Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    This upgraded ST-70 just sold for $425 + shipping

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=382207
    That sounds like a good price - didn't see that one in the recent sales ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    That sounds like a good price - didn't see that one in the recent sales ...
    It was listed in the "Subscriber Only" section and just sold so hasn't made it into the "Completed Deals" section.

It costs $25/yr to see the deals there, but that's the place for stuff like this. If something else nice comes up in a similar price range, I'll let you know, but I think I'd sure keep an open mind about the modern stuff mentioned. They say some of these upgraded vintage amps - with upgraded power supply and input circuits - are pretty sweet. The old school transformers are the parts that set the bar, then new circuits to make those perform. But they are still old.

I bought a pair of Dynaco MKIII monoblocks that have had the full upgrade treatment done, but haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. I'll see how a 60 W/Ch tube stacks up against a 60 W/Ch class A MOSFET.

Here's another Dynaco..

It has the Mullard power tubes that Dynaco chose for most of their amps.http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAKIT-STER...item1e69065c20

I know you want to keep the price down, but.....

These MK VI's are the most powerful tube amps Dynaco made. It's rare to see them offered for sale. Very few are out there. Bass would not be an issue with these.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-MK-VI...item2a167643d5

A while ago I did service on a modified Dynaco ST-70 for a friend of mine.

After we got it up and running again there was time for a listening session and IMO it plays way better than it has any right to do. A while into the listening session it was time to try some tube switching. The owner had some different tubes for the input stage that he would like a second opinion on... With these new tubes the amp sounded totally different than with the old tubes, so when you think you know what tubes sound like, or a tube amp sounds like, you can change it into a completely different thing by just switching tubes. And, yes this was the same spec tubes.

Having built some SS stuff this tube design leaves me with the impression of under-dimensioning and volatility. This is due to the ridiculously small power supply and the impression that tubes break when exposed to any kind of physical shock.

Conclusion: My friend loves his amp. While I can hear some of the reason why, I couldn't live with it. I would recommend you try it out for yourself, since with e.g. an old Dynaco you get (most of) your money back if you later decide to go another way.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    After we got it up and running again there was time for a listening session and IMO it plays way better than it has any right to do. A while into the listening session it was time to try some tube switching. The owner had some different tubes for the input stage that he would like a second opinion on... With these new tubes the amp sounded totally different than with the old tubes, so when you think you know what tubes sound like, or a tube amp sounds like, you can change it into a completely different thing by just switching tubes. And, yes this was the same spec tubes.

Conclusion: My friend loves his amp. While I can hear some of the reason why, I couldn't live with it. I would recommend you try it out for yourself, since with e.g. an old Dynaco you get (most of) your money back if you later decide to go another way.
    Very true, a lot of the newer units come with electro harmonix tubes which while ok, they're not great either. There are certainly better tubes to be found and at various different price points. As for being able to live with it, I suppose it depends on the make/model & the listener and one's expectations.

HYBRIDS!

If you dont want all tube you could consider a hybrid, definitely an interesting combination.
    Jolida makes the JD1501RC, a very nice unit (100wpc) with a full robust sound, comes with (2) - 12AX7's, mine came with electro harmonix & when I switched them out with some better tubes the unit sounded totaly different, bright, clean & tight. These I've seen regularly at $400.00 +- which I think is a very good deal for this particular piece, plus they come with remote control.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post

HYBRIDS!

If you dont want all tube you could consider a hybrid, definitely an interesting combination.
    Jolida makes the JD1501RC, a very nice unit (100wpc) with a full robust sound, comes with (2) - 12AX7's, mine came with electro harmonix & when I switched them out with some better tubes the unit sounded totaly different, bright, clean & tight. These I've seen regularly at $400.00 +- which I think is a very good deal for this particular piece, plus they come with remote control.
    That's a great price point!! Fits my budget well ...
    (if you see any again at that kind of price, please PM me !!)

Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

That's a great price point!! Fits my budget well ...(if you see any again at that kind of price, please PM me !!)Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...
    Will do!
    It would be nice if you could audiotion them first, which I think you should be able to one way or another, even if its at a dealer's showroom.When you do just bear in mind the electro harmonix factor (really dislike them, Hmmm, thats interesting), the sound can be improved quite a bit with other tubes.You have some good options in that price range regardless of which brand you go with.

INTERESTING THREAD...
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...5-EL84-Variant
    Just Play Music.

Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...
    Road trip?

And, my friend who lives near you said he would be happy to bring his integrated Rogue over for you to try out. I know you're not necessarily looking at those, but just let me know if you'd like that arranged.

One other thing to consider.

If you are running a power amp vs. integrated amp, you could get a Dynaco PAS3 tube preamp. That would also improve your sound in a tube-like way. The 12ax7 preamp tube is very sweet and they smooth out the SS amp while keeping the wattage. You can find them for $300 or less. I have done this with my Model 19's and the Dynaco ST400. The sound is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    If you are running a power amp vs. integrated amp, you could get a Dynaco PAS3 tube preamp. That would also improve your sound in a tube-like way. The 12ax7 preamp tube is very sweet and they smooth out the SS amp while keeping the wattage. You can find them for $300 or less. I have done this with my Model 19's and the Dynaco ST400. The sound is superb.
    Okay - thought I had said this earlier, but here goes.

Current system in that room is as follows:
    Carver Model 6250 Receiver (roughly 150w/ch)
    Harman Kardon FL8380 Changer (CD and HDCD)
    Apple Airport Express for Airtunes from my macPro

JBL L-200 cabinet custom 3ways w/3133 equiv crossover
    drivers - 2234woof/2445 Mids on walnut horn, 2405 slot.

The speakers are fairly efficient - so it doesn't need much power -
    the Carver is almost overkill, just like the Yamaha CR-2040 I had before ...

As Steve Vollmer said - its a good sounding room -

If you want to consider a comparable Dynaco to the Jolida 102B...

Okay - thought I had said this earlier, but here goes.

Current system in that room is as follows:
    Carver Model 6250 Receiver (roughly 150w/ch)
    Harman Kardon FL8380 Changer (CD and HDCD)
    Apple Airport Express for Airtunes from my macPro

JBL L-200 cabinet custom 3ways w/3133 equiv crossover
    drivers - 2234woof/2445 Mids on walnut horn, 2405 slot.

The speakers are fairly efficient - so it doesn't need much power -
    the Carver is almost overkill, just like the Yamaha CR-2040 I had before ...

As Steve Vollmer said - its a good sounding room -
    It's the SCA-35. It usually sells for less than the ST-35. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-SCA-3...item2c615adc4c

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    It's the SCA-35. It usually sells for less than the ST-35. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-SCA-3...item2c615adc4c
    I can find Dynacos at ebay pretty well, but if it doesn't say "rebuilt/restored" or something like that,
    its just old gear that needs rebuilding before use ...
    In addition, there's a neat old Stromberg Carlson for sale, a pretty brass-faced EICO,
    and a number of other sharp looking amps out there ... but I haven't fully decided if I want to go the old amp route yet ...
    (I know not all of those have Dynaco transformers ....)

And I still have not gotten a call back from JoLida -
    who I thought I could drop by their showroom for a listen -
    they're only about an hour away, in MD ....

And I still have not gotten a call back from JoLida -
    who I thought I could drop by their showroom for a listen -
    they're only about an hour away, in MD ....
    I looked up Jolida to see where they are. Lo and behold, their address is the same as United Home Audio. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/

They're the group who had the open-reel tape demos at the Capital Audiofest. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/ca...fest__2011.htm

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I looked up Jolida to see where they are. Lo and behold, their address is the same as United Home Audio. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/

They're the group who had the open-reel tape demos at the Capital Audiofest.
    http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/capital_audiofest__2011.htm
    Woah - they had that high-end MBL gear ...

the JoLida China site said the US partner of the firm had died ...
    just before the legal battles started. Here is what THEY say:

http://jolida.net/about_us.htm

OUR SHAREHOLDER
    The first shareholders were Chattery Inc.
    (the U.S. Holding Company of Mr. Jingguo Chen), and Mr Hong Huang,
    the now-deceased former Chairman of Jolida Inc.,
    of Maryland. Each man originally controlled an equal 50% of the company.
    Jolida Inc, as a company, never had a share of our company. Moreover, since
    May of 1997, the only shareholder of our company has been Chattery Inc.,
    which is incorporated in the U.S.A. as a business with active concerns in
    both China and the U.S. Mr Chen, the head of Chattery, has very significant
    financial assets and can guarantee the Shenda-Jolida factory and its U.S.
    customers a secure and long term viability.

Address :

CHATTERY International Inc. (mail box address)
    11918 Foal lane
    POTOMAC, MD 20878, USA

(I fixed the address from the website - had local area Potomac listed as MA -instead of MD)

Thread Information