Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The JBL 4345 Club

Add new cables

Just some update to my 4345 system. Just added two Nordost power cords on my Marantz CD10 and my Chord power amp. Also added the Nordost Frey speaker cable to my 4345. RESULT :... More dynamic, airy and also superbly detailed....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Are all of the drivers in the 4345 system 8 ohm or are some 16? I found the parts compliment but none of that information is listed. I know where some of the HF drivers are but they are 16ohm and I don't wish to make a wrong purchase on these.

You dont give up !

2245 8ohm

2122 8ohm

2425 8ohm

2405 does not matter !

L-pads will come with networks

believe it or not, the networks are the easiest thing to find ....

Foil cals and grill badges , grill cloth , Kenrick sound , new CC networks , Guido or 4313b . Guido builds an excellent passive and 4313b builds bi-amp only .

$ allow yourself $ 3-4000 budget (not including cabinet build) and 6 months

Active crossovers . Bryston, Marchand, DEQX . there are others ,but these are reportedly the best sounding . Allow another 2k per . Amps 250 per ch min for 2245 and 100 per ch min for tops ... My opinion ,based on my experience . Others have different ideas .

Another 4345 pair is coming to UK

Rich

There's some things to look over in This Thread

Good Advice Jeff !

Best stick to the advice of those that have the t-shirt on this one ....

I am intrigued as to why someone who was having issues with the sound of the L300 would want to
    build a 4345 ? They are 2 different beasts completely . L300's are plug and play , the 4345 are a full time
    job !

They do share similar mid- high Fq components ,but the difference is in the networks and subsequent
    applications . L300 for listening to music in a home environment and 4345 for letting you know the limited skill of the recording engineer

I have my theories , but I'm going to play the waiting game here and just watch ...

The 4345 is an amazing sound to behold ,not many really explore their potential as much as Ian Mckenzie has . I would look there too !

BTW , you might want to actually see a pair in the flesh , they are big !

Rich

I believe you. No matter what anybody else says, cables does matter. This has been discussed over and over again in many threads. Those who believe that a wire is a cable, well sorry for them.

Once I get my Teeth into something it's hard for me to let go. My cabs with the 416-8B's are 38x31x24 and the 515B's are about the same size. I don't think that the size is going to bother me. Everybody says they sound wonderful and I want to hear them, the only way thats going to happen is if I rustle up the components and build a pair of cabs. I have one woof now, another soon. the other stuff is out there, I'll ferret it out.

4313b's

If I were building a pair now , I would be using the large format 2" driver .

I had Tad 2002 in mine .... they really are worth the money if you want to stick with the 1"

In my experience though ... the whole thing is about the 2245 and its merits

Bi-amp is the way to go IMHO

RuF

Save money on your cables, Use it on really good equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jamdel View Post
    Just some update to my 4345 system. Just added two Nordost power cords on my Marantz CD10 and my Chord power amp. Also added the Nordost Frey speaker cable to my 4345. RESULT :... More dynamic, airy and also superbly detailed....
    I just have to chime in here. EVERYtime I look in my classic JBL studio monitors and every other JBL...at the wire used to interconnect the speakers. No way that stuff cost and arm and a leg lke the cables these guys make. I've alway had serious doubt anyone can hear the differences, especially since as you get older your ears lose their higher response due to environmental exposure to various sound sources, some of which are loud enough to damage your sense of hearing when you're chronically exposed to them.

That, and I guess there are folks that sell "single crystal silver" reference cables for otherworldly prices. It kinda brings out the chemist in me; as I understand dislocation free (<500 per cm3) polycrystalline silicon used in making semiconductors. But single crystal silver...plaaleeeze.

Save your money, do a search on the forum and look at what the folks that designed our favorite speakers say about wire.

Oh, and spend that extra money on equipment that will make your speakers sound better..very low distortion solid state amps, tube amps...

and if you're really stuck on wires, roll your own oxygen free copper wire which is plated with silver with the same wire the expensive stuff is made from at 5.00 a foot.

ok sorry end of rant. I just think folks convince themselves they can hear the differences with cables that are way way way overpriced.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Chord !

did you see the amp he is using .... CHORD $$$$$ the rest of his front end looks pretty high end too !
    You dont spend 5k on a power amp then run down to walmart for a bit of lamp chord ... Paaalease !

There is a difference in tonal quality . I think you'll find that well documented . Whether one be better sounding than another is all down to personal taste ....

Every part of the chain has it's inherent sonic signature !

RuF

Can we keep this on topic and not have it turn into a Wire Wars Thread? They are destuctive and do not change anyones mind.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Can we keep this on topic and not have it turn into a Wire Wars Thread? They are destuctive and do not change anyones mind.
    I used vintage Monster Cable PL-2 with my 4345 clones and they sounded fantastic anyway.

Very nice loudspeakers.

You don't count !

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I used vintage Monster Cable PL-2 with my 4345 clones and they sounded fantastic anyway.

Very nice loudspeakers.

You can make anything sound great ! this thread is for us mortals ...

anyway , when you gonna build a descent amp ?

that I would love to see and learn from

Sorry Rob !

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

Rob
    I guess there are some that would by a TOM FORD suit and then use and old boot lace instead of a belt :

RuF

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    anyway , when you gonna build a descent amp ?
    I really wish I had the time! I think I'm stuck with these Citation 22's awhile longer. I might have to buy some of that Bel Canto gear. Mini components are neato.

Thread Information