Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

JBL 4645
    Well least I'm not clueless about cream soda.

Well keep casing them up each day or every few days on its progress. After all its your AVR and you are footing the bill at the end.

I hope you get it sorted and up and running like it was when brand new.

Rumour has it the Harman Kardon AVR-7300 has finally been shipped back to me after repairs!
    I'll pull the Yamaha AVR and put the HK in place for a while - but since we just got the OPPO BDP-93,
    and Blu-ray is more fussy about HDMI issues than the old OPPO was,
    seems like it's time to get an AVR that does HDMI internally, and properly ...

Maybe the Marantz SR5005, maybe an Integra

Hopefully I can sell the freshly rebuilt AVR-7300 for reasonable money when its time buy something newer.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have no practical experience, but many around here seem to be tracking down Integra AV gear....higher end Onkyo ?
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm on the mailing list for the ShopONKYO folks, tho from what I've read here and other places,
    it sounds like Integra is a better path to take.
    glad somebody is listening...will be happy to follow your progress if that is the chosen path

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    but many around here
    to be clear...HERE meant here, my physical loc, not the forum.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

AVR7300 is back from Harman - was packed well and looks good.

Unhooked all the cables and pulled the Yamaha receiver.
    Then lifted that 70 lb HK Monster and put it up in the rack.
    Did not connect anything, no power, just let it adjust to room temp (its 30 degrees F outside today) and took Emma to lunch.

Came back and hooked up the coax DVD in, optic cables, RCA connectors and all the Speaker leads.
    Double checked everything, then hooked up the power cable.
    Spun the rack, hit the main power button, then toggled the standby switch ...
    Nothing.

Wrote my guy at Harman, he sent me an idea for cycling power slowly, tried it, no change.

Just went down, checked all my cables, all looks great.
    Tried it again - Nothing.

Got to go out soon, but I DO want to watch TV/movies when I get back,
    so I had to pull the HK and put the Yamaha back into place,
    then reconnect all the cables again ... and make sure at least THAT is working.

You don't EVEN want to know my mood ... !

Fricken fracken frellin' Harman Kardon gear ... GRRRR!!

Rumour has it the Harman Kardon AVR-7300 has finally been shipped back to me after repairs!
    I'll pull the Yamaha AVR and put the HK in place for a while - but since we just got the OPPO BDP-93,
    and Blu-ray is more fussy about HDMI issues than the old OPPO was,
    seems like it's time to get an AVR that does HDMI internally, and properly ...

Maybe the Marantz SR5005, maybe an Integra

Hopefully I can sell the freshly rebuilt AVR-7300 for reasonable money when its time buy something newer.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Okay - an update ... Guy at Harman CS asked me to pop the Cover on the doa-from-repairs Harman Kardon AVR-7300 and see if I could see anything wrong, loose connector or cable, unseated daughterboard, anything like that which might have occurred in the cross country shipping, since he says it ran great for 2 full days on his bench after he fixed it before he returned it to me. Okay, I'm game - but I waited until I had a few hours to play before getting into this ...

So, Emma went out for a few hours last night, wasn't going to be watching TV, and I had a chance to put the big receiver on the coffee table and look it over.
    Pulled nearly a dozen screws from the sides and back and lifter off the cover.

Its a pretty beefy design in there - HUGE torroidal transformer, massive power supply caps right next to it, huge heat sinks on either side - I mean, its 7x 110w/ch - and it IS 70lbs of gear! And - low and behold - on the right side is some kind of ribbon cable that is obviously loose and not seated in the edge connector right below it ...ah HA! I pushed it back into the connector, made sure it was fully seated, and looked for other flaws, but, that seemed to be it.

So, I set the lid on top, plugged it in, opened the front cover, pushed the MAIN power button, waited a minute, then pushed the standby/on switch .... it freaking turned on! Display lights all seemed fine. Powered it on and off a few times, looks stable. Okay, lets go for broke! Pulled power, put all the screws back in and closed it all up

So, now I pulled the teak audio rack out, removed the back cover, pulled all the wires off the Yamaha yet again, and got out of the way, off the shelf.
    Set the Harman back on the rack - OOFF - Its a Freaking HEAVY BEAST!

I went to the basement and got the Carver C1 - need that for the Turntable amp as, unlike the Yamaha, the HK doesn't have a TT input(!) Put it on the lower shelf, wired its output to the HK with another of the Seawolf stereo audio cables, and plug my Denon TT into the carver. I connect all the other sources, the 8 direct cables from the new OPPO BDP-93 to the HK for SACDs, Coaxial line for DVD audio and all of that, connect the TIVHD and AppleTV and make notes of what is plugged in where, spun the rack around, hit power, and wait a few moments ...

I've got TV adio from the TIVOHD! 20 seconds later the Adcom power relays kick and the big adcoms come on for the mains (biAmp Fronts). Seems like its working again!!

Spent the next hour eating dinner and going through all the HK config screens setting everything back up, typing in titles for the sources, and checking things out ...

Put Pekka's Mathmetician's Air Display on the Denon turntable ... power on the Carver, pick source and turn up the level ... its an old record from the late 70s, but sounds nice.

Tossed in an HDCD - Harman's HDCD Icon comes on and it plays, toss in "Dire Straights Brothers in Arms Anniversary SACD" - NO AUDIO ... until I remember to hit the 6/8 Direct source button ... Nice, 5.1 surround!

Toss in "T-2 Deluxe edition" ... DTS-ES Matrix icon comes on looks nice, good sounds ...

Now try Blu-Ray Master and Commander - skip to one of the battle scenes - Russel Crow looking into the fog and spies flashes - BOOM BOOM ... amazing stuff ...

Wow - sounds like that's got it! Even without HDMI and using external switching, it
    really is a great sounding receiver with plenty of power for the surrounds and all of that,
    and between it and the OPPO, DVDs look very good ...

Hopefully it will continue to work for a few years ... 'cause if it goes again now ... !!!

Name:  Screen shot HK-AVR7300-2010-12-15 .jpg
Views: 6571
Size:  123.0 KB

Wow, I'm stunned. A Harman customer service rep reccomending that a consumer remove the cover from one of their components? The potential liability far outweighs any possible benefit to the corporation. Maybe you're a qualified tech who knows how to service equipment safely, but how would the Harman guy know that? I'm glad you had a good outcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Wow, I'm stunned. A Harman customer service rep reccomending that a consumer remove the cover from one of their components? The potential liability far outweighs any possible benefit to the corporation. Maybe you're a qualified tech who knows how to service equipment safely, but how would the Harman guy know that? I'm glad you had a good outcome though.
    Well, i did tell him I had some electronics knowledge and used to sweep and rebuild microwave transmitters, tho it had been nearly 20 years back, and mostly all I do these days is solder up XLR and banana plugs (grin) ... but I really did have a "first phone", before Reagan did away with that licensing ...

The best thing is its working again, and its working good, even with the pre-release OPPO BluRay disc player (BDP-93)

The best thing is its working again, and its working good, even with the pre-release OPPO BluRay disc player (BDP-93)
    That is excellent news!

Widget

Obsolete
    it really is a great sounding receiver with plenty of power for the surrounds and all of that
    Yes, the 7000, 7200 and 7300 were all very nice sounding units.
    Hopefully it will continue to work for a few years ... 'cause if it goes again now ... !!!
    Yep, it's a real shame that they are too complex and too fragile. I've gone through several of them. While they work they are excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Wow, I'm stunned. A Harman customer service rep reccomending that a consumer remove the cover from one of their components? The potential liability far outweighs any possible benefit to the corporation.
    I'm not real sure that they care about such things...

Wacky fun returns to that darned Harman Kardon AVR 7300!

Friday night we were watching TV, Emma got a phone call and I paused the TIVOHD.
    A few moment later I thought I heard a motor running - I couldn't place it at first,
    then noticed the audio was at +9 - LOUD1. (that's stupid loud - I usually listen at -20 or less).
    The only reason I didn't notice right away is that with the TIVO paused, there was no real audio ...
    what I heard was the noise floor with the receiver WIDE OPEN!
    Anyway, I shut the system off and we went to bed ...

We had other stuff to do all day Saturday until Saturday night, we sat down to watch Anton Corbijn's Ian Curtis film, Control
    ... about an hour or so in, the volume started rising by itself! I didn't catch it at first, but out of the corner of my eye I
    noticed the AVR's display panel was flipping between Audio mode and level, and I saw the level rising in jumps of 3 or 5 -
    it got real loud real fast. I muted it, then it jumped out of mute and raised a couple levels again and got REAL LOUD.
    Fearing for my drivers, I jumped for the HK remote and powered it down REAL FAST.

On a hunch, I put my hand on top of it - it's 7 channels of 110w/ch, so I expected some heat ...
    it was warm, but not painfully so ... so it didn't feel like it was overheating.

Sunday evening, after running around all day, we tried to watch the end of the movie.
    Everything played fine for - maybe an hour, we finished the movie, but while we were watching
    the special features (Joy Division videos and such) it started raising the volume by itself again!
    So, again, we powered it down until I get a chance to put that darned Yamaha AVR back in the rack
    AND THROW THE $#I7 HARMAN AWAY!

Frick fracking fragile Harman garbage - I'm gonna go buy a DENON or Integra or ANYTHING ELSE!

NOT RECOMMENDED!

clmrt
    Do like Dome - Outlaw 990!

Obsolete
    Frick fracking fragile Harman garbage - I'm gonna go buy a DENON or Integra or ANYTHING ELSE!
    The trick is to find something that sounds as good as the H/K that isn't made by Harman.

That volume issue plagues alot of H/K models. Sorry about your woes. I've been through several of the damn things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    Do like Dome - Outlaw 990!
    Thanks for the heads up, but ...

Ooopps - B-Stocks Now Sold Out
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

That's no fun!
    mebbe someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The trick is to find something that sounds as good as the H/K that isn't made by Harman.

That volume issue plagues alot of H/K models. Sorry about your woes. I've been through several of the damn things myself.
    Yes, I agree - WHEN IT WORKED, it sounded and worked very nice ...
    we were VERY HAPPY with it, its spouse friendly, what's not to like?

But now she's afraid to watch TV 'cause she's afraid it will go into runaway mode
    and blow up our speakers and thats not a winning approach.

Hell, last night watching the movie I had the remote in my hand and my finger on the Power Off button.
    That's no way to relax!

Surely something is made reliable AND sounds good? .

I bought a Harman DVD player to use as my CD player. It was a new unit in their "re-furb" catalog on Ebay a few years back. Paid a pittance and it sounded great. But then it started not turning on and I had to un-plug and re-plug it to get it to do anything. Then it stopped doing anything. A quick Google of the model number found I was not alone. Cripes! A common and ubiquitous failure of simple components . . . over and over again.

And at one time I was considering a close-out deal on their "universal" BD player. No way now!

I think I'm done with Harman, too, and it cost me quite a bit less to figure that out than it did Heather. Sorry!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I bought a Harman DVD player to use as my CD player. It was a new unit in their "re-furb" catalog on Ebay a few years back. Paid a pittance and it sounded great. But then it started not turning on and I had to un-plug and re-plug it to get it to do anything. Then it stopped doing anything. A quick Google of the model number found I was not alone. Cripes! A common and ubiquitous failure of simple components . . . over and over again.

And at one time I was considering a close-out deal on their "universal" BD player. No way now!

I think I'm done with Harman, too, and it cost me quite a bit less to figure that out than it did Heather. Sorry!
    My HK 5 disc player is noisy but still working.
    The AVR - well - when it worked, it really did work well ... but after the first year its been in this 90 days and fail mode - and thats not acceptable ...

But the huge toroid in the case could be the start of a sweet power amp for someone!
    Just trash the lousy Harman electronics

Thread Information