Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Seawolf, those things look like Robocop's feet.
    guess so .. I dont watch much RoboCop

did not know that the Solids were a B&W product, but sure are nice for their size.

B&W previously offered a range of electronics (amplifiers etc.) under the Aura brand, but it was discontinued in 1997. Other sub-brands were 'John Bowers' for the Active One loudspeaker and preamp and 'Rock Solid' for a lifestyle speaker range. The B&W 'Blue Room' brand for 'Pod' speakers disappeared as these are currently produced and sold by Scandyna.[1] From 1988 to 1996 B&W ran their own record label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_%26_Wilkins
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    My SP-15 is a fixer-upper with speed control issues. I've done some homework and have found that this particular problem is cured 99% of the time by resoldering the PCB's.
    Paul
    here's a local PDX guy who has done nice things with his SP-15
    mebbe he can give tips on fixing yours ?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2580521119.html

I have a Technics SP-15 turntable in a custom baltic birch plinth with Rega RB250 tonearm, Mitchell Technoweight, Cardas rewired with DIN plug and external RCA cabling. The plinth is wrapped in 1/4" cherry and rosewood trim, arm board is Peruvian walnut. This is the 12th plinth that I have built. I will include an Audioquest 404B phono cartridge with low hours at my asking price. I will also include a TTweights Delrin/Walnut mat. I have various other cartridges from $125 to $550, please call for more information. Not willing to part out or sell individual parts from the turntable, all or nothing. It's complete and sounds very nice. I have been building and setting up turntables for many years and this one is superb

I wonder if the pictured record cleaning brush is included ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Tom, I've been looking that one over... it even has the arm I was planning to start with. It would save me money and effort in the long run. Also, I can swap the SP15 and SP25 as they have the exact same mounting requirements.

Unfortunately all cash right now has to go into the house. so the timing is bad. A couple of months from now and I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

If nothing else I'll make contact as you suggest - I hadn't thought about that before.

Also another CL seller has the factory plinth for the SP15/SP25 but wants much more than its worth. Also, not the style I'm looking for.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

it's been a JBL famine for quite a while ...saw these little AR's yesterday and looked them up last night ..quite a following and I'm a sucker for 8 inch 2 ways ....sure they need foams , a nice winter project, but the cabs & grills looked fine ..

If the Safari uncovers a Technics SL 1100 TT that appears to have been played only on Sundays, I'd appreciate a shout

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    If the Safari uncovers a Technics SL 1100 TT that appears to have been played only on Sundays, I'd appreciate a shout
    did pick up an OK SL-1200 mk2 last year ...traded for a load of JBL carcasses .....new owner rebuilt it ....
    check CL, there are decent ones out there for not too much ....
    oh and my beautiful , ready to play (after cleaning) SL-M2 for $5 last summer (its a high gloss rosewood finish, like the big Denon's)

snagged an M&K Goliath today , too big to bungee to the bike, have to take the truck back tomorrow.

went back to p/u the Goliath today (its a passive Volkswoofer)
    and snagged this AR TT ...both for same price..

the goliath is refoamed and ready for a demo tomorrow ..vaguely remember that it was sold in the early 70's with satellites called "Davids" :ie Davids and a Goliath ..dual voice coil sucker has a pretty substantial magnet and beautiful cabinet ....I bought it Saturday and had to go back Sunday to pick it up ....thats when I found the AR-XB ....on the way home I stopped at the record store ....they have a little segregated area next to the front door to leave FREE stuff ...sometimes good records are there. this time there was a Technics TT ....free, so I hauled it along with my purchases ....gave it power at home and NO JOY... snapped a couple of pix and stuck it up on CL for parts or repair - $35. A rep from a local playhouse just came to buy it ...to be used as a prop in a stage production

later: http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/136/
    in 1973, Walter Becker, from Steely Dan, asked me to design a speaker system to use in mixing Pretzel Logic. That system included a new subwoofer I'd developed that had excellent transient response. Everybody fell in love with that subwoofer. All the guys in the band wanted one—and so did our customers with Quads and Magnaplanars, because they blended extremely well with those speakers. Other Quad and Maggie dealers noticed how many of those speakers we sold and wanted to know what our secret was; when we told them, they wanted to buy our new subwoofers, too. In 1974, we formed a separate corporation for manufacturing subwoofers on the second floor of our Beverly Hills store on Wilshire Boulevard. I continued to record, and I even cut some demo records from my tapes. One day, mastering engineer Doug Sax walked into the store and heard his Missing Linc album playing on the radio. He got so excited hearing his record that I got excited too, and decided this would be a great business to be in, and that I had to start doing direct-to-disc recordings. We recorded two direct-to-disc albums at an outside studio, which meant we had to lug all of our gear over to an empty office that was next-door to the cutting lathe—not an ideal way to work. So we bought our own Neumann lathe and set up our own operation back at the store. We'd record at night and sell hi-fi during the day. About that time, we got our hands on some tiny loudspeakers by a company called Visonik [David]. We hooked them up with our subwoofer and everyone was amazed at how good they sounded together. The Visoniks had wonderful, clean, natural midrange and highs, and the woofer just put the frosting on the cake. We decided to build a subwoofer with a crossover built-in for those speakers—we called it the Goliath. The "David and Goliath" system marked the beginning of the modern era of small satellite speakers mated with subwoofers.

traded some little black 6 inchers for some crappy DJ speakers with 10's ....
    plus this 320 - B in pretty nice shape ...strange connections (to me)

flash sure shows you where cleaning is needed .

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

with satellites called "Davids"

:ie Davids and a Goliath ..dual voice coil sucker has a pretty substantial magnet

was blessed with a pair of 'davids' a few years back, from a thrift store.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````

the local speaker outlet started selling those eminence subwoofers in the late 70's-early 80's,

($29.95 as i recall)

went to some noted (and unnamed) sound enthusiast's home late one night.

he and a friend had built a subwoofer w/concrete, with the same driver,

then overlaid the same with multiple layers of wood.

had an intricate inlay pattern and glass top, was now the coffee table.

said it weighed 400 pounds.
    Last edited by tomt; 01-12-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: 63580

we need more of these pricing morons

so I rolled down to GW 'as-is" Friday , didn't snag much ....but on one of the bins a guy did grab something interesting .... an Atmos clock , had the retirement plaque from an expensive jeweler in Portland ...was behind him in the checkout line when they called a price check .......$4
    came home to do a little research , since I'd read abt them, but never seen one ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flawless-198...item256b3d0c59

Winning bid: US $1,300.00

today , walked thru a GW retail store and grabbed these Sennheiser wireless cans ..like new condition, charged them up and sound great ...same price as the clock

sure glad their pricers have NO clue ...

LATER: Amazon sells these Senns for $205
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-...6669522&sr=8-4

spent a couple of hours with them last night ..wirelessly streamed Pandora to the iTouch and then to the Senns ..it was very good, happy with the purchase.

Product Features

• Wireless, rechargeable hi-fi headphones with SRS surround sound mode
    • Intelligent auto tuning and automatic signal control ensure high-quality reception
    • Transmission range of up to 150 meters; 18 Hz to 21 kHz frequency response
    • Lightweight, comfortable design; 22 hours average battery life per charge
    • Includes Rechargable NiMH batteries, charging stand, transmitter, and 1/4-inch plug adapter

I was at the local SPCA rummage facility today and came across a Sony Minidisc set in-box including the Minidisc Walkman and a home recording deck, plus (according to the box) some discs and cables.

Hmm, do I know anyone who's into these? Box was marked $40 and this place isn't known for their bargains.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Hmm, do I know anyone who's into these? Box was marked $40 and this place isn't known for their bargains.
    my son came to visit at thanksgiving , brought along his filled up 160GB iPod ....if you've ever read any of my posts ....MTBF has been mentioned a couple of times ..

TIE IN ...his super Pod hard drive with entire collection croaked. 160 GB of music gone

he has no hard copy to go back to ...
    IE: I strongly believe in hard copy backups ..comes from years of mainframe ops.

I grew up making LP anthologies to 8 track, then cassette , then R2R ...now they go to CDR or MD ...MD to me has a fuller, richer sound and the little portables drive my headphones better than the pod.

Your sale is prolly out of my riding radius and I already have "pro-type" decks on each system , but if you are a person who does home taping , well MD sure is a lot of fun , sounds great and has nice editing capabilities.

Your sale is prolly out of my riding radius and I already have "pro-type" decks on each system , but if you are a person who does home taping , well MD sure is a lot of fun , sounds great and has nice editing capabilities.
    I have a good friend with a couple of pro MD decks, if I ever need them. I do record infrequently but I'm using the Tascam DR1 for analog-to-digital transfers. Tough to beat a WAVE file.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

..so I rolled down to GW 'as-is" Friday , didn't snag much ....but on one of the bins a guy did grab something interesting .... an Atmos clock
    Dood!

My dad left one of them behind - it is incredibly impractical but a GREAT mantle piece. Very easy to fine-tune - love the thing. He was awarded it after decades at American Cyanamid. You know, back in the day when jobs were careers...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information