Thread: BE Diaphragms for 2445/2446 drivers - EXPENSIVE

BE Diaphragms for 2445/2446 drivers - EXPENSIVE

I got a bit of a shock yesterday. I remember when the aftermarket BE diaphragms from Truexent for a 2445/2446 JBL were about $500-600 (USD). A nice upgrade and within reach.

Those days are gone. The quote I got from Speaker Exchange (SKU BE4008 or Truexent # BEX4008) was a whooping $950 each. The competing model from Radian was $985.

It is not that I am dissatisfied with the OEM diaphragms form JBL, I was just toying with the idea of taking it up a notch for my two-way system. I am happy with the JBL 2446 driver and I am not ready to replace it. I was just thinking of some tweaking.

-Tom

I haven't A/Bd'd them personally, but some here feel that the coated SL diaphragms can hold their own - especially in a 2 way situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I haven't A/Bd'd them personally, but some here feel that the coated SL diaphragms can hold their own - especially in a 2 way situation.
    Thanks for pointing me in that direction. The OEM versions of the 2450SL diaphragms are certainly affordable ($85-95 each). However, I am confused about a couple of things, as applied to using them in a JBL 2446 driver.

1. Are they plug and play, or might I need to shave down some spots to get them to fit correctly (and reproduce correctly)?

2. The other issue was what penalty is there (high frequency extension in particular). These will be used in a two way system that is crossed at about 800-900 Hz (the bass section is essentially a clone of the S4700)

Thanks,
    -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by withTarragon View Post
    Thanks for pointing me in that direction. The OEM versions of the 2450SL diaphragms are certainly affordable ($85-95 each). However, I am confused about a couple of things, as applied to using them in a JBL 2446 driver.

1. Are they plug and play, or might I need to shave down some spots to get them to fit correctly (and reproduce correctly)?

2. The other issue was what penalty is there (high frequency extension in particular). These will be used in a two way system that is crossed at about 800-900 Hz (the bass section is essentially a clone of the S4700)

Thanks,
    -Tom
    One Be here half price.....http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...4008-diaphragm

... I am confused about a couple of things, as applied to using them in a JBL 2446 driver.

They are as plug and play as any JBL large format diaphragm. They most often require some tweaking to get them optimally dialed in.

Thanks,
    -Tom
    There is a penalty of sorts on the high end. The D?R2450 diaphragm that came in your 2446 makes the most HF energy of any JBL diaphragm, but much of it is generated by ringing, not the most HiFi approach. The Be on the other hand actually generates the least HF (except for the 2440/375 or a phenolic diaphragm) but what is has is pure.

The SL diaphragms are in my opinion are a very good compromise to Be or magnesium.

Consider this: the JBL S9500 statement speaker system is the only JBL system to use a large format driver with no super tweeter. Is uses the 475Nd motor assembly with the D8R475ND or the D16R475ND diaphragm, I forget which. Functionally this is a 2450 with an SL diaphragm.

Will it require some signal shaping? For sure. Will it run out the top like the tweeter in an Everest DD67000? Nope. Properly implementer can it sound really really good? You bet.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information