Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

Of course I was going by the RRP on Yamahaa site. Considering the amount of titles available in 7.1 or 7.2, sort of makes that point pointless anyway.

JBL 4645
    These AVR are cheap and I only use it as processor for selection modes that DVD laserdisc Bluray is attached to and other things like few Dolby dts CS-5.1 why they call it CS-5.1 because its fake simulation to discrete sigh.

Separate matching amps for matching fronts surrounds subs what ever at least you can see the punishment of the levels on the barograph display, that won’t show up on a typical expensive AVR coasting $£10 grand now!

If I placed the LCR fronts closer to the wall I notice bass mid is warmer and louder in SPL db and therefore less power needed. If I move them forwards because of the room too close to the walls I get narrow stereo plus the TV and other things are in the way, so the sound bounces off and causes little issues.

So they have to be on the near to the edge. That’s where I loss a bit of low end in SPL db not much in frequency just that the frequency level in SPL db drops by so many db, therefore it needs just a bit more power only tiny amount, this shows on the Alesis RA300 in the LF.

Same thing for the JBL sub even though I’m supplying it with bridge mode same amp, but if I have nulls that show up on the frequency sweep charts, well there it is, I need to shift sofa around or sub or locate other sub to mate on with the other to help fill in that null frequency gap!

There are lots and lots of variables to look at, its not as simple for one to rush out buy the hottest AVR and speakers and sub and just throw it in the room, hoping its going to sound better than the local professional THX cinema, LOL.

Anyway I got my eye on a cheap ONKYO TX-SR707 DolbyTrue dtsHD THX RCA 7.1 phone outputs £599.00 as soon as I scrape up the money, won’t be till early next year.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...ver&m=TX-SR707

I’ll keep the existing Kenwood KRF-9050D THX Select where I can connect it up with the new AVR for extra, extra inputs etc, and additional audio processing which seems to elude most owners.

One thing a good AVR should last 10 years or more before changing in today’s (Dolby dts common audio decoding) my Bluray is playing fine no worries unless its rubbish disc from one that was produced for laserdisc and DVD that’s just been rehashed over and over, catch my, drift?

Put the new decoder is kinder required also my AVR doesn’t support 7.1 or 8 channel decoding only 6 channel, yes I know wow big deal only two channels more.

Too bad Sony can’t get there act together with SDDS8 on Bluray, but 8 channel can support it if you think.

I sold off a mid-range Yamaha AVR recently - had some kind of windows based network radio functionality and a few other features I'd never use.

For the few times we've done distant listening via the internet, the Mac iTunes/Airtunes feature fed through the Apple TV and an optical cable (or RCA) into a receiver seems to work quite well That feature is not AVR dependent - I can even do it on my old stereo carver receiver with simple RCA AUX inputs.

I don't need the multizone feature that comes with most receivers either -
    tho both the HK units I've had had it.
    I have 3 standalone systems in the house and simple solutions like that work fine.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Have you searched for any used Lexicon units? I believe it should be possible to get one for around $1000-$1200

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I just picked up a B-stock Onkyo HT-RC180 from Fry's for $600... they seem
    to have taken on quite a few of these to sell. They might have them vi outpost.com as well.

Very similar to TX-SR807, uses same manual:
    (110w vs 135w, 5 vs 6 HDMI in, no RS-232 or IR trigger in/outs on HT unit).

Does require air space... unhampered ventilation.

For it's intended use, it's fine (not exactly a TiDome level setup when playing
    back "Master & Commander", but it'll do for now)
    Last edited by grumpy; 12-14-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Ah... sorry. This post has nothing to do with Lansing Heritage Products.

JBL 4645
    I might be changing my mind on the Onkyo. Yamaha has model minis THX! It has pre-outputs all the different Dolby/dts thingy’s a mic to auto EQ calibrate the room Yamaha RXV-765 £349.95.

The guy can’t get the model in till around Monday, oh, well there’s no rush for it.

Again, I have tried a couple of Receivers, and I'm current using the Harman Kardon top of the line receiver from 2005 (HK AVR 7300),
    7x110w/ch, but I am more interested in going with a preamp/Processor and standalone amps.

I don't think AV receivers give me the best possibilities in regard to sound, especially when I am doing double duty as a stereo source for vinyl, CDs and the like when used in music only mode.

Well, if I was to go with a receiver, I'd probably get one of the newer Hk receivers
    but without the high power amps built in ... maybe 70w/ch instead of the 110w/ch
    the AVR7300 has - and hopefully with HDMI 1.3, etc. Most pf the other feature it has are fine.
    If I do a small upgrade within a tight budget - I don't really need big amps for the rear/surrounds -
    the L20T/L20T3s do fine at that level in that room.

JBL 4645
    LOL I think that’s why there so cheap. I mean face it any normal set-up will consist of large hefty heavy amps when stacked altogether you’d have hard time lugging that lot around.

"...but I am more interested in going with a preamp/Processor and standalone amps."

That's where I was headed... as I have plenty of decent sounding amps.
    ... then an older Kenwood Sovereign receiver popped, and I had to slip
    something in quickly.

Viable (for my wishes) pre/pro options seemed to converge in the $2K neighborhood,
    regardless of manufacturer or age (within reason). Obviously, one can spend
    a great deal more.

Old Lexicon units weren't going to manage video without an external box,
    and keeping up with the various digital formats is a whack-a-mole game.

For now, my HT and stereo systems will remain separate.

Obsolete
    Does Adcom have anything worth looking at? Or is that considered grunge these days?

GTP870HD ?

Almost 3 years old and still selling for ~$2K. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I don't think AV receivers give me the best possibilities in regard to sound, especially when I am doing double duty as a stereo source for vinyl, CDs and the like when used in music only mode.
    I agree with you 100%

This has been discussed numerous time on several threads so I won't wind bag about how terrible virtually all surround processors and AVRs sound in stereo mode and especially with analog inputs.

Widget

There are 'worthy' audio-only pre-amps with HT pass-thru functions that can
    help somewhat, in that not everyone has space for two independent rooms
    and the attendant equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    There are 'worthy' audio-only pre-amps with HT pass-thru functions that can help somewhat...
    That is always my recommendation if audio quality is paramount and the budget won't accommodate a mega buck front end... but it does complicate the operation of the system. Some people have a tough time switching back and forth.

BTW: HT pass through is somewhat of a convenience, but it isn't necessary. The L and R outs of the processor/AVR can simply be an aux input on the two channel preamp.

Widget

Heather,

I have a stack of Adcom GFA-565 monoblock amps that all just recently had the caps replaced. I could bring a couple over if you'd like to try them in your system to see if you hear benefits over your receiver. I also have a preamp you can borrow for the test run. Oh, and I have a GFA-555II stereo amp you can try as well.

You can pick up the GFA-555 (200 wpc), GFA-545 (100 wpc) and GFA-535 (60 wpc) stereo amps dirt cheap and they are good performers with no history of capacitor problems (that I'm aware of) like the GFA-565 mono and GFA-585 stereo amps. A used GFA-545 100 watt amp was my first Adcom piece in 1991. It had nice tight bass and I liked it so much that I never put my big BGW-750C back in the system.

PM me if you're interested and we can hook up over/after Christmas holidays.

I have no experience with them, but I've been reading pretty good things about the Emotiva stuff. Outlaw, as stated earlier, is also a well-respected bang for the buck brand if you're looking for separates. I used to be very partial to Adcom, but they aren't the same company; at least right now. I think if I was in that market again, I'd be looking strongly at Rotel.

Steve
    Last edited by svollmer; 12-15-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Thread Information