Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is an Audiophile?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Audiophile describes a person and his or her emotional commitment to sound. It really has nothing to do with what equipment you own, how much you spend, what kind of music you listen to, how you connect your components, what media you use, etc. Each of these things will tell other audiophiles about your personal path, but that's all.
    Completely agree with TD's very well thought out response.

Audiophile has become a commercial term to describe someone who is advanced in their sound hobby/passion. I don't see it as derogatory. I would never use the term on myself, but some of my friends may use it to label me.

I have paged through Audiophile Magazine...it all seems to be salon or boutique equiptment for the bored wealthy. Never saw any JBL there.

In fact I consider JBL as an upper mid level product, one that was originally targeted to the doctor, lawyer , engineer or professional. The prices have always been a little high for us "working stiffs".. Now, later in life we can afford many of the things we once lusted after but could not aquire at that time, and classic JBL is one of those things.

Audiophile ?? a term that never enters my daily life and seems linked to the 1950's. IMHO.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I had thought that unless you were above a certain price-point with EQ (an active component) you ran the risk of degrading the sound with noise while adjusting the spectrum to match the room response. What kind of EQ is suitable - Behringer? Rane? White? something else?
    (Kinda OT, but always worth discussing...)

Good question. Of the three (edited for typo...), the White would be best. Rane are OK for starters, too. Nothing Behringer I have tried is acceptible for me. dbx has a good model in the 1231, and Ashly, further up the cost curve with their GQX3102. All EQ's introduce phase distortion by their filters - so, less is more. Top shelf are parametrics, particularly the Meyer CP-10 if you can find and afford such - they are phase coherant and wonderful.

Can such adjustment/room calibration be done by the end user with a Radio Shark db meter and some test tones/test record? Or is this something that needs calibrated gear and an ear for hire every time there is a major change in the system?
    A dB meter has no application, here - that is merely a reading of loudness, not a measurement of response.

While a nice calibration set-up, comparing the reference and measurement signals, is ideal, a simple RTA can provide a great deal of information. Using Pink Noise, you should see a flat response across the frequency spectrum. Where you see peaks/bumps, you should reduce (notch) that frequency in the signal path (insert the EQ between the pre-amp and amps) - these are areas that are being excited either in the room or the cabinet (or could be transducer anomalies, too...) and are being over represented; same (reverse) for valleys, although most users try and notch, only.

There are some reasonable handheld RTA's out there - I think Phonic makes a good one (PAA2). Once you begin tweaking/optimizing your system response, your ears will learn and be more critical of unintended resonances.

I hear better, I hear more. Therefore I am an Audiophile.

We make too much of the terminology in trying to pigeon hole what that term means. As simple as I can make it, the popular definition of an audiophile is one who recognizes the differences in performance of audio products that take them beyond appliance status. For example look at Stereophile’s grading system that they have used for many years. The better products are the ones that move beyond making a sound with little or no distortion into a true musical experience and then to how well that musical experience is portrayed.

JBL has made a name for itself in the professional sound. In the earlier days the difference between pro and domestic lines was not very delineated so for the most part home speakers = pro speakers. Professional products are the epitome of a purpose-built devices so how not to call them appliances despite all arguments to support the merits of their sound. Many audiophiles have never been able to get past that connotation about JBL despite a history of providing remarkable speaker systems totally outside any professional influence. Many of those products are highlighted in this website, right?

DavidF

Okay - just to get some dollar figures recorded and put Bo's comments in perspective (I am not advocating any particular brands, just trying to get a feel for the figure$)

A few quick googles show the Phonic PAA2 runs around $250 or so. It looks like a neat little unit - its handheld and has a built in mike - looks kind of like a Blackberry or PDA ...

i did some other quick searches -
    I found a Meyer CP-10 used, selling for about $1500 (!)
    Sweetwater has the Ashley GQX3102 for about $950
    Sweetwater has the dbx 1231 unit - for around $350

So a dbx 1231 and a Phonic unit would be around $600 (new)
    I could see buying an EQ if its in that kind of range, but it would be harder to justify buying the PAA if I couldn't do a few "tweak for hire" jobs to help pay for it ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I think an audiophile develops from a person who has an interest in audio devices, and through time recognizes the difference between pieces that are more noise than signal,and a piece that has been engineered to have a very low noise floor, and realizes that the less noise you hear, the more musical differences become more apparent. In many cases, the hunt becomes more important than the find. Sonic clarity is not always cost related.
    True audio signal paths are becoming more and more scarce. I have been building audio systems since 1974, we once strove to get the truest representation of the input signal we could. Now, the entire market is overwhelmed with digital control systems that turn audio into digital bits, just so the entire system can be "dumbed down", so as to be able to sell the convienence of one button control of everything. In the "old" days an audiophile could usually tell you why that cello sound like it is about 3' off center in the mix...nowadays an audiophile can tell you that the green light means it can get louder...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    In the "old" days an audiophile could usually tell you why that cello sound like it is about 3' off center in the mix...nowadays an audiophile can tell you that the green light means it can get louder...
    Tim, I think you might've oversold the technological aspects, but your opinion is much appreciated. Going back to my technology-agnostic view of the audiophile, I think an audiophile (or an audiophile in the making) would know and care that it's a cello and where it's placed in the soundstage, and someone else would not.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    What JBL speakers are considered audiophile? Or closest to it.

I think my JBL control 5 and 1, are good enough for me to be audiophile, so there it is.

So a dbx 1231 and a Phonic unit would be around $600 (new).
    I could see buying an EQ if its in that kind of range, but it would be harder to justify buying the PAA if I couldn't do a few "tweak for hire" jobs to help pay for it ...
    Yea, costs always awaken a dream...

The PAA2 you will get plenty of fun from - it has an SPL meter too, so you could do the stuff grumpy mentioned (in his now deleted post... :dont-know ). It is a great tool that has many applications. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you waited.

I found a Meyer CP-10 used, selling for about $1500 (!)
    Yea, I know. I've got five of them - all were sent for full check-ups/refurbishing at Meyer (they do great work!) - and they have become my favorite. They've replaced GEQ's in my racks - I have grown to require/prefer the exactness of a parametric.

Check eBay for EQ's - stick with highly reputable sellers. I've had good luck.

In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lol

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Yea, costs always awaken a dream...

The PAA2 you will get plenty of fun from - it has an SPL meter too, so you could do the stuff grumpy mentioned (in his now deleted post... :dont-know ). It is a great tool that has many applications. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you waited.

Yea, I know. I've got five of them - all were sent for full check-ups/refurbishing at Meyer (they do great work!) - and they have become my favorite. They've replaced GEQ's in my racks - I have grown to require/prefer the exactness of a parametric.

Check eBay for EQ's - stick with highly reputable sellers. I've had good luck.

In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lol
    You ever try the urei 546? I have one, and I like this parametric alot.

Another great sounding, but hellaciously expensive parametric is the Massenburg GML-8200. One of the best I have ever played with.
    scottyj

I agree with Allan, Heather and Pelly for the most part, and no tongue-in-cheek.

To me, "audiophile" conjurs the image of a high-end stereo buff - a person with very discerning taste, and who deploys costly gear and trunk-line sized cabling and all-too-often loves cabinets with multiple mid-bass drivers, no sub and limited cabinet volume.

Most commonly, to my chagrin, they will not ackowlege the importance of signal-path EQ to optimize for room response. A few have allowed me to insert an EQ and tune to the room - with vastly improved response - but they devoutly prefer the purist approach.

I admire them. It ain't me, and I am intrigued by their perception of quality sound. They get the mid-bass and HF fine, but most typically there is a great deal of LF missing in their approach.
    Bo,

I m glad we agree on that point. Will save a few arguments over the weekend!

But to my mind JBL user (and more specifically a forum member) goes beyond audiophile status to being an audio fanatic or JBL fanatic.

As most of you appreciate a biamped JBL system has the power and certain life like qualities that go well beyond an off the shelf purist audiophile equipment system (even with all the highly exclusive & subjective nicities that go with the really big $$) to the point of being there.

This does not mean being an audiophile does not has its place, it does. But I consider running a (big JBL) system a very different class of equipment that in some way has a cult status and following.

The Widget at one point enjoyed calling me an audiophile. I never fully work it out at the time but perhaps I have answered my own question.

I'd have to agree, JBL and ALTEC users have gone beyond the term 'Audiophile', as both of these brands enjoy a cult following.

And we all know there is a valid reason for this, dont we?
    scottyj

Is it true that Audio Piles cant hear below 40 htz . I love being a maverick.
    Blue is beautiful !!!!!!! Call me a fanatic.
    SNAKE OIL

Rich

An audiophile is a person that has more interest in sound quality and the equipment making this quality possible than most people that just is satisfied as long as there comes sound from their system.

It ain't me, and I am intrigued by their perception of quality sound. They get the mid-bass and HF fine, but most typically there is a great deal of LF missing in their approach.
    I'd agree with that. In the UK, the "source first" trend started by some opinion leaders years ago had audiophiles spending up to ten times the speaker budget on the turntable, i.e. £3,000 turntables feeding £300 speakers.

You do hear stories about audiophiles with mega buck systems and they only own a handfull of CD's, many of them "demo" CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    An audiophile is a person that has more interest in sound quality and the equipment making this quality possible than most people that just is satisfied as long as there comes sound from their system.
    Thanks Rolf!

That's the definition. Except: ......as long as there comes sound......

I suggest to use noise instead of sound

Thread Information