outputs (in addition to the HT-type LCRetc multi-
    channel outputs), making a unity-gain pass-through less of a necessity,
    especially if they are not variable level outputs.

But are the pre-pros/AVR's set up that way? It would bug the crap out of
    me to need to mark (and remember to set) the two-channel-pre gain knob for a
    'calibrated' HT position, mentally deal with an unnecessary gain/loss stage,
    and repeatedly need to explain operating procedure.
    Last edited by grumpy; 12-15-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: See Steve's post on previous page ...

Integra DHC 80.1 , BGW, AB Systems

I'm running an 80.1 with a mix of BGW and AB System amps.

I got the 80.1 for a price a little more than the new Outlaw 997 (as yet unreleased). I was waiting for the 997, for 2 years, and got tired of waiting. if interested in an 80.1, PM me and I'll give you contact info for the lowest price in America.

The 80.1 has excellent performance, and I'm running 13 amps mixed between AB Systems and BGW's. As a matter of performance, the AB Systems are killer at 300wpc, and can be picked up on ebay for as low as 129.00 each.

best choice I ever made for a pre-amp, and it has 7 HDMI inputs and two HDMI monitor outputs.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Very kind offer, Steve, thanks!
    I'm recovering from a week of the flu - was home from work all last week - ugh! Anyway, I just got an old-style GFA-555 on Monday - 2x200w - but it'll be the weekend before I get a chance to swap it in place of the JBL/UREI 6260 I run the 2235 woofers on ...
    I'd like to try a second GFA-555, and run each side on its own amp, like Rolf recommended a while back.

I've also got a 2535 multi-channel amp due any day now - one channel may have a problem, but the price was right to take a gamble ... (4x60w)

Those GFA-565 Monoblocks are supposed to be the very devil - 1x300w - not sure if I need quite that much - but it could be interesting to test!!

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Heather,

I have a stack of Adcom GFA-565 monoblock amps that all just recently had the caps replaced. I could bring a couple over if you'd like to try them in your system to see if you hear benefits over your receiver. I also have a preamp you can borrow for the test run. Oh, and I have a GFA-555II stereo amp you can try as well.

You can pick up the GFA-555 (200 wpc), GFA-545 (100 wpc) and GFA-535 (60 wpc) stereo amps dirt cheap and they are good performers with no history of capacitor problems (that I'm aware of) like the GFA-565 mono and GFA-585 stereo amps. A used GFA-545 100 watt amp was my first Adcom piece in 1991. It had nice tight bass and I liked it so much that I never put my big BGW-750C back in the system.

PM me if you're interested and we can hook up over/after Christmas holidays.

I have no experience with them, but I've been reading pretty good things about the Emotiva stuff. Outlaw, as stated earlier, is also a well-respected bang for the buck brand if you're looking for separates. I used to be very partial to Adcom, but they aren't the same company; at least right now. I think if I was in that market again, I'd be looking strongly at Rotel.

Steve
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Onkyo Pre-amp

If you are not in a hurry, and it doesn't sound as though you are, you might want to watch the Onkyo site (shoponkyo.com) for their B-stock pre-amps. I bought the 885 pre-amp in the spring for ~$650. This was the "old" model. The newer 886, has the Audyssey dynamic processor which is supposed to awesome, that's about the only difference between the 885 & 886. I did see the 886 unit on sale over the summer for $950, B-stock, new A-stock runs ~$1,450. I have no issues with my 885, when I received it, the only way I could tell it was B-stock were by the markings on the box.

Also, the Onkyo and Integra's are clones, with a couple of minor differences.

I also bought a used B&K amp off audiogon, 7 channels x 200wpc for $1,160. I have seen the 5 channel version for ~$900.

Just a thought.....

This is what you want: Emotiva UMC-1

Heather,

Don't forget I have a gfa555 another stuff if you want to try some thngs too. Also if Steve is coming over I would be interested too

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

[quote=opimax;272862]Also if Steve is coming over I would be interested too /quote]Uh-oh—Mid-Atlantic Lansing Meet IV?

'Tis the season...
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I am easy, like seeing other stuff and hearng different combos. In fact I am driving to KC on the 29th I would love to hear or see anybody's setup while traveling through...

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I am easy, like seeing other stuff and hearng different combos. In fact I am driving to KC on the 29th I would love to hear or see anybody's setup while traveling through...

Mark
    If that's Kunming, China, then you can stop here at the Dome-icile on your way. I've got a truck load of pres and pros. If that's Kansas City, then I guess not.
    Out.

[quote=BMWCCA;272869]
    Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Also if Steve is coming over I would be interested too /quote]Uh-oh—Mid-Atlantic Lansing Meet IV?

'Tis the season...
    And don't forget, you're ALL invited over whenever I finally finish my basement. Framing and wiring is done. Bass traps are done. Hope to start the drywall over the holidays. A cabinetmaker friend is making me shelves for CD's.

Still have to build the two more sub boxes and the side/rear diffusors. Hopefully in late winter/early spring.

Sorry Heather; didn't mean to steal your thread!

"not" it is, south KC from north DC , I go Interstate 70 most of the way, side roads when intersting. Ohio, Indiana, western Pa,

I am serrious. I would love to stop and hear any systems people will let me. I won't stay long unless I can slep in your drive way for a few hours.

I try to make it it in one sitting but usually take a nap some where for few hours...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Of course I don't get H/T but I do understand running lots of amp off a decent front-end. I even bemoaned the lack of affordable A/V pre-amps here maybe two years ago and I believe at that time someone pointed me to the Outlaw line. If this baby (just reduced to $699 MSRP) doesn't give you what you need, maybe their other models will:
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

A review back when it cost $1200 comparing it to a $3,300 Anthem controller is here: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...outlaw_990.htm and they pay specific attention to its 2-channel performance.
    WOW!!!!

This is very interesting, thanks for the link!

I have the Outlaw 990 feeding my JBL Performance Series AVA-7 amp and the attached Performance Series speakers. It serves me quite well.

Since the system is set up solely for music, it mates well with the Oppo DV-980H DVD player I'm using. I purchased a little 7" LCD monitor for help with menus and DVD-A navigation.

I've thought about moving the Outlaw downstairs to replace the Synthesis® SDP-5, since the 990 has 7.1 analog inputs and the SDP-5 only accommodates 5.1 analog inputs. This would allow me to use the 7.1 analog outputs on the Oppo BDP-83 Bluray player down there.
    Out.

I have come close to replacing my Sony str-da9000es with the Outlaw 990 a few times...something else has come up the times I was close. I am interested only because of potentially upgrading the 2 channel section. The Emotiva has my eye if it ever comes out too

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    WOW!!!!

This is very interesting, thanks for the link!
    The problem with Outlaw 990 is that it's outdated! It doesn't have HDMI, it doesn't support new HD audio formats, doesn't have modern romm correction....

Did you take a look at the Emotiva I linked too? Emotiva gives great value for money, and is in fact the same as Sherbourn and Sunfire processors but for much less money

Thread Information