Page 120 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Thanks for the link. You have a good memory. I’m amazed that with all the googling I’ve done on JBL speakers, I’ve never come across these.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    I still like what I recall of the PS1400 with 800's, but the sub1500 is just more beasty, and still musical. I am crossing at 80. I'm currently using the subs "docked" under the REAR speakers; just the way it is currently working out. Seems to be working well.
    When I use the sub1500 with my L212 I cross @ 70 htz. But when the PT800s are stacked on the 1500s, I set the XO @125, seems to work very well. Especially in a room not ideal. Right now I've got the 1500s and the mains separated, with the 1500 pair stacked behind a center column between two archways, so its back to the normal XO.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

I got thinking of the stated 80 htz XO points to be used with the PT800s, when setup separate from the PS1400s or used with other subs.
    And as I mentioned, when I had them stacked to the sub1500s, I set the subs to 125 htz. So I thought I would use that same setting with the sub1500s stacked on the centerline of the listening area. I did have to reduce the subs' volume, compared to when I had the L212s in the system, @ 70 htz XO, to compensate for the rise of the PT800's volume @ 130 htz.
    Actually I set the subs' XOs to 125 as that was right on a major XO frequency mark, so I could get both subs the same. The system sounds great, once I got the subs volume set to better blend in with the PT800 rolloff.

Of coarse, if the subs were not on the centerline between the PT800s, the 125 XO point would not work, due to localization. As in the case of Mike Bakes' setup with the 1500s in the back.

Well, after almost 3 months of tinkering with the location, toe-in angle and the final piece of the puzzle, elevation of the PT800s/L212s its completely dialed in. Removing both from the subs and dropping them about 9" did the trick. Placing them on the 13" tall L212 bases.
    After playing the L212s for a week, I then replaced them with the PT800s and for the first time, in this room, the PT800s feel at home. I can certainly understand the L212s coming in on their original bases, as that is how they were designed. But finding the right setup for the PT800s on those 13" bases surprised me, as the PT800s are designed to be mounted to the PS1400s thus sitting at an elevation about 48" above the floor. So they are now about 10" lower than that.

Obsolete
    I'm not at all surprised.

I'm glad you got them dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm not at all surprised.

I'm glad you got them dialed in.
    One of the main problems here, in Ecuador, all buildings are concrete post&beam, floors. With the walls constructed of various types of concrete block.
    I found doing an extreme toe-in reduces the reverb and early reflections, even with wall panels placed as needed. And that is especially true with the PT800s cos of the wave guides producing a wider sweet spot, and thus more early reflections.
    One thing positive about concrete rooms is the bass is really tight. Right now the sound is almost as good as it was for the 12 years I was setup in the LR I built in '97, with audio as the main concern.

Obsolete
    How long are you going to be in Ecuador?? You were in Reno right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    How long are you going to be in Ecuador?? You were in Reno right?
    Unless I get the urge to move somewhere else, I'll be in Ecuador until the end. I lived in NV for 38 years, 24 of those between Carson City and Lake Tahoe, 40 miles south of Reno.

It never gets colder than about 45*, or hotter than 80*. In NV I saw temps from -25*~140*, I don't miss those extremes at all. lol
    We even have a JBL Pro shop here in Cuenca, that sells JBL/Harman consumer. Unfortunately, I don't like the latest HK AVRs. Although I did buy a HK 3390 from the guy. If I ever wanted a pair of Salon2, he can get those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Unless I get the urge to move somewhere else, I'll be in Ecuador until the end. I lived in NV for 38 years, 24 of those between Carson City and Lake Tahoe, 40 miles south of Reno.

It never gets colder than about 45*, or hotter than 80*. In NV I saw temps from -25*~140*, I don't miss those extremes at all. lol
    We even have a JBL Pro shop here in Cuenca, that sells JBL/Harman consumer. Unfortunately, I don't like the latest HK AVRs. Although I did buy a HK 3390 from the guy. If I ever wanted a pair of Salon2, he can get those, too.
    Temps sound great - I gather the dollar holds its value pretty well there?

And they are reasonably friendly to expats?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Temps sound great - I gather the dollar holds its value pretty well there?

And they are reasonably friendly to expats?
    There are quite a few expats here, especially in Cuenca. It really goes a long way to know Spanish or at least put forth the effort when talking to the locals, many know English but will not speak it if you don't at least try to speak Spanish.
    The dollar goes farther here for housing and fresh fruits/vegies/meats. Shopping the Indigenous Mercados is the way to eat cheap.
    But there is a high import tax on all imports. Now we have a place called Costo, a small version of Costco.

just added an AVA7

finally added an AVA7 to the PS 5.1 system and am back into audio bliss

I didn't realize how much my HK AVR was straining to power the system until getting this unit installed, wasn't fair to speakers to be starving them so long.

"The ..high-end Performance Series is the ultimate expression of JBL's commitment to bring pro quality sound to the consumer market, and gives home listeners the means to create multichannel home theatre and music systems of extraordinary sonic caliber. They are designed to achieve clear, detailed, and dynamic reproduction of ..... 5.1-channel soundtracks and other demanding program material, even at ""real-life"" listening levels."

I know what you mean brother......

(the blue light and "Performance" moniker on the face don't hurt either)
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post

"The ..high-end Performance Series is the ultimate expression of JBL's commitment to bring pro quality sound to the consumer market, and gives home listeners the means to create multichannel home theatre and music systems of extraordinary sonic caliber. They are designed to achieve clear, detailed, and dynamic reproduction of ..... 5.1-channel soundtracks and other demanding program material, even at ""real-life"" listening levels."

I know what you mean brother......

(the blue light and "Performance" moniker on the face don't hurt either)
    Congratulations! As you've discovered, if you treat it right it gives back big time. I've never regretted my AVA-7, which is a well-designed amp manufactured by a top notch company, ATI.

At the LA Home Theater Group meets, the Performance Series is always the popular vote favorite, even over the Synthesis® One Array and K2s. (Well, that and the PT250 Frankensteins downstairs, which are full of Performance Series Drivers anyway. ) Of course, a lot of these guys are handicapped by the systems they typically hear, and the Performance Series is so accessible, easy to listen to, and non fatiguing that it immediately grabs them. Being multichannel helps, too as a lot of them are also truncated in their spatial development by listening to too damn much flat stereo music on boxy systems. Our last meet was a three way visit to two other homes before ending here. The place before mine has one of the nicest looking rooms I've ever been in, and it sounds pretty good, too, and the combination gives an impression of near perfection. You've been in my Two Jims Theatre, so you know looks is not a huge contributor to the overall experience. After being in the Two Jims and then hearing the Performance Series (with admittedly a gorgeous view out the deckside glass), a guest blurted out, "When I was at xxxx's, I felt like I was in a box; when I was in your Two Jims, I felt like I was in an acoustically perfect great hall; and now I feel like everything has faded away and I'm in the music." Lots of grunts and mumbled assertions followed from other members agreeing with the thesis. I was thinking S#!t in the best possible way in my mind, and said something intelligent like, "Uh, well... thanks!"

Someone asked about the AV2 and AVA-7 combo, and when I told him it was 125W/ch, he was a bit disappointed. "It sounds much more powerful. Are you sure?" Yep, I'm sure. I went on to tell him the main amps in the Synthesis® set up (also ATI-manufactured) were only 160W/ch, and he didn't know what to say except, "Really?" Yes, really. He went on to say his name brand AVR was rated at 200W/ch, and it always sounded like it was straining, so he got a popular Internet direct amp that claimed 300W/ch (not an Outlaw, BTW) and thought he had finally found the power and perfection he needed. Now he was forced to reconsider it all. "It doesn't compare to this." To him the AVA-7 and Performance Series speakers were simply effortless.

Of course there are all kinds of things he would need to consider, like speaker sensitivity, room characteristics, capacity of the transformer(s), how manufacturers use different means to measure power output, etc., etc., and it was just too much work to get into it with him. I was hoping he'd ask Sanjay or someone who loves to discuss this in detail when they were in the room.

Anyway, I can imagine how happy you are and how each step takes you closer to a true "system" in the Harman/JBL sense of the term.

-----------------------------

Just to clarify a single point above: not everyone prefers the Performance Series to the K2 S9900s or the Synthesis® One Array, but it is by far the popular choice. As for which I prefer, you'd have to check with me on any given day at any given time, because my answer will be different each time.
    Out.

Thanks, if I hadn't had the opportunity to hear your PS setup several times alongside a bunch of other greats, there's no way I would have ever made the investment! Each return home had me realizing how much was to be gained displacing all the time, money, and effort I put into the L-Series. Getting the amp was the latest, but I won't say last step on the journey.

Appreciate your invaluable advice and auditioning opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Congratulations! As you've discovered, if you treat it right it gives back big time. I've never regretted my AVA-7, which is a well-dseigned amp manufactured by a top notch company, ATI.

At the LA Home Theater Group meets, the Performance Series is always the popular vote favorite, even over the Synthesis® One Array and K2s. (Well, that and the PT250 Frankensteins downstairs, which are full of Performance Series Drivers anyway. ) Of course, a lot of these guys are handicapped by the systems they typically hear, and the Performance Series is so accessible, easy to listen to, and non fatiguing that it immediately grabs them. Being multichannel helps, too..

Someone asked about the AV2 and AVA-7 combo, and when I told him it was 125W/ch, he was a bit disappointed. "It sounds much more powerful. Are you sure?" Yep, I'm sure. I went on to tell him the main amps in the Synthesis® set up (also ATI-manufactured) were only 160W/ch, and he didn't know what to say except, "Really?" Yes, really. He went on to say his name brand AVR was rated at 200W/ch, and it always sounded like it was straining, so he got a popular Internet direct amp that claimed 300W/ch (not an Outlaw, BTW) and thought he had finally found the power and perfection he needed. Now he was forced to reconsider it all. "It doesn't compare to this." To him the AVA-7 and Performance Series speakers were simply effortless.

Anyway, I can imagine how happy you are and how each step takes you closer to a true "system" in the Harman/JBL sense of the term.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post

I didn't realize how much my HK AVR was straining to power the system until getting this unit installed, wasn't fair to speakers to be starving them so long.

Right now I'm only driving a stereo setup (P7 7channel pre-amp is down). So I've been using a HK 3390 receiver, with & w/o the Citation 19 power amp. I can not tell any difference between the two. There is only a 20w rated difference. But I know the 19 amp has huge caps in its power supply. Now if either was a 5~7 channel amp, might be a problem, as they are 80, 100w.
    But in stereo, neither one seems to strain driving the PT800s. If I was running a pair of Salon2 which are only 86db, most likely there would be a problem.

What's a fair price for a used AVA-7? There's one on ebay for $1500.00.

Thread Information