Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: trying to bi-amp...crossover adding too much hiss

Quote Originally Posted by Guy in WNY View Post
    I used insulated washers to mount the amps, that helped a lot. ...but the hum bothers me at times.
    Hi, Guy...

The washers are fine, but that is not your biggest source of the GL. You will need to unplug everything and work backward from the amps (upstream) toward your sources, plugging one source's signal in at a time, until you find the culprit. That signal will need to be isolated from the system using some isolation transformers. There is a thread here somewhere that discusses this. Radio Shack has a cheap and very effective cable for this - works great.

have not read the complete thread in detail, but feel I have been there with the x-over hiss.
    There is a forum that covers the Behringer and describes a passive output stage, the mod is easy and makes a huge difference to the hiss. It will also drop the output by about 15dB.
    I also found unless you are driving the x-over properly it will sound real compressed at low volumes, the only way out of this is to have a 6 channel attenuator after the x-over, the same forum covers this. In the ned I gave up and went back to my L96 3 ways and added a sub.
    Best of luck.

I switched out my MiniDSP balanced crossovers with a Xilica XP4080, and the hiss is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by glen101 View Post
    have not read the complete thread in detail, but feel I have been there with the x-over hiss.
    There is a forum that covers the Behringer and describes a passive output stage, the mod is easy and makes a huge difference to the hiss. It will also drop the output by about 15dB.
    I also found unless you are driving the x-over properly it will sound real compressed at low volumes, the only way out of this is to have a 6 channel attenuator after the x-over, the same forum covers this. In the ned I gave up and went back to my L96 3 ways and added a sub.
    Best of luck.
    One of the reason I like my BGW 620B's so much...Alps attenuators.

J.A.F.S.

Forum on Behringer Output stage?

Quote Originally Posted by glen101 View Post
    Best of luck.
    What is that forum's URL?
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
    I switched out my MiniDSP balanced crossovers with a Xilica XP4080, and the hiss is gone.

Nice. How do you like the Xilica overall? Nice interface etc....?

Thanks,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I've got an xilica crossover that I'm very happy with. I do the programming via the USB on the front and the program is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
    Hi ellisr63,

What model of MiniDSP You have been used before using Xilica XP4080 ?

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Nice. How do you like the Xilica overall? Nice interface etc....?

Thanks,

Warren
    I like it very much. It has a little learning curve, but not much. Once you learn it it is very easy to use. I prefer doing most of my adjustments with the web interface which is very nice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi ellisr63,

What model of MiniDSP You have been used before using Xilica XP4080 ?

regards
    ivica
    I had the balanced 2x4 in a box version (not the kit). I originally had the unbalanced and loved it, but when I went to the balanced version I had a hiss problem. I am not sure if most people would hear it, but in my setup it was hearable from over 12' away. With less efficient speakers it might be fine.

Thread Information