Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Everest DD66000....finally

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    We need more worthy projects like this one!!! Regards, Ron
    I think you are right.
    The projects don't need to be that costly but we definitely need some more nice projects.
    The Everest 55000 project is also amazing as are many others (no chance to be complete here).
    Please MORE!!

Urr humm !

Yeah, yeah, its coming . Need to get a 4343a refurbishment done first . Make horns and then WAIT !..... for someone to finish his silly speakers

Seriously, I don't think there is a single forum member thats not excited for you Sir !

Rich

Guido: Very interesting and exciting visually.

What are your plans (if any) for a grille (on the woofers)? A sculptured foam grille which I can supply could add substantially to the visual aesthetics.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I can check this again. The difference can be because of different measurement systems. I learned before that mine is a bit on the high side with SPL figures. Who cares, sensitivity is high anyway.
    I care! I like sensitivity. I was merely making the observation that I ended up with 2 dB greater efficiency over the Everest II due to the lower impedance coils of the 1500AL's.

My point is a sculptured foam grille adds a three dimensional look which compliments the overall product aesthetics - prime example being what a sculptured foam grille did for the appeal of the L100 model.. Also helps minimize diffraction while being acoustically neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post

My point is a sculptured foam grille adds a three dimensional look which compliments the overall product aesthetics - prime example being what a sculptured foam grille did for the appeal of the L100 model.. Also helps minimize diffraction while being acoustically neutral.

OK

Obsolete
    I think you are right.
    The projects don't need to be that costly but we definitely need some more nice projects.
    The Everest 55000 project is also amazing as are many others (no chance to be complete here).
    Please MORE!!
    I'm thinking about selling my 1400 Array horns (with 435BE and 045BE in place of 435AL and 045TI). They should be good for some kind of a project. I had planned on putting them with some LE14H-4's or 1501FE's but that doesn't seem to be working out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    Guido: Very interesting and exciting visually.

What are your plans (if any) for a grille (on the woofers)? A sculptured foam grille which I can supply could add substantially to the visual aesthetics.
    I'll need to think about that and will contact you.

One EV2 is up and running.

I still need to modify the LF/MF crossover region a bit to get the EV2 voicing for higher sensitivity (use of 2x1500AL). That is why the MF crossover is still outside the cabinet and on an evaluation board.
    Also the 045Be-1 UHF is app. 4db "behind" the rest of the system because it simply don't have enough SPL. It CAN be heard though.
    Will post some PRELIMINARY pics and curves these days.

Oh BTW... sounds nice, even in mono

One EV2 is up and running.

I still need to modify the LF/MF crossover region a bit to get the EV2 voicing for higher sensitivity (use of 2x1500AL). That is why the MF crossover is still outside the cabinet and on an evaluation board.
    Also the 045Be-1 UHF is app. 4db "behind" the rest of the system because it simply don't have enough SPL. It CAN be heard though.
    Will post some PRELIMINARY pics and curves these days.

Oh BTW... sounds nice, even in mono
    Your work is fantastic. My personal admiration.
    I only wonder what would be the horizontal dispersion characteristic of such large horn, especially after so many 'flattening' MF crossover, and 'pushing' MF driver to operate up to almost 20kHz.
    I wonder here if something improvements in the horizontal plane can be get with some kind of "fins" (such as 2397), because I expect that such large horn would be "beamy", especially at the frequency over 7kHz. Anyhow your measurements would give us the answers.

My Regards
    Ivica

Obsolete
    It is beamy due to the large aperture, hence the small aperture 045 to maintain off-axis power response. In the Everest II design, the 045 arguably comes in a bit too high. Perhaps the S9900 implementation is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It is beamy due to the large aperture, hence the small aperture 045 to maintain off-axis power response. In the Everest II design, the 045 arguably comes in a bit too high. Perhaps the S9900 implementation is better.
    Just looking at the photos of the DD66000, I have expected that large MF driver horn aperture would produce "beamy" off-axis response, especially, for higher frequency, but I have no idea how "bad" that would be. Here small aperture UHF driver (045) 'has small part" of spectrum to reproduce, due to very high ( 4th-order) high-pass cut-off frequency- I expect over 16kHz, so its contribution in frequency dispersion is very "weak".
    On the other side if UHF 045 would "get an opportunity" to reproduce wider part of audio spectrum, because of its geometrical position in relate to MF driver, I would expect "comb" effect in the response ( what is visible on the 434x old studio monitors), or even on K2-S9900

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/download...2S9900OMhr.pdf

It is nice opportunity that Guido would be willing to do some F_R measurements, not only "in-axis", but I believe something "out-of-axis", so that information would be available. "Interesting" that such information is not generally available.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a plot taken of one of my Everest IIs... taken from the listening position all room effects, floor bounce etc. are present in the plot. The blue curve is with the tweeter disconnected and the red shows the comb filtering. The effects are at such high frequencies and fairly subtle... I certainly don't the difference.

As to the beaming of higher frequencies? I suppose, but it is still better controlled and images better than say a 2397 or any of the radial horns I've heard with or without fins/vanes.

Widget

On the other side if UHF 045 would "get an opportunity" to reproduce wider part of audio spectrum, because of its geometrical position in relate to MF driver, I would expect "comb" effect in the response ( what is visible on the 434x old studio monitors), or even on K2-S9900
    If you want to hear what the 045 can do the Array is the best option. Lower crossover point. Comb filtering clearly visible in the measurements.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Here is a plot taken of one of my Everest IIs... Widget
    Looks similar. I have the same dip at crossover region (750Hz). As soon as I manange to get jpeg's out of my system I'll post my preliminary curve. It worked before but now.... well computer science.

I attached a curve from German Audio Magazine.

Thread Information