Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 044Ti questions/Help needed

the easy part huh? i looked at that thing for quite a while. i guess ive spent too much time with screws and bolts to think of tension attachment. thanks seawolf97

If you're lucky, there's an o-ring in there.
    Or maybe just parts of one. JBL still sells the o-rings, or did last year.

Very cool thread, Seawolf!
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    JBL still sells the o-rings, or did last year.
    JBL/Crown/Harman were out of them as of last week when I purchased some other small stuff from them. Said it was still a good number though (#62664).

I ordered from Crown. The box label said Crown International. The packing list carried the Crown logo. The invoice with the Crown logo was mailed in a Harman International envelope from the same address (Elkhart, IN). The e-mail confirmation was from a Harman e-mail address and carried the Harman logo gif and no indication of any affiliation with Crown.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    Very cool thread, Seawolf!
    Brian...after your comment I re-read the whole thread and concluded that it is a rough approximation of how the forum should work

Guy #1 (Grumpy ) picked up the info somewhere or was bright enough to figure it out.

Guy #2 (me) gives it a try on his own, but get stymied..but asks for help ... #1 responds and together they figure it out...BUT #2 takes pics and notes a little sketchy details and posts his info

now you (or anyone with the same issue) can hopefully find this thread and feel more confident in tackling this task ...win/win/win

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I ordered from Crown. The box label said Crown International. The packing list carried the Crown logo. The invoice with the Crown logo was mailed in a Harman International envelope from the same address (Elkhart, IN). The e-mail confirmation was from a Harman e-mail address and carried the Harman logo gif and no indication of any affiliation with Crown.

cost ? min order ? shipping ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I think I read somewhere here (I think it was 4313b) who worked on someone's 4" compression driver that had put the foam in with glue and it had created mold.

I think the foam plug by itself is all that is necessary. It is also the same foam for the 044 and I have done a few of these and all I did was set the foam in the center and then installed the Dia.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    cost ? min order ? shipping ?
    I was ordering "D" and "PS" series knobs and LEDs. Nothing big. About a $20 order. Shipping is $10 for all orders under $50. They're very nice folks and each time I order they take time to physically check inventory for me and then apologize for how long that took while I was on hold (never very long). Shipping is usually same day and arrives the next day via UPS.

I've gotten the o-rings before. I believe they were 36¢ each from JBL pro. Much more from JBL consumer. Could have been as much as a dollar.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

so i got the dents out of my tweeter grills, thanks so much for the help y'all

New Challenge

What would we do without all these dents anyway ???

not obvious ...except for 3 hex heads , seems only way in....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

well , they ain't perfect (or even close) but they are a little more presentable ...put some silver paint on there , but the surface looked really uneven , went over with paint thinner and found the unevenness was caused by the original coating pealing. so with a rag and thinner I took off my paint & the original , happily it was still silver under everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    There's a thread on the foam plugs somewhere here... Probably search on 044, foam, and grumpy to narrow the search... Seems like McMasters had something that would work...

Good to see you generally succeeded in your goal
    Grumpy

Can the foam decay as shown on the picture also change the way the tonal sound of tweeter if playing each tweeter side by side with same volume level while using pink noise would one not sound tonally different when in fact they should have the same timber balance?

Hi Ash.

I would only offer my opinion that it would be difficult to tell the difference.
    In other words, I wouldn't rip apart an 044Ti just to replace old foam unless
    something -did- sound awry.

JBL 4645
    Hi Ash.

I would only offer my opinion that it would be difficult to tell the difference.
    In other words, I wouldn't rip apart an 044Ti just to replace old foam unless
    something -did- sound awry.
    Grumpy

Okay fair enough. Is it also possible that not all HF tweeter domes, that come out of factory are not built with equal tonal frequency timber balance?

I have to make a few EQ changes at the lower end of its frequency response capability 2KHz and while going up the scale. It can play 16KHz no sweat at all. I’m just curious as to why there is just a (tiny timber balance difference between the other two dome tweeters)?

I know what if I do a video with SPL placed near to it and then swap it around with the other tweeter domes, wired onto the same amp and see what you think?

Oh, there's just one other thing.

Is it not also possible they wound too much coil onto it, is that possible?

Also JBL didn’t make a MKII version or something, I just like to know why it has slightly higher rise around the lower portions of the high frequencies? all the crossovers are set equally and yes I have swapped the drivers around using the same amp and it doesn’t make a bit of difference.

It’s no big deal I can still cut around with the EQ.

I think your best bet would be to find a spare drive unit, -then- poke around
    the innards of the unit in question, or have it refurbished (always an option later).
    Nothing like hands-on experience.

JBL 4645
    I think your best bet would be to find a spare drive unit, -then- poke around
    the innards of the unit in question, or have it refurbished (always an option later).
    Nothing like hands-on experience.

Well its funny you should bring that up! I have two knackered dome tweeters that gave up the ghost? Replacement driver whole part is around £30.00 pounds I think for C5. So a little peek won’t do much harm.

I was going to buy some replacement tweeters early around this, year. sigh, I’ll just get a two new dome tweeters for the other pair and then get a third at later time. Cheers, Grumpy I can’t be asked to open one of them up knowing the voice coil is fried. Guess that wouldn’t have happened if I had the DCX2496 a bit earlier with some audio limiting protection.

Thread Information