Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

This is a 270° pin arrangement. But is it according to DIN? I'm not sure...

What's the pin circle diameter?

Best regards!

Thanks

Ok first off that's a standard 270 Deg din pin spread the keyway might cause issues with some pre made angled cables although Jelko
    have that covered.
    With your deck there is no need to have a 90 Deg din as there is a hole in the plinth and there should be a cable clamp underneath.
    So a straight plug will do the job.
    Loads and loads of options with liberal quantities of snake oil so buyer beware.
    I used to make my own with excellent results.
    There is a relatively inexpensive cable by Belden that fits the din well and is super quiet
    Can't remember the # at Belden but I'll dig it up. Thing is , custom made you can go to a couple of metres if you wish.
    So if you can solder tiny pins or know a man who can that's what I would suggest.
    Plenty of DIY plugs and plenty of good quality RCA plugs out there.
    There is a wiring arrangement that's called quasi balanced. Some cables are made this way.
    It works like this. You use twin conductor plus screen cable. For each channel there is a signal +. and signal - and an overall screen.
    The screen is terminated before the phono plug so that the input to the amp only see's the signal +& -.
    The screen , arm body etc connect with a single wire from the centre pin in the din to the ground on the pre amp or step up device.
    This way the signal conductors are not in contact with the screen.
    For a simple example look at a wiring diagram
    for a balanced microphone.

Any questions hmm.

M

Hi,

there's an important drawback with this feature: Usually the cart's body is grounded through the LG (blue) or RG (green) arm lead. So you'd better isolate the body from the headshell if you're planning to go symmetric. Or do microsurgery and cut the ground connection directly at the cart body.

Best regards!

Indeed this is the case with some MM carts but by no means a universal feature.
    No such thing on a Denon MC etc etc.
    I've done dozens of custom leads like this for Ittoks. , Zeta's , Missions etc. Also worth considering the ground continuity in arms that hang on monofilament.
    Anyway single ended does not give good noise rejection by comparison with ' balanced'
    A nice simple test is to put the cart above the playing surface and turn your amp full up.
    Then try the same thing with the TT disconnected. It's very satisfying to find that the TT is contributing hardly anything to the background noise.

Cheers. M

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    PM the belt is tricky to fit as the platter is s one piece. Once your get the knack for it it's easy. So, you had an issue with the belt slipping off. In simple terms the whole floating assembly is riding too high. This is where the dummy arm mass becomes useful ....
    There is however another aspect of spring suspension that is important to the performance of the deck. If the springs are set up well a push down anywhere on the platter will cause a bounce that is even and smooth till the movement decays
    If there a pronounced lateral wiggles or an uneven bounce then the springs are not working in unison.
    ( An arm cable that is tied down too tight will cause bad bounce also )
    belt issue was only when installing it ... ran for half hour with no problems.
    I will keep that arm cable idea in mind, there was no securing clip included.

bounce test seemed OK too , no lateral movement at all, bounce control good.

got a plug/cable and ready for more instructions (if I can stay off the bike for a while... finally good weather, you know )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Almost done

Ok. I'm assuming by now you will know the insurance and outs of fitting and setting up arms and carts . The one little thing you should do is acquire one of those self stick cable tie bases . Use that to secure the arm cable on the underside of the plinth. What's important here is that the cable does not influence the action of the spring suspension.
    It should not tug or bind or foul anywhere. It will only take a few mins to get that sorted
    Just checking as you go before you zip up the cable tie. It helps if you can put the cable base a few inches away from the hole in the plinth so that the cable forms a soft L shape.
    Goes without saying that the cable should not be touching the slab until beyond the tie point.
    Set up your arm as per usual and that's you good to go.

Happy daze. May is indeed bike month.

Check out on you tube. GCN. North coast 500
    great vid of our North coast and bikepacking

Ok. I'm assuming by now you will know the insurance and outs of fitting and setting up arms and carts . The one little thing you should do is acquire one of those self stick cable tie bases . Use that to secure the arm cable on the underside of the plinth. What's important here is that the cable does not influence the action of the spring suspension.
    It should not tug or bind or foul anywhere. It will only take a few mins to get that sorted
    Just checking as you go before you zip up the cable tie. It helps if you can put the cable base a few inches away from the hole in the plinth so that the cable forms a soft L shape.
    Goes without saying that the cable should not be touching the slab until beyond the tie point.
    Set up your arm as per usual and that's you good to go.
    You are always a great resource Mac.

I've worked with enough fiber optic cable and electric & computer cables, that I never stretch any of them tight. always easy, lazy bends. plenty of room for flex. (the darned installers for my gas furnace put in the drain line so taut that in cold weather and the PVC gets harder, the turns block up the flow. When the chance comes, I'm going to rip it out and replace with one 2 feet longer ..getting by with an extension for now...Grrrr. )

The ADC arm came with 2 original mounting templates and I shud be able to muddle through that install. Have read that the arm should be as absolutely tight to the board (by hand only, no tools) as possible ???

Today it's going to be wiring up the web for the Ol's TV .. too many dropouts on wireless and reinstalling the ARCAM CD FMJ deck in the bedroom a/d/s system. I had removed it because of a hum after an hour or two*, and had subbed in a Music Hall 25.2 deck, but the MH just can't compare in sound to the ring DAC in the UK player. Although it's an $800 player, it seems bass shy and just doesn't have the alive & 3D sound of the Arcam. Going to wire both to the preamp, as the Arcam does NOT play burned disks and the MH does.

*assuming an overheating issue. That chassis is jammed full of big dual transformers , 4 DACs ,10 separate power supplies, etc. Going to rearrange for better air flow... it's 17 pounds of sonic sweetness.

Vertical tracking angle can have a marked influence over the sound of a cartridge as can downforce which in itself will change the VTA
    Always worth tinkering with this in small increments.
    Hope the Delphi lives up to your expectations.

M

Hope the Delphi lives up to your expectations.
    M
    Putting the cart ahead of the horse (since I havn't even started on the arm*) , I've always used a drag brush (DustBugish thing), but I can't see a way to do that on this TT.

Just forget it, or is there a solution ?? (

* darn, nice cycling weather keeps getting in the way ....

If it matters to you perhaps fabricate a little pillar that it can stand on . You should have some real estate rear left on the plinth.

Question long, boring, slightly OT ramble. Bypass OK.

So I got a new (to me) turntable recently. Macaroonie has been helping me set it up (via posts)

One thing he really stresses is that it must be dead level to work to it's best.

So before discovering it's native level, I used my trusty carpenter level. It said that all was perfect.

BUT then the built in TT level said it was a half bubble off. How to break the disagreement tie ??

Get a 3rd level.

For my favorite cycling route , the bike gets lifted into the pickup and I carry it 4.5 miles to park next to our dedicated bike path. That MUP runs straight to the big thrift/surplus store where most of my finds originate.

I've parked there so many times that the nearest homeowner came out and made friends. He offered to let me park under his walnut tree , in the grass on a slight incline, which helps me to get the heavy bike in & out of my 4x4.

Back to TT leveling story. So 4 days ago I find a nice little German spot level, perfect for TT use. I buy it and put it safely into a zippered jacket pocket before the hour long ride back to the truck. Get home and went to get my new level,

It's GONE. The zipper had opened a bit during the return trip and it escaped. So i search all the pockets, search all the bike bags, search the truck. No Joy. I finally gave up.

Yesterday I make the same ride again. Park in the same spot. Get out the drivers door and immediately kick something in the uncut grass. There the level is ..how it got there, not sure. (dementia coming soon ??) . IF homeowner had mowed the grass, it would have been destroyed.

OKAY ..to end the killing suspense .... it agreed with the Oracle built in level.

Yeah, they are prolly 10 for a buck at Home Depot , but it's, you know, the principle of the thing, (finding it)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just shows to go you eh

I was wondering how the Oracle level would go out of whack. Few tweaks on the turrets and you will be golden.

Just shows to go you eh

I was wondering how the Oracle level would go out of whack. Few tweaks on the turrets and you will be golden.
    since the marble base is level , tried the plex bottom base .. it is off, but the top aluminum is still 1/2 bubble off too. To see how far off, I placed felt pads under each cone foot. On 2 of the cones, a second pad was needed on top of 2 of the initial pads to get it right.

I looked at pic sent by seller, maybe it's an illusion, but it looks like the right-most pad is thinner ?

of course, it can be set level screwing/unscrewing the cone feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm sure you have figured this out already but in case you havn't ..........

Your marble slab is pretty much level so hats OK

Next adjust the feet till the plexi base is level , you can can the pads.

Next adjust the floating chassis height and level being sure not to lift it too high or the belt will drop off.

You do need to be sure of your bubbles , its worth checking the one you bought against a joiners level , even do it in a store. They do vary a little. If its good then you can compare against the on board bubble to see if it is valid.

The other thing I noticed in the pic is that the spring cover heights are quite different , that would not be the case if the base had been leveled and the chassis leveled after that. The delphi has various spring rates available but that would not show up as a different height of the chassis supports , the tension screws would vary of course.

Those option springs were introduced to meet the needs of very heavy arms , Fidelity Research for example.

Hope that helps

To put it in a nutshell the only thing that REALLY matters is that the sprung chassis assembly is level. It all looks better if the other bits are level too.

I'm sure you have figured this out already but in case you havn't ..........
    we suffered thru a miserable winter (for Oregon ) and now that great weather is here, the bike moved up to primary time eater , TT got put on back burner, BUT ... yesterday I did pickup a dual XY levels (+compass) mechanism from a broken telescope.

It should verify on which other level to believe.

Thread Information