Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Number registry?

Thumbs up N400 serial

one of my N400 crossover networks has the serial 1378. do we know when that one dates to?
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

Quote Originally Posted by Harkness View Post
    one of my N400 crossover networks has the serial 1378. do we know when that one dates to?
    Hi Harkness,

the list shows ca. end 1957 to beginning of 1958
    (why?............a confirmed number with 1291 is from end 1957, built in a Paragon)

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Hi Harkness,

the list shows ca. end 1957 to beginning of 1958
    (why?............a confirmed number with 1291 is from end 1957, built in a Paragon)

HP
    thanks again, HP.

i think this really confirms the rarity of the JBL system that i managed to find. the Hartsfield and Paragon driver/crossover set installed in mirror image C40 Harkness boxes (obviously intended for stereo reproduction) built in 1958.

i am sure it must have been a custom order and could possibly be unique.. how many custom systems with a configuration like this might have been sold in 1958, i wonder?

and for it to find it's way to Vancouver, Canada no less... i really wish i knew more about the previous owners of my speakers.
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

Hi Harkness,

That would be one of the earliest stereo pairs I heard of.

I think it would justify it's own thread with pictures and as much documentation as you have of your speakers (especially in their original configuration).

That might even spark more interest and gather more information about their history. I believe you had said these were at one time used at a public venue? Maybe other folks have seen them and know something about their history if you prominently mention the place and purpose they originally served.

We might also gain a better understanding of what JBL was doing at the time. I am always amazed at the details Harvey Gerst manages to recall about how JBL and why JBL did things back in the day. He was also aware of JBL custom special order speaker systems made in the 1950's, maybe including your pair.

And most of all, please post some pictures!

Congrats on your very special JBLs

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Harkness View Post
    thanks again, HP.

i think this really confirms the rarity of the JBL system that i managed to find. the Hartsfield and Paragon driver/crossover set installed in mirror image C40 Harkness boxes (obviously intended for stereo reproduction) built in 1958.

i am sure it must have been a custom order and could possibly be unique.. how many custom systems with a configuration like this might have been sold in 1958, i wonder?

and for it to find it's way to Vancouver, Canada no less... i really wish i knew more about the previous owners of my speakers.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

030 system pair with date stamped crossovers

030 system pair in separate ebay auctions

D130 serial number 57684 and 57685
    075 serial number 30526 and 31905
    N2600 serial number 11269 stamped Dec 20 1961
    N2600 serial number 11875 stamped May 11 1962

woofers in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-D130...QQcmdZViewItem

from auction description:
    Please see my other auctions for the matching 075 Signature Alnico 16 Ohm Tweeters, and the Matching N2600 16 Ohm/32 Ohm crossovers, and the matching enclosures which are beautiful, well done clones.
    THIS is a no reserve auction for a pair of these superb quality drivers. The J.B.L. D130 Signature 16 Ohm. These will also come with the original 11 page owners manual for the J.B.L. drivers which were available at that time.
    These two bass drivers have the original cones, surrounds, dust caps etc. The CONSECUTIVE serial numbers are 57684 with 130-202 on the cone and, 57685 with 190-202 on it's cone. One driver is in near mint condition, and the other (57684) is in excellent condition, with a very shallow figure 8 creasing in the dust cap. These were in a well made clone boxes (not included) from an estate sale. They were in the living room for all of these years, and were actually playing off of a dual 1229 when I walked in to the auction.
    I have to say that there is a photo anomaly with the look of the cones in the pics: They appear to get darker toward the inside of the cones, but that is not the case. It's more of a case of me not knowing photography all that well. Also the two dust cap close-ups are both of the one driver (57684) to try to show the crease. The other cap is perfect.

tweeters in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Please see my other auctions for the matching D130 15" bass drivers with consecutive serial numbers, and the Matching N2600 16 Ohm/32 Ohm crossovers, and the matching enclosures which are beautiful, well done clones.
    This auction is for a pair of the J.B.L. 075 Signature, 16 ohm tweeters. These will also come with the original 11 page owners manual for the J.B.L. drivers which were available at that time.
    What is there to say about these units? If you are reading this add, you are probably aware of what these can do. I tested them.......I couldn't resist! They clocked in with an efficiency of about 112 decibels at 2.83 volts - 1 meter, in free space. That is 22 decibels higher than the average dome tweeter.
    They have serial numbers 30526 and 31905 and the red seals are perfectly intact. The mounting flange/mounting brackets are included. One flange has the bolt and regular nut, and the other one has the bolt and an acorn nut.

crossovers in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Please see my other auctions for the matching D130 16 Ohm bass drivers, with consecutive serial numbers, and the 075 Signature Alnico Magnet 16 Ohm Tweeters, and the matching enclosures which are beautiful, well done clones.
    This auction is for a pair of the J.B.L. N2600 Xovers with serial numbers: 11269 which has a date of 12-20-1961 and 11875 which has a date of 5-11-62. These will also come with the original single page paper, explaining the different crossovers, and their wiring etc. These were in a well made clone boxes (not included) from an estate sale. They were in the living room for all of these years, and were actually playing off of a dual 1229 when I walked in to the auction. As you can see, they have switches for 16 & 32 Ohms, the level controls which are continuously variable, and the original J.B.L. wiring is included.
    There may be some static in the level controls, and for once I did not clean them. That was on purpose, because do to the age of these units, I didn't want to do anything that might change, "The Vintageness" of these units.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    glen

I've got them!

Hi Glen

Just a short message to mention that I'm the new owner of this pair. They are working great, I'm in love with them!

Cheers

Congrats Schwanncel

Congrats Schwanncel !
    But I'm not quite sure which pair you mean.
    Please let us know which pair you are the new owner of
    (and please post the serial numbers if they're not already in the registry)

I hope they'll bring you many years of enjoyment.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by schwanncell View Post
    Hi Glen

Just a short message to mention that I'm the new owner of this pair. They are working great, I'm in love with them!

Cheers
    glen

all done

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    .....and please post the serial numbers if they're not already in the registry....

Glen
    they are registered......

HP

BTW, Glen have you had a try with the registry database?
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Sorry Glen, I thought that my reply was linked to your post.

So the pair I'm talking about is:
    4312 serial number 74997 in box with date code 011685
    4312 serial number 78090 in box with date code 031285

Cheers

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Congrats Schwanncel !
    But I'm not quite sure which pair you mean.
    Please let us know which pair you are the new owner of
    (and please post the serial numbers if they're not already in the registry)

I hope they'll bring you many years of enjoyment.

Glen

scorpio
    Here's my humble stock;

Alnico 2405: 48534 and 48537
    Le85a still wax seald: 16355 and 31547
    LE 15A: 19606 and 11752
    2450: one pair, but tag fell from one of them so only one ref: 17471

That's it for now,

BTW, Glen have you had a try with the registry database?
    Was just looking at it, some very nice work done there!

Exciting to think about having that information online and accessible when a few years ago there was such a void of information.

Thanks!
    glen

adding mine!

D130F Serial #6747

My 120Ti numbers are J010-00936 and J011-0648. Not exactly consecutive. Infact, that might be a new record for the "least consecutive", considering they were purchased together new.

I remember there was a big pile of new 120Tis sitting there when the salesman was picking them out for me. He was making sure that I had one left and one right speaker. It never crossed either of our minds at the time (1991) to see if there were some closer serial numbers. Oh well, I still love them.

L830s are HA0244-02972, HA0244-02973, HA0244-03591, and HA0244-03592

P20s are J1147-0528514 and J1147-528631

LC1 is still in the mail.
    Last edited by Vintage Nut; 11-15-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additional speakers
    Sony N55ES (2), E1000ESD, C85ES - JBL 120Ti | Onkyo TX-SR605 - JBL L830 (4), LC1 (1) | Dell - Pioneer SX-750 - JBL 4406

The new Registry for everyone

Hi All,

this thread now will get some kind of unnecessary cause now we have our new registry.
    You can fill out the form by yourself.

Here's the link:

URL: http://www.prpr.no/lhs
    Username: LHS
    Password: lhs2007

HP

Smile Will do HP, but..

Hi All,
    this thread now will get some kind of unnecessary cause now we have our new registry.
    You can fill out the form by yourself.
    ..what about all the nice pics attached for entertainment?

Have one (1) empty cabinet for registration, spotted in a garage some weeks ago, and virtually rescued from ending in the fireplace this winter. Fair condition 3-4: some serious scratches all around, a nudged corner on the back side, the front is still very nice – definitely needs work. Only network, terminal & grille are still in place. Foilcal serial #15695, untouched 3143 crossover #16655.

It's going to be picked up today – another member made the contact to a collector in Italy, who has a veneered orphan in similar shape. Perhaps we'll once see them as couple again when refurb'ed.

Edit: It's gone. Has been swapped, not sold, for a pair of JBL drivers that I have more use for.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information