Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why No Coaxials?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I'm sorry you deleted your post, Scotty, as it would have made for good discussion. I want to be clear that I'm not bashing anything, and certainly not belittling anyone's personal preference or taste.

Surely there is no harm in knowing the facts regarding what we all discuss here every day, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has previously measured 604 performance and published it in these forums. My findings would seem consistent with opinions expressed by others regarding how they sound. It takes 10 dB of EQ to yank that peak down.

Now, that's just my measurements of one pair of 604Bs, one of them just refurbished. I don't know anything about how C, D, E, F, H, K, or L measure or sound, but I'd certainly like to see more objective information, preferrably by others, with respect to how vintage drivers actually perform.

I read the title of this thread, "Why No Coaxials?" and I believe I know why, but I'm not averse to being shown that I am wrong....
    In my world, it isnt about being right or wrong. Its about what makes prerecorded music take on the life of the real performance. Or some facsimile of it.

See those 604,s? What EQ did you use? Thats very important too!

A K-T, or BSS might not be a total match sonically, yet try a pair of Whites, or a pair of urei EQ,s you might be surprised.

Of course, you cant mke perfect response from them either. They arent perfect, but throughout the years, i have found things i really like, and they arent perfect. Far from it.

I have also heard some extrewmely flat response speakers, with electroniocs that are as accurate as possible,and well, wasnt for me. I listen to music, I want to have fun with it, I want to rock the house, not analyze music, and all the flaws in gear. Thats just me.

Like I had said, last week changed my perception of modern JBL, Alan Sides of Ocean Way, horn loaded studio monitors JBL 2226, horn loaded cone mids, hf comp driver horn loaded, and JBL 2242 subs, Crest powered, old crowns, we were stunned. Thats how good it sounded. Crystal clear, DYNAMIC as HELL. But sweet, smooth, and crisp, yet explosive when required. Realistic sounding. heck, he had that 2226 going up to around 750 to 800hz, and it was all there, no lack of anything.

I found a new veiw of JBL today!

Conversely, I still love vintage stuff, with good recordings, too. When I hear what I like, I just accept it, I dont want to know every last detail about freq resp, BL factor, etc, anymoe, it takes the fun out of it.

Lets sit down, crack open a few beers, and listen to some tunes!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Lets sit down, crack open a few beers, and listen to some tunes!
    You mean there's any other way?

I read the title of this thread, "Why No Coaxials?" and I believe I know why, but I'm certainly not averse to being shown that I am wrong....
    You need to try a JBL/Urei 801C used in the 811,813 and 815C monitors. Then you might be asking why not especially after you put some vocals or guitar through it.

My dad had an 604C and the midrange could be kinda spooky, very natural. I had a Jensen 501 coax and again very nice mids. I still have his 12" 601 and it has the same characteristic with a more extended high end. They may not measure that great but when they are set-up right they can sure make you smile.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

My dad had an 604C and the midrange could be kinda spooky, very natural. I had a Jensen 501 coax and again very nice mids. I still have his 12" 601 and it has the same characteristic with a more extended high end. They may not measure that great but when they are set-up right they can sure make you smile.

Rob
    BINGO! You win, give this man a teddy bear of his choice!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Like I had said, last week changed my perception of modern JBL, Alan Sides of Ocean Way, horn loaded studio monitors JBL 2226, horn loaded cone mids, hf comp driver horn loaded, and JBL 2242 subs, Crest powered, old crowns, we were stunned. Thats how good it sounded. Crystal clear, DYNAMIC as HELL. But sweet, smooth, and crisp, yet explosive when required. Realistic sounding. heck, he had that 2226 going up to around 750 to 800hz, and it was all there, no lack of anything.
    Scott,
    This look very interesting !
    I would really like to know more about these custom JBL studio monitors (and others custom jbl monitors used in studios).
    do you have photos of these?
    This is OT here, but I would really appreciate if you could open a thread about these

EDIT: I will open one, please post your comments (and photos if you have) of these monitors in it

Thread Information