Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: jbl 2245 H

[QUOTE=johnaec]The one I sold a few months ago was gray. The cone also had white aquaplas on the back, (it was an older recone kit).

WOW that would make it triple rare!!!

Hey that looks to be one hell of a coil on that kit

2245H foam:rear mount

Hi edgewound.
    Nice pics. Have a question regarding front or rear mount foam surrounds at these speakers. I have a pair and one of them has the foam surround mounted at the front of the cone. Is it possible that this is an original JBL mount or could it be a re-foamed speaker. Did JBL ever mount the foam at the front of 2245H?
    I know that some of the LE14 had a front mounted foam surround but anyone else speaker model?

If it is not an original foam surround mount, any suggestions? (what about the alignment etc....), re-cone it?

Regards
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    Hi edgewound.
    Nice pics. Have a question regarding front or rear mount foam surrounds at these speakers. I have a pair and one of them has the foam surround mounted at the front of the cone. Is it possible that this is an original JBL mount or could it be a re-foamed speaker. Did JBL ever mount the foam at the front of 2245H?
    I know that some of the LE14 had a front mounted foam surround but anyone else speaker model?

If it is not an original foam surround mount, any suggestions? (what about the alignment etc....), re-cone it?

Regards
    To my knowledge JBL never put the surround on the front of the 2245H cone...probably a refoam. I'd recone it to get it right, because cosmetically the cone will be ruined. I think I've seen some early LE14's with Lansaloy surrounds mounted to the front and maybe some LE8T but I'm not certain on that.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    I think I've seen some early LE14's with Lansaloy surrounds mounted to the front and maybe some LE8T but I'm not certain on that.
    As far as I know all LE14A/s and C's have the surround glued to the front of the cone. 'Not sure about the newer LE14 series...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    'Not sure about the newer LE14 series....
    LE14H-3 butyl surround is attached to the rear of the cone here....

Obsolete
    As far as I know all LE14A/s and C's have the surround glued to the front of the cone. 'Not sure about the newer LE14 series...

John
    I've never seen an LE14A kit with the surround glued to the front. I've never reconed an LE14A that had the surround glued to the front of the cone. None of my new LE14A's came with surrounds glued to the front of the cone. I've only seen a couple hundred over the years though. I doubt it's been more than three hundred.

Ok. looking forward to a new re-cone job

Thanks for the information edgewound.

It seems that I had to re-cone this unit to have it look like the same as the other one of my 2245H pair.

The 2245H re-cone-kit you took the pics of, its not for sale, is it?
    (if yes, maybe you could send me a PM for details).

Regards
    Flodstroem

John
    Pic of an original LE-14C in an Apollo I sold to Phil. Foam is clearly attached to back.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    None of my new LE14A's came with surrounds glued to the front of the cone.
    All the LE14A's I've had, (8-10), have had the white lansaloy surrounds glued to the front - maybe when they switched to black they also changed the mounting method? The white surrounds also have the bulge going in, (concave from the front) - did they also change this with the black surrounds?

I've attached 2 pics of one I have here, (out of 4). This speaker has never been modified. The first is from the front - the surround is clearly on the outside. And while it may be hard to tell, the second shows the inside edge of the cone going right up to the surround:

John
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Checked four LE14A's here. Lansaloy surrounds on the front. Resurrounds, too.

[John's are in better shape, tho.... ]

I hate to see a picture like that being used to illustrate anything. Let's use one of mine instead.

Obsolete
    Wow! I can't believe all you guys lived right there in the same state as JBL and didn't get them damn lans-a-loy surrounds replaced. You did know it was a free service for roughly ten years right?

I guess I've only been around the 1975 and newer LE14A's.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    I hate to see a picture like that being used to illustrate anything. Let's use one of mine instead.
    Soon's kits come available, it'll get a new life here, I promise....

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    You did know it was a free service for roughly ten years right?
    'Guess I didn't travel in circles where that was common knowledge back then. They did recone a pair of mine for free in 1982 that went through a flood. The water went about halfway up the cones on a pair of S-99's I had at the time. I built new cabinets out of Finnish birch plywood, ('was working for the Grateful Dead's sound company at the time - that's all we used), then used a clear coating for a natural finish, and sanded the fronts of the lattice grilles down to natural also.

BTW - do the black surrounds now have a convex bulge, unlike the lansaloy concave bulge?

John

Thread Information