Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2240 vs 2241 vs 2242 vs 2245 (H)

JBL 2240 vs 2241 vs 2242 vs 2245 (H)

Hello all, i'm here to figure out the differences between these 4 (sub)woofers, and this seemed the best place to ask. What i will be using the driver for is mainly music and they will be crossed over at around 50~60hz, and i wont need extension past 25hz. A few differences i know is the 2245 uses a foam surround which has less excursion, but if someone can help me find the best woofer for my application i would be very happy.

For home duty and hifi, I definitively recommend the 2245.
    For sound reinforcement, and higher output, then the 2242.

What is the difference between the 2245 and the 2240? I know they use the same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    What is the difference between the 2245 and the 2240? I know they use the same frame.
    I think at 2245 have more output than 2240 under 40Hz
    but have you think about to use 2269

There will be interested to see how the 2269 will work in 4645C enclosure
    the 2269 have more output than 2242 in the lowest frequency

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I think at 2245 have more output than 2240 under 40Hz
    but have you think about to use 2269

There will be interested to see how the 2269 will work in 4645C enclosure
    the 2269 have more output than 2242 in the lowest frequency
    2269's are a little out of my budget but they do seem ideal.

There is a 2245h frame in my area for 90, but it needs to be reconed, what are the best recone kits?

2269's are a little out of my budget but they do seem ideal.
    If you are interested I have four new 2258hpl for sale they are similar like 2242h but with neo magnet

I want $1000 for all four

There is a 2245h frame in my area for 90, but it needs to be reconed, what are the best recone kits?
    The JBL C8R2245H. I believe the current price is $275 ea. You'll need to find an authorized service center to have one put in properly and to get the JBL warranty.

There are low cost alternatives... at that point, just buy something on eBay. If you want JBL performance be prepared to pay for it.

Widget

framed

Before you start buying and dealing with recones, note that the 2240/2245 frames are the same but are NOT interchangeable with the 2241 OR the 2242...all are unique..!

where is tejas anyways??

I have pairs of:

2240H
    2240G
    2245H
    GTI1800
    K151

In the storage room at present.

What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it? and is 90 a good deal for a 2240/45 frame?

also, tejas = texas in spanish

What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it? and is 90 a good deal for a 2240/45 frame?

also, tejas = texas in spanish
    Its not a JBL cone, who knows WHAT its going to sound like - certainly not to original specs.
    Why would you do that, get a good speaker frame and put some cheap-ass parts on it?

Why not just put a nice Radio Shak woofer in the box -
    its certainly not JBL spec with a backdoor cone kit.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its not a JBL cone, who knows WHAT its going to sound like - certainly not to original specs.
    Why would you do that, get a good speaker frame and put some cheap-ass parts on it?

Why not just put a nice Radio Shak woofer in the box -
    its certainly not JBL spec with a backdoor cone kit.
    I asked the same question about McKenzie a year ago. All that came out was that because it is not a JBL cone, then it MUST not sound the same. Nonetheless, so far, nobody came up with comparative measurements.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ight=mackenzie

Lee

What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it?
    You asked for "Best"... not, "Will it work?"

My guess is that it will work though it will not sound as good much less measure the same. There are plenty of perfectly good inexpensive subs out there. If the goal is lot's o bass for the buck, JBL isn't your best bet. If you want JBL bass, then you need to use JBL parts, tuning, etc.

I haven't been in the used market for quite a while... can't help with current pricing info. I will say that used prices vary widely as does the quality. There is also the issue with shipping these big woofers. A lot of sellers haven't got a clue how to pack them.

Widget

I can't wait for somebody to take measurements and compare an original 2245 cone kit with a quality aftermarket kit. Perhats they will sound and measure the same. Perhaps not. Until measurements are taken, we can't say that JBL will be better than that specific aftermarket product. Let's remember that there are shitty and quality replacement diaphragms for 244X drivers out there. They don't sound the same as a JBL but the quality units sound different and some say, better. Radian? Truextent? Maybe Mackenzie is the next Radian... Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I can't wait for somebody to take measurements and compare an original 2245 cone kit with a quality aftermarket kit. Perhats they will sound and measure the same. Perhaps not. Until measurements are taken, we can't say that JBL will be better than that specific aftermarket product. Let's remember that there are shitty and quality replacement diaphragms for 244X drivers out there. They don't sound the same as a JBL but the quality units sound different and some say, better. Radian? Truextent? Maybe Mackenzie is the next Radian... Just sayin'
    I am not saying that an aftermarket part can't be as good as the original, but the high quality aftermarket parts tend to be as costly or even more than the JBL parts. Quality costs.

Radian parts are of a different design than JBL and they do not measure the same as JBLs. Beyond that I don't think Radian is as good as JBL as their parts are inconsistent. Even JBL has QC issues, this is another reason to have an authorized repair facility do the work, if the parts are not correct, they will send them back and get good ones.

Widget

Thread Information