Thread: JBL LSR305/306/308 as surround speakers?

JBL LSR305/306/308 as surround speakers?

Hi!

I'm about to move my hometheather to a new room. Today I use JBL 8340 as surrounds and ceeling speakers, but they are quite big, and I consider replacing them with i.e. JBL LSR30X.

Do anyone use LSR30X as surround/ceeling speakers? and if so, are they powerful enough and have you found a good solution to
    how to mount them as walls and ceeling?

I love my LSR305s but in a home-theater application that's a lot of wires, cables, and power outlets to make it work—regardless of how you hang them!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Managing the power cables can be difficult, but depending on the room it may not be an issue.

I am in the very preliminary stages of planning my next HT. Right now I am thinking of going with 3 of the 708P monitors for LCR duty and 2 of the 705P monitors for surrounds plus sub(s) for a 5.1 room. Space is tight for both speakers and amplification so these rather compact speakers start to make sense. That, and the fact that they kick butt and sound great.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I love my LSR305s but in a home-theater application that's a lot of wires, cables, and power outlets to make it work—regardless of how you hang them!
    Running a powercord and signal cable instead of speakercable is not a big problem, there are also multicable that can do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I am in the very preliminary stages of planning my next HT. Right now I am thinking of going with 3 of the 708P monitors for LCR duty and 2 of the 705P monitors for surrounds plus sub(s) for a 5.1 room. Space is tight for both speakers and amplification so these rather compact speakers start to make sense. That, and the fact that they kick butt and sound great.

I'm running "M2 DIY" in front and 8xJBL 8340 as surrounds/Atmos, but they are huge (and ugly) and smaller speakers would be prefered in the New room. Have not heard 30X so a bit concerned if they can handle the wanted SPL? Is there any need for 308 instead of 305 if I anyway will cross them at aprox 80hz?

Do you have any plans how to mount the 705p? Can't find any good solution wihout drilling holes into the cabinet.

Not sure what SPLs you’ll require or how large the space is, but you should be able to trust JBL Pro’s specifications.

As for mounting, my room will be a library that also serves as a part time screening room so the speakers will be sitting on shelves.

Widget

Hi Baldrick

I agree with Mr. Widget, it depends on what SPL´s we are talking about.

There are few cone/dome speakers that can keep up with the 2216/D2 combo, however there is usually less SPL´s in the rear.

I run dual 8” with a 2426 driver (MTM) in the rears and they have a hard time to keep up with the 2451Be/045-1 in the fronts when testing at high levels.

In reality I never play that loud so there is the same question again.

I have a pair or 305 and 306´s that I use with a LSR6312 which is fine but they are nowhere near the big guns.

all the best
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

I use 308's Mk 2's in my office with a sub. I love them but not sure how they would do as surrounds. Depends on your max SPL and room size. Long term 102db 112db max.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Unless you have a room that supports multiple surrounds, generally, directional surrounds aren't preferred for most listening, with bipoles/dipoles/omnis taking the cake for MOST listening. The idea being a high reflected energy contribution to limit localization and localize the acoustic environment (if it truly sounds like a cathedral in your living room, that's going to clash with your spatial sense, so a mitigation approach is high reflected energy)

That's being nitpicky but if it were me, and I wanted a powered surrounds solution, several sets of these might be a better match (operating with the presumption that surrounds aren't as quality-critical as mains), so you can use multiple locations affordably. I'm assuming that the TRS setup is truly balanced.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professio...0BXESC6W105YYY

Hopefully i will soon find out how it works

I consider replacing/modifinh the Wood cabinet with a shallower one for ceeling speakers and keep the front/back, but We will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good luck. We will all benefit from your experiment.
    Out.

If someone finds suitable U-frames or some other way to mount LSR in ceeling, please let me know

For now I've ended up with a very simple (but OK) solution for mounting the 306 to the ceiling Very easy to adjust the angle and I didn't need to screw into the cabinet. (Haven't finished wires and power yet, just tried the mounting)

But I will probably modify the 306 so it is'nt as deep as it is now, and maybe angle the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Clever!

What are your plans for dealing with all of those hard surfaces?

Widget

Don’t know yet If there will be any acoustic treatments. In This room the M2s already sounds way better than My Previous room that had a lot of acoustic treatment. This room is bigger and Wall are natural Wood and really Don’t have very big acoustic problems.

Thread Information