Thread: hole in woofer,how to fix??

hole in woofer,how to fix??

Need advise on how to fix a pin size hole on the 2122H woofer, I am thinking put a tape at the back of woofer to cover the hole, is that simple??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

pelly3s
    i would patch the speaker from the back of the cone with a little of rtv silicone it always seems to do the trick for me. everyone has their ways of doing it though

My favorite method of patching paper cones is to apply a bit of woodworker's glue like Titebond I, thinned slightly with water, with a fine artist's brush. The fibers should be mended back together first as well as possible. Sometimes a temporary Scotch tape gusset applied to the rear helps. The idea is to let a tiny amount of glue soak into the injury and set up to restore integrity and retain flexibility. This approach is better IMO than glopping on an excess amount of foreign material as is so often done.

My careless son placed his L100's face down when moving and put a similar gouge in a LF cone. I removed LF and pushed on each side of it at the same time with fingers to flatten it out.

Used refoaming white glue on front and back side and it all worked out very well (after I finished verbally thrashing him)..the glue dries clear.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s View Post
    i would patch the speaker from the back of the cone with a little of rtv silicone it always seems to do the trick for me. everyone has their ways of doing it though
    Be careful with silicone... it releases nasty fumes when curing that can eat through a foam surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    My favorite method of patching paper cones is to apply a bit of woodworker's glue like Titebond I, thinned slightly with water, with a fine artist's brush. The fibers should be mended back together first as well as possible. Sometimes a temporary Scotch tape gusset applied to the rear helps. The idea is to let a tiny amount of glue soak into the injury and set up to restore integrity and retain flexibility. This approach is better IMO than glopping on an excess amount of foreign material as is so often done.
    I agree here with Steve.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I've heard that clear nail polish is just the thing.:dont-know

Joe

Thanks for all the advise so far, but if I am not going to remove the 2122H(afraid to damage it), what other suggestion you have??
    I know the white glue will work but it will make the surround area darker than orginal and even more outstanding.

The problem you are going to have is that paper cone is really quite thin. Any material you add to it that is water based or oil may soak in and discolor it. You may want to get a couple of inexpensive paper cone drivers, like old TV speakers, punch a whole in them and see what doesn't bleed through from the back. Good luck!!

Rob

you could do nothing... or glue it and then attempt to match color with
    a flat paint. I can't think of any DIY repair that wouldn't leave visual clues.
    Functionally, sealing up the hole without weakening the cone or making
    a larger hole/mess is what I'd be shooting for. Doing that without removing
    the driver might be a challenge.

So the best way still remove it and work fr the back,is a tape OK to use ??

I would expect that to be a temporary fix, but you're the boss

Quote Originally Posted by hoto View Post
    So the best way still remove it and work fr the back,is a tape OK to use ??
    Working from the back of the cone...use a popsicle stick to close up the hole....working the flaps of the puncture back in place.

Then...cover the hole with a small piece of toilet tissue...then, with a model builder's paint brush...paint a small amount of white or thinned wood glue over the toilet tissue.

You can also paint some superglue over the hole after placing the flaps in place with the popsicle stick.

The white glue gives you more lattitude for cleanup if get too generous with glue.

Whatever you do....you're still gonna have a small scar...t'aint no way around it.

If you want perfection....pop for a Genuine JBL Recone...from an authorized JBL Artiste.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information