Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Big This Way Comes

Oooo! Can't wait to hear those!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    suuuuuuuweeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!

have fun enjoying them!

If anyone is worthy of such a beautiful set of fine speakers it is you!

Congrats

Btw folks. My brand new LS40 arrived today.............
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

First, let me say, thank you to everyone for the kind words... and yes, I do realize just how lucky I am.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Very nice, Mr. Widget. Two questions:

What happened to that cool black phone? The Arrays did not work out for you?
    Are you kidding? I love the 1400 Arrays. They are not going away... they are simply taking a vacation.

This phone? (See below) I moved it to the other side of the left speaker... now if anyone knows about phones I'd love some help. I brought this phone back from Austria, I found it in an old factory that was shut down... they literally had a pile of them on the floor. While I was in Austria I used it... it has a beautiful bell tone and works quite well, however here in the US the voltage appears to be higher and the ring sounds off and the phone itself distorts. If anyone knows about a way to convert it or an adapter, shoot me a PM.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Very nice Mr. Widget!

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Please post further insights as they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Not even sure what comment or question to ask, but I'll start with this:

very first impression of the E2 compared to the also great 1400 in your own home in the same spot?
    There are many...

1. The most obvious is what is gained at higher SPLs.
    2. Bass quality and extension.
    3. Overall level of detail.
    4. Imaging.

Let me just say that both the Everests and the 1400 Arrays are unusually good loudspeakers by anyone's definition. They are also both far more expensive than most loudspeakers, but both have a surprising number of competitors at their respective price points. In comparing the two loudspeakers I'll run down the list above as these are the first things I've noticed that are different between them.

1. The Everests as well as the 1400s and many, many other speakers will play back >100dB with relatively low distortion. That said, when I turn up the 1400s past about 100dB it sounds loud and I feel compelled to turn it down. With the Everests, it simply sounds more like live music. (In a good way.) You are even tempted to turn it up higher, but the desire to continue enjoying music in my old age is all I need to return to sanity. The Everests like the 4350/55 just plays damned loud in a remarkably seductive way... though the extra $50K+ cost of the Everests does buy more than a more stylish look. These things are virtually sonically invisible... even as they thunder.

2. As Zilch would testify, I am a sucker for the sound of the LE14H-3 woofer's sound. That said, these Everests simply kick their butts! They certainly don't reach down quite as far, but then the LE14H-3s don't get down to the bottom like the Sub1500s or other really good subs either. If you must have subterranean bass, the Everests get down low enough that sub augmentation should be fairly easy to implement in a sonically invisible way. The fact is, very, very few music recordings actually have bass that is below the bottom of the Everests... even deep synth bass like that on Boz Scagg's Dig, thanks HJ, pressurizes the room with remarkable power... and no, it doesn't have to be blasting. Regardless of my comments in point #1, I rarely play back at those levels. The point is, that even though in an anechoic environment, the Everests may be rather anemic in the bass dept., in my very "real world" living room, the bass is outstanding, both deep and tight and punchy as hell.

3. I love the overall level of detail I get from the 1400 Arrays... the Everests simply do it better. No glare, not a trace of harshness, but all of the veils are lifted and you get to hear it all.

4. Imaging. The 1400s image like good "audiophile" speakers, the Everests also image well, but the sound is wider and the sound much bigger, this may be a plus or a minus. Imaging is a hi-fi "effect", personally I enjoy it and my room with the speakers effectively having no wall behind them between the speakers and quite a few feet to the side walls allows speakers to image rather well. That said, I think my preference is for the slightly smaller image of the 1400s, but this bigger image is also quite compelling. I am not complaining, but describing... and in my experience listening to live music, you never get the hi-fi image effect, so I suppose one could argue the Everets are truer to the music.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Very nice, Mr. Widget. Two questions:

What happened to that cool black phone? The Arrays did not work out for you?
    funny because in the array pic it was the first thing I noticed, and thought, "what a cool phone, would love to have something like that in my house"
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Btw folks. My brand new LS40 arrived today.............
    NEED pics and details in a separate thread, this place has been lifeless for too long!

A good LS, E2 discussion is what the JBL Dr ordered
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Oooo! Can't wait to hear those!
    See you later this month!

Yes, these are in my home and I am one lucky SOB, but they are here because they are demo speakers for our company. If you would like a demo, send me a PM and I'll try to arrange something. I do realize few of us can actually afford these, but if you would like to hear them and are in the area, shoot me a note and we'll see what we can do.

Oh, and if you are actually interested in possibly buying a pair, my schedule will likely be even more flexible.

Widget

Congratulations Mr. Widget! They look stunning!
    Do you feel that they take over the room, its kind of hard to get a sense of scale.
    I like the gear Cabinet, very stealthy, lovely solution.

Enjoy!!!
    Just Play Music.

Great stuff all around. Congrats Mr. Widget,

BTW- JBLaddict, we regret to inform you that your time slot has been taken by someone else. Please adjust your schedule accordingly*

*hint: recently seen in JBLaddict's signature:
    L100A L7 L5 L1 EC35 LC1, L8400P, PS1400x2, PT800x4, PC600, Everest D66000 from 11pm-7am
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Congratulations Mr. Widget! They look stunning!Do you feel that they take over the room, its kind of hard to get a sense of scale.I like the gear Cabinet, very stealthy, lovely solution.Enjoy!!!
    You won't miss them walking in that's for sure!

Actually I would prefer something a little less imposing. A couple of years ago I had a pair of K2-S9900s temporarily in the same locations... they did look the best. My wife actually liked the way they looked in the room. She thought the 1400s were simply a bit goofy looking... she would likely dislike these, but she is no longer in the equation.

Widget

Well, that certainly will go a long way in your enjoyment of them.

The reason why I was curious as to their physical presense is that, if you had a pair of 4345's set up in the same place they would just look like two huge boxes.
    Aesthetically these look quite elegant and even if they are big in their own right they blend in nicely within the room.
    Size wise, how big are they compared to the 4345's?
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    The reason why I was curious as to their physical presense is that, if you had a pair of 4345's set up in the same place they would just look like two huge boxes.
    Aesthetically these look quite elegant and even if they are big in their own right they blend in nicely within the room.
    Size wise, how big are they compared to the 4345's?
    I agree... I have these a little over a foot out from the wall at the shallowest point and because of their curved shape they are not as visually oppressive as two ginormous boxes would be... I actually booted my Project Widgets out of this room because of their depth... they were really in my face.

As for a comparison with a 4345, the 4345 is about 3" shallower, 5" shorter and about 10" narrower... these are not small, but as you point out their shape makes them work much better... I am actually getting used to them.

"The JBL Everest DD66000, a speaker you can get used to!"
    Perhaps, ad slogans aren't my thing.

Widget

Thread Information