Thread: Turntable suspension thread

Turntable suspension thread

Hopefully, everyone can add their grain of salt when it comes to suspending turntables, mainly for dj purpose, but also to get rid of floor vibrations.

Inner tire tubes

Name:  rega-tweaks-box.jpg
Views: 8608
Size:  30.5 KB

Ashtrays and rubberbands

Magnets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9W7VHDu2A

Inflatable cushion

The easiest way to get rid of floor vibrations, I have seen it done a few times, is to install a concrete pad under the floor with a steel pole that comes through the floor to support a table for the turntables. Works like a treat and does not cost a lot.

Allan.

tesla

Another way

I've not done it, but one that seems to be popular is to use a "turntable shelf", that bolts to a wall. Seems to work very well, from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla View Post
    I've not done it, but one that seems to be popular is to use a "turntable shelf", that bolts to a wall. Seems to work very well, from what I've heard.
    I guess it works too as long as the shelf is innert and doesn't resonate to bass frequencies.

Hi
    If you are going to mount a turntable on top of some springs or air bags.
    The turntable will want to rock side to side in an arc.
    This is because the center of gravity is above the springs or air bags.
    You should add a counter weight, so that turntable’s center of gravity is flush with the bottom of the springs or air bags.
    This will neutralize any tendency to rock and the added mass will lower the resonant frequency of the floating system.
    Oh, I am joking about the 10 ton weight pictured.
    The correct counterweight value would be the same as the turntables weight.

Name:  FreeFloatWithCounterWeight.JPG
Views: 5616
Size:  44.6 KB
    Baron030

As a resident DJ in the early to mid 1980s, my turntables have always been suspended with thick rubberbands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Hopefully, everyone can add their grain of salt when it comes to suspending turntables, mainly for dj purpose, but also to get rid of floor vibrations.

Inner tire tubes

Ashtrays and rubberbands

Magnets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9W7VHDu2A

Inflatable cushion

I could be way off but i don't think that inflatables are the way to go. I had a birthday balloon in the house one day and was playing around with it as I was listening to the stereo. I noticed how well it responded vibrationally to the sound waves/pressure in the room, you could feel everything in the music when holding the balloon.

I have a cheapo CD player that skipped pretty easily. I had some left over gutter foam in the garage and figured I would give it a try. It works perfectly, no more skipping CD's. I also put it under my media center computer, near the stereo. It's strong enough to support some weight, but it's very light and expanded and it's not going to get your equipment hot. Bottom line: I use it, it works.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 4648
Size:  5.2 KB

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    As a resident DJ in the early to mid 1980s, my turntables have always been suspended with thick rubberbands.

I believe that Acoustilog are reported to have done some actual measurement of this style of system,
    the reports state that the resonant frequency of their particular turntable suspension system (rubberband suspended platform for the TTs) was reportedly in the 5-10Hz range, IIRC

I use this style also, either with suspended platforms or rubberbands on a deepwell ashtray...

ISONOE also has some superduper high tech replacement feet --

http://www.isonoe.com/

same goes for a company called 'extreme engineering' or something simmilar down in FL.
    this firm is associated in one way or another with Joey LLanos (early era NYC DJ), I think

i will look for the webpage, if it's still out there...

Interestingly, I am currently working on the design of something very similar to this one from isonoe.com. Using larger 3" diameter sections of aluminum tubing in order to get the longest stretch of rubber bands. It will also replace the SL1200's stock pods. Currently looking for nice round section rubber bands. In 1980, the SL1100 I used to play very litterally floating on rubber bands, even during an earthquake the needle wouldn't skip, or the turntable rumble.

Hi Lee ,

put me down for a set ....

I use these guys for silicone section http://www.silicone.co.uk/silicone-materials/ They have a distributer in California, but I'm sure you have someone there doing the same sort of thing ..

Rich

Designing and machining of the parts is not difficult. It is mainly the hardness/extension/stretch of the silicone rings that will determine how much vibration the pods will be able to filter. It will therefore require to test different types. The idea is to make isolating pods that don't look as if they were added. Primary targeted turntables will be Technics Sl1200s.

Lee

I'm quite happy with my 1200 .... .... I have been using them since the 80's too . R+D will be fun ... you can get solid core in various diameters and elasticity ...

I have experimented with various ways of isolation ... heavy wins in my experience . Last time I used RSJ's ,then bags of sand and 600x600mm paving slabs ... all this on a timber floor - not spec of rumble !

Rich

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    the local dubstep kids are into mass...

think i heard they haul some 50 or 80 cinder-blocks to set up their parties...

something along the lines of this, but larger and solid, no gaps/colums of blocks...

[img]http://sinanian.files.wordpress.com/...1/img_5179.jpg[/img]

I used to do something similar.

Thread Information