Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The Audiophile?

OK

Mr. Widget

I think the perception of the audiophile by the uninitiated is a guy who isn't particularly successful with members of the fairer sex

Widget
    That's got to be about 50% of this forum.....

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey Ian

you have lots of great knowledge to share and its quite interesting, BUT it's very hard to read..

could you hit "enter" or CR every now and then to make a little air in the big block of text ?

thx

I'm not sure what the deal is since the upgrade, but my sentences all get bunched together even though I put breaks in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'm an audio-techno-econophile.
    Dome, I think you really do know who you are...

I suppose I am a bit of a technophobe, though I certainly have embraced my iPod with lossless files and a good DAC.
    Econophile... I don't think I'd ever be mistaken for one, though I drive a diesel VW and often hand make my Christmas gifts.

Am I an audiophile? Yep, and not ashamed to be called a lover of audio. I am one with zipcord speaker wire and a mix of new and used gear. I do love music, listening to live and recorded as often as I can, but I have to admit my record collection is my next area to focus on in my playback chain.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey Ian

you have lots of great knowledge to share and its quite interesting, BUT it's very hard to read..

could you hit "enter" or CR every now and then to make a little air in the big block of text ?

thx
    I have many of my posts since the new upgrade get chunked together, even tho they started with proper returns and line feeds.

Perhaps if you go back and edit afterwords its drops all the formatting characters.

But its def a recent "innovation"
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I'm an audio-techno-econophile.
    I, for one, am a basshead
    Name:  6310979828_d6db8190d0_z.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  171.5 KB
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Cool Keep Scrolling...

I often wonder why an old thread like this gets resurrected. It sits dormant for months, falling further and further down from the active threads, and then it pops back up in an odd fashion. I guess it's the title or a keyword that someone is looking for, or maybe folks really do use the search engine or plod through all the threads to see what's down "in the basement" so to speak?

This thread lasted slightly less than three days way back in March... and here it is!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think you may have it there with "in the basement". I often scroll down to see the "Similar Threads" links, and hardly ever look at the dates... (There's one down there now called "What is an Audiophile?" from 2008.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Dome, I think you really do know who you are...

I suppose I am a bit of a technophobe, though I certainly have embraced my iPod with lossless files and a good DAC.
    Econophile... I don't think I'd ever be mistaken for one, though I drive a diesel VW and often hand make my Christmas gifts.

Am I an audiophile? Yep, and not ashamed to be called a lover of audio. I am one with zipcord speaker wire and a mix of new and used gear. I do love music, listening to live and recorded as often as I can, but I have to admit my record collection is my next area to focus on in my playback chain.

Widget

Perhaps a definition of an audiophile is required:What is an audiophile?

Quote"We play my solid 256kbps VBR MP3 of "Heroes" off my iPod; it sounds like shit. Free of pops and crackles, yes, but completely lifeless, flat in every way. This is the detail that matters: Audiophiles are basically synesthesiacs. They "see" music in three-dimensional visual space. You close your eyes in Fremer's chair, and you can perceive a detailed 3D matrix of sound, with each element occupying its own special space in the air. It's crazy and I've never experienced anything like it.

It is within this 3D space where the audiophile lives and operates, and spends all his money. Fremer himself is the first to admit that it would only take $3,000 to $5,000 to build a system that will be deeply satisfying to most music fans. On a scale of 1 to 100 completely of my own devising, let's put this system at around 85. Now, imagine that you've tasted 85, and you want to go higher; you want Bowie's cries of kissing by the wall to inhabit the most perfect point in your system's matrix, and Bryan Ferry's back-up fly girls on "Avalon" to flank him just beautifully. That, friends, is where you might end up paying hundreds of thousands.

Our little scale, unfortunately, is logarithmic, in that going from zero to 85 doesn't take a lot of effort or money, but going from 98.6 to 99.1 by swapping out a $2,600 AC power cable for a $4,000 one becomes a justifiable end. We did exactly that, and I strained to hear any difference at all (more impressions of our test will follow later in the week), but to Fremer, the difference was abundantly clear—not necessarily better with the more expensive cable, but different, a warmer, fuller sound, as Fremer described it. Here's the breakdown of his current listening-room hardware:

The point is, people like Fremer can not only hear the difference, they crave it.

This obsession with tiny differences explains Fremer's fevered defense of analog music sources over digital. "
    :

I think you know Ian. (What a audiophile is) It's a person take care a little more than most regarding the quality of sound.

Perhaps a definition of an audiophile is required:What is an audiophile?

Hello Ian

That paragraph is exactly why the term Audiophile gets peoples backs up. You don't have to spend $100,000 of dollars to get there. It's a mind set that can't be defined by dollars, fashion or what have you. The only point that matters is this

The point is, people like Fremer can not only hear the difference, they crave it.
    They crave it is what makes the distinction not how much money they dropped getting there.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They crave it is what makes the distinction not how much money they dropped getting there.
    I am not sure that we all crave improvements or even differences in sound, but everyone on this forum spends an exceptional amount of time and effort in the reproduction of music or movie soundtracks even if we don't spend piles of cash doing so... though that is relative. $200 for a pair of speakers is chicken feed to some and a real extravagance to others.

Widget

Hello Widget

Crave may be the wrong word but the point is we enjoy doing it. The focus should not be on the amount of money it takes to get "there". The article start's off saying that most would be happy with a 3K-5K system. Then goes on the say that to get X point you may have the spend 100K's and then goes on about switching out power cords that cost as much as the 3-5K system.

Why is most of the content aimed at justifying the cost and not about the hobby?? The implication to me is to be an audiophile you need to spend money. That's complete BS, you can't use the amount of money someone spends as yard stick on their passion.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Let me twist the question. What happened to the Japanese audiophile production? It seems production has shifted to 100% mass production, while in the 1970s, big Japanese brands were also producing some of these great audiophile products that we would be lucky to hear.

"Although Technics' own response graphs show a sharp fall after 22Khz, frequency response is said to extend to 36Khz."

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-10000.html

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Why is most of the content aimed at justifying the cost and not about the hobby?? The implication to me is to be an audiophile you need to spend money. That's complete BS, you can't use the amount of money someone spends as yard stick on their passion.
    I agree completely that the amount spent is a terrible metric for gaging one's passion. We have customers who are very wealthy who have a half a million dollars worth of curtains in their homes... are they passionate about drapes? Of course not, they just buy what seems appropriate for their home and to their income level and what they are shown by their designers.

I'd suggest the article drifted towards the cost as it is the easiest metric to convey passion in a short article. I doubt that the author intended the message to be that an "audiophile is one who spends ridiculous amounts of money on audio gear." I think we'd all agree that Stereophile is directed towards audiophiles, and while they make their living recommending expensive gear that pays for expensive advertisements, they also have articles on restoring old Advents, and the sonic virtues of some of the old pieces of audio gear from the golden age of Hi Fi... these pieces are for those of us who have all of the passion but who aren't interested in mortgaging the house for a pair of Wilsons.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think we'd all agree that Stereophile is directed towards audiophiles, and while they make their living recommending expensive gear that pays for expensive advertisements, they also have articles on restoring old Advents,

Widget
    I've been reading Stereophile 4 or 5 years now and while they do have a column called "The Entry Level" , that has only been a development in the last year or so and mostly in response to all the reader feedback complaining about the writers living in an audio fantasy land.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information