Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl L400???

Jbl L400???

Greetings, Friends,

Both in the book, "The JBL Story", which I am very much enjoying, and also in the 1975 JBL Home Speaker Catalog, to be found here at LH, there is mention of an "L400". Does anyone know what that was supposed have been? I'm very curious about this "L400", and would appreciate any information that can be shared with us. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

according to this page:
    Above is an excerpt from JBL's 1975 catalog illustrating a "mystery speaker" referred to as the L400. The only description says, "Coming soon. The L400, with the promise that it will be the most exciting fusion of art and technology yet presented by JBL." It never came.

Originally, the speaker was planned to be a domestic conversion of the 4340 monitor, similar to the L300 conversion of the 4333 monitor. It would be a four-way speaker using a 15" low frequency driver, 10" midbass, 1" throat compression driver midrange and slot tweeter. The main development work in converting this speaker for domestic use centered on network design changes, a revised midrange horn and aesthetics suitable for a home environment

There were three separate attempts to bring this speaker to market. All failed before a final decision was made to cancel the project. The primary difficulty was developing a system that could be sold at a reasonable cost. However, there were also technical issues and no one was satisfied with the ultimate sound of the prototypes.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    according to this page:
    Yep, my book says the same thing ...

But I think Doc was asking if anyone had anything EXTRA to add to that -
    maybe some firsthand info, or perhaps an interesting tale to tell ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I never really looked before, but I am pretty certain that the photo is of a 4340 or 4343.

I think that statement about horn changes, crossover mods, and no one being happy with the ultimate sound of the system is extremely telling. It relates to this thread and many others that have come before it: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=22207

As 4313B has said many times, these professional monitors simply were never meant to be plug and play. They were typically soffit mounted, set up by experts, and EQ'ed using then state of the art gear. To take a 43XX monitor and throw it into someone's living room is not at all an easy proposition... with great care and effort many of us have made them work out well, but had JBL offered them as a product to the general public, there would have been many problems. I think they made the right decision to shelve the design.

Widget

Hello, POS, and Heather,

Thank you for that information. I, very likely, would not have found it anytime soon. Is there another JBL book, besides the 60 Years book? That's the only one I have, but I'd certainly like to obtain any others that detail the JBL years, "back in the day". It's very interesting to read about the "L400", and I appreciate your having pointed me in the right direction to see that info. Heather is right, too. If anyone out there was a part of the original plans for the L400, I'd love to hear of your recollections of that never-realized project! Thanks, again, Friends, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Plus I believe it was around the time the public was turning there back on refridgerater sized speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I never really looked before, but I am pretty certain that the photo is of a 4340 or 4343.
    Widget

When I look at it, I almost see a 4350 on it's side???

"Vertical 4350"

vertical 4350 = 4351

John, saeman already made your dream come true:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6684

Morning, pos,

WOW! That's a thing of real beauty! Thanks, very much, for sharing it with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Greetings, All,

I just spent some pleasurable time reading the complete thread on Rick's wonderful creations! Very, very nice, indeed!! All that has certainly given me much food for thought, in my own paltry system plans. Both Rick and Gisgard have done outstanding work, and my hat is off to the both of them!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

The information I have is from people who has and still do importing JBL's to their countries.

The L400 was supposed to be a 4343 with an internal crossover only. Like the L300 with internal only, vs the 4333 who has the option of being be-amped, they never managed to make a 4way passive crossover that was good enough at that time, with the technology at the same time. And that is why the project was cancelled.

I can't say that this is the absolute truth, but this is what I have been told.

Hey, Rolf,

Thanks, very much, for that additional information on the L400's. I really appreciate that. It's very interesting that JBL never got that system off the ground, or at least as originally intended. That huge sheet, covering the "L400", in the old JBL catalog, really perked my interest to peek under the sheet!! Oh, how I love all this old stuff!!! Thanks, again, Rolf, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    It's very interesting that JBL never got that system off the ground, or at least as originally intended.
    Not really. Note the aesthetic designs of the L212, L250, B460 and even the L300. A couple of big refrigerators probably weren't going to be a very good selling point.

The LE14H-1 ended up in the L250 and the 2245H ended up in the 4345.

The 2235H replaced the 2231H and ended up in the 4355 and 4430.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Not really. Note the aesthetic designs of the L212, L250, B460 and even the L300. A couple of big refrigerators probably weren't going to be a very good selling point.

Evening, 4313B,

Thanks, very much, for the fine focus. You are right, of course, and the fact that bits of the L400 went on to become something even better, makes it all even more delicious! As already noted, my hat is off to you, and others here at LH, for the outstanding contributions you have offered, and all the hard work you've undertaken for the "art", and art it is, indeed, as far as I'm concerned!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Does that mean that my information was incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

Thread Information