Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ian's Saturday Soiree in LA

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    L.A. looks beautiful. I'll have to put on list of "must see"
    Dood...

You are confusing beauty with being obscured by fog - London can be plenty beauty, too. LA get's shrouded in smog - it's own special blend...

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Have you ever seen a more sophisticated group of Lansi-philes? It was fun to meet familiar monikers for the first time and meet up again with others. There was some great conversation over appetizers and dinner. Too brief indeed.

Clockwise from left...Dave(grumpy), Glen, Steve Schell, Debbie(my wife, Magnet3), Ken(edgewound), Doug(TiDome), Ian, and Todd.
    It's curious that the only clean-shaven faces are Ian's and... Debbie's, though I'm in no way implying she shaves! What a bunch of hoary-faced men we are.

It looks like the Zilch group is 60/40 facial hair to clean-shaven, if Ian is factored out. Can't count him twice, you know.

Ah, now there's a new bone of contention for the Forums.

Or perhaps Ian will usher in a new age of razors and shavers, with daily stubble removal a hygienic regimen for all members.

Kinda doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Dood...

You are confusing beauty with being obscured by fog - London can be plenty beauty, too. LA get's shrouded in smog - it's own special blend...
    Well, Bo...at least we remain responsible custodians of our smog. You Bay Area dudes ship yours up to Tehachapi.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

It was great having Ian here during his all too brief visit. He is a fascinating fellow and a true gentleman.

Great fun also getting together with the LH brigade and dragging them through the Lansing Heritage Museum and Sweat Lodge. Everyone hung in for the extended history of the Lansing and Altec Lansing 800Hz. horns, despite it being about 90 degrees in the house.

Thanks to Titanium Dome are in order for organizing the day and making the meal reservation; super choice as usual.

Thanks Ian and SoCal LH members

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Thanks to Titanium Dome are in order for organizing the day

Seconded!!
    Thank you Doug for pulling this together!
    Thanks Ian for gracing us with you entertaining and enlightening prescence.
    Thanks to Steve for a great recap of the evolution of the Lansing horns and the antique/avant-garde audio demos.
    And a big thanks to everyone who came out and made Ian's visit such an enjoyable event!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Done and seen amazing things in just a few days..

Thankyou Lansing friends

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Done and seen amazing things in just a few days..

Thankyou Lansing friends

Ian
    Oh, now you've done it! List, please, and what was the most amazing?

Ian should be half way to New York by now. His visit here was short and the time blew by like the blink of an eye.

We started about 10:30 am at my place with the near coincident arrival of Ian and Clark from Peoria at the same time. Drinking a bottle of cold Stout on the patio right after finishing my morning coffee was not my original plan but when Clark opened his cooler and made the offer, nobody refused.

I won't call our get together an official LHS meeting since there were just the 3 of us, but we did talk about forum topics and of course a lot of JBL. We spent most of the time listening to music on my rudimentary and somewhat temporary system setup. I still have not put the finishing touches on my music room but we all had a place to sit. Bi-amped 4345's on my main system and some tunes on my surround system with 4344's up front, 4313's on the side and my 4341's pulling up the rear. Maybe if Ian's visit would have been a month or two later I might have had a chance to be more permanantly set up. We made the best of the event.

I left Clark and Ian to their own resources for a while after receiving a call from school asking that I come there and pick up my damaged son - a soccer related ankle injury. When I returned they were both sitting where I left them - engulfed in serious JBL conversation.

We had a late dinner at a restaurant close by along with a few more drinks and then we were back to music and more conversation. My wife joined us for dinner but refrained from all of the JBL talk that followed. I think Clark left for his return drive to Peoria about 12:30 am so he paid his dues and then had a long drive back home. Ian and I were both struggling to stay awake and we called it a day shortly after that. Ian and I had coffee this morning, with a few parting reminders and he was off in a rush and in fear of missing his plane. We could well have spent the rest of the day talking more.

Guys, I hope you had a good time as it was surely a pleasure for me to host you for the day. Besides the music, booze and food we spent some time in my dust bowl garage looking over some of my current projects. Ian - I hope that you came away with a few construction ideas for your next project - vennering is easy so don't be intimidated.

Rick

P.S. Rich - your 1/4-20 screws are on their way - hand delivered by Ian upon his arrival in London - Cheers!!

your a diamond ! thanks.

Hey Maestro,
    the poor guy must be knackered. He'll sleep for 2 days when he gets here.
    Around the world in 4345's. What are you using to bi-amp your puppies ?
    Makes me feel better knowing you prefer the 4345's over anything else you might have just kicking around.

Say hi to Donna for me .

thanks again, Rich

Rich:

As Ian will confirm, my listening area is quite cluttered right now. The 4344's are sitting partially in front of the 45's and somewhat blocking what they're trying to produce. Since I only recently put them into service I have done nothing to optimize their performance. I had amps in place to run my 4350's and 4351 verticals so I just changed the x-over point to 290 and let them run. No Krells in my inventory, just old vintage SAE, MAC and some tubes from time to time. Am currently running them on 200 wpc on the hi end and 300 on the low side. I will eventually go back to tubes on top and solid state for the 2245H. All in good time as I am getting close to finishing off my room. If I could leave new construction alone (ha!!!) I would have more than enough time for paint, carpet and fine tuning.

I'll see if I can find a couple pics to show you what I'm talking about.

Ian and I did have a small glass of Balvinie at the end of the evening but neither of us had enough steam left to have a second.

Rick

Makes me feel better knowing you prefer the 4345's over anything else you might have just kicking around.
    Whoa there Sir Richard and hold the presses! I never said that I preferred the 4345 to anything else I have or have had. History - I owned a pair of 45's years back and sold them, maybe about 6 years ago. They were sitting unused and I was busy with work and new busssiness. Seemed like a good choice at the time but I eventually regretted selling them. I now have a pair again and I've tried to make them as good as possible without throwing stupid amounts of money into the project.

They are great and better than I remember my other pair to be - but (and I just said this to Ian last night) there will always be a place in my stable for a double woofer pair sporting a 12" mid-base and a 2" throat killer mid range driver. I also told him that the 2122H was one of the most impressive mid base drivers that I have ever listened to - so when adding the 18" woofer to that equation there's no doubt that the 4345 is a superior performer.

I think, since I'm a nice guy and all that kind of crap, that I should be entitled to own both.

Have fun with your London blowout and remember to fill all of us in on the details.

Rick

Rich,

The first 2 days were stretching...but I'm fine.

Off to sample New Yorks finest!

Ian

Hey Maestro,
    the poor guy must be knackered. He'll sleep for 2 days when he gets here.
    Around the world in 4345's. What are you using to bi-amp your puppies ?

Say hi to Donna for me .

thanks again, Rich

Ian:

I see that you have made it to NY. Hope you were able to close your eyes for a few minutes on the flight.

Here's one of the pics we took last night. Everyone will see that beards were in the minority last night - as were sparsely populated heads.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by riessen View Post
    Drinking a bottle of cold Stout on the patio right after finishing my morning coffee was not my original plan but when Clark opened his cooler and made the offer, nobody refused.
    Ha! Good one. Nice Australian etiquette - beer before breakfast...

Ian and I were both struggling to stay awake and we called it a day shortly after that.
    Yea, we got to that point, too. It was hard to switch it all off, though - but, morning flight times suggested it was a good idea...

I will eventually go back to tubes on top and solid state for the 2245H.
    I have not done this, and should. I'm running with QSC CX-series, and find them really excellent - not lacking in any respect. But still, it should be tried...

I never said that I preferred the 4345 to anything else I have or have had. History - I owned a pair of 45's years back and sold them, maybe about 6 years ago. They were sitting unused and I was busy...
    Dammit, Rick!

Seemed like a good choice at the time but I ... regretted selling them.

... just said this to Ian last night) there will always be a place in my stable for a double woofer pair sporting a 12" mid-base and a 2" throat killer mid range driver.

Great tour update - kinda like tracking a hurricane...

Nice picture!

I'm in London now, but not sure I can get to Rich's - business is completely overwhelming pleasure. Bummer... The Tube strike has finished - it is easier to move about, so we shall see...

Thread Information