Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Organists

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4tb...related&search=
    I keep this one in my favorites....
    Her left foot kicks butt over Ray Manzarek's left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Isn't she wonderful! Those are acoustic bass lines and she does them with the same great facility and taste she plays everything with. I think she is a major artist.

Not a musical observation, but did anyone notice how beautiful she is? When I thought of German ladies and music I pictured two hundred pound opera singers wearing a helmet with horns and singing Wagner. That stereotype in my head has been replaced by this Jazz Angel.

Try this one. Fun video too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7KQnlYj4Jc&NR=1

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

More about Barbara

From this page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY&NR=1

Added: May 14, 2006

Seeing is believing. It looks impossible, but it's true, Barbara Dennerlein plays bass lines with her left foot that I couldn't play with my left hand.

Unlike many organists, she did not begin with piano. When she was 11 years old she began playing organ, including the use of the foot pedals. She took lessons for a year and a half from a teacher who played jazz himself. By the time she was 13 she was completely on her own in regard to her musical development.

Charlie Parker was her musical hero and biggest influence. While she respects Jimmy Smith's musicianship and his enormous contribution to jazz organ, she did not model her playing, sound, technique or musical approach after his.

Like Jimmy, she developed her own personal style and unmistakable sound. Her artistic sensibilities are closer to Larry Young than Jimmy Smith, but they are still very much her own.

In the 80's Jimmy Smith briefly moved from Hammond B3 to another make of organ, experimented with synthesizers and even played electric piano. In the 80's Barbara also began to experiment, but she took a different approach.

She integrated midi technology into her B3 keyboard and sampled an upright bass to give her bass pedals a more realistic sound.

This video is one small glimpse into her musical world, I hope you'll view the other clips on my channel, and enjoy clips by other great B3 players. My hope is that music is enjoyed as a celebration, and not a competition - it's art not sport.

Barbara Dennerlein, Hammond B3 Organ. Dennis Chambers, Drums. (Not shown on clip: Andy Sheppard, Sax, Mitch Watkins, Guitar.) Vienna, 1992

Seeing is believing.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Her left foot kicks butt over alot of bass players BOTH hands!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    From this page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY&NR=1

Added: May 14, 2006

She integrated midi technology into her B3 keyboard and sampled an upright bass to give her bass pedals a more realistic sound.
    Seeing is believing.
    If you listen to the video, you will hear the Hammond sound similar to a vibraphone/celeste. This would also be done ala midi-interface.

Here's a little video about the new $3,000,000 organ at the Orange Co Performing Arts Center:

http://media2.ocregister.com/slideshow/slices_organ_sz/

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Here's a little video about the new $3,000,000 organ at the Orange Co Performing Arts Center:

http://media2.ocregister.com/slideshow/slices_organ_sz/
    Wow....that is a stunning and beautiful piece of craftsmanship!

Thanks for sharing....

Clark,

thank you for introducing Barbara Dennerlein. What an organ player!
    I read on her home page:

"For all of my fans who really love the Hammond-organ I want to recommend my CD Solo. On that CD you can check out the pure Hammond-organ sound in a Solo concert, recorded without any overdubs. I just sat down and played in front of a great audience simply with my modified Hammond-organ and playing my foot-pedal bass."

(Contact me if you want a CD from Germany, I see a very easy way.)

PS: "When I thought of German ladies ..."
    Ever forgotten "deutsches Fräulein"?

This is a great compilation of SOME of the 60's greats !

The Happy Organ Man..Dave "Baby" Cortez...is missing, but they have Stevie Winwood and Brian Auger !

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Clark,

thank you for introducing Barbara Dennerlein. What an organ player!
    I read on her home page:

"For all of my fans who really love the Hammond-organ I want to recommend my CD Solo. On that CD you can check out the pure Hammond-organ sound in a Solo concert, recorded without any overdubs. I just sat down and played in front of a great audience simply with my modified Hammond-organ and playing my foot-pedal bass."

(Contact me if you want a CD from Germany, I see a very easy way.)
    Thank you, Peter. More of her CDs are showing up on CD Baby for sale here, so I may be able to get it here. If not, I will take you up on your kind offer. I did not know if she was well known in Germany or not. I discovered her on YouTube.
    PS: "When I thought of German ladies ..."
    Ever forgotten "deutsches Fräulein"?
    "German Girls?" You lost me there. What is your reference? I must say listening to her greeting in English on her website made me fall in love. Any talented, beautiful woman who sounds like that when she talks...I would be road kill in ten seconds. And I can explain that to my German Friend.

Musicfann, great tip. Welcome to the forums! I didn't know Dave "Baby" Cortez was from the UK.

Clark

I did not know if she was well known in Germany or not. I discovered her on YouTube.
    Clark, you made me discover her on YouTube ! There I watched another video with Harald Schmidts late night show in German television, where he interviewed her and let her play live with the band. Great! Harald Schmidt has a feeling for what is trendy but I missed that show.

"German Girls?"
    ...I would be road kill in ten seconds. And I can explain that to my German Friend.
    Yes. Young smiling German ladies perceived by American GIs when they were here. What else should the girls have done? When the war began they were aged round about sixteen.
    ... and some GIs lost their heart .

Barbara Dennerlein is shurely a pretty person. And she seems to have a very distinct but kind self-assurance (?, Selbstbewußtsein).

I hope I do not get moderator attention for this, but the saying is "German girls are best," and that is what I thought you meant.

Of course this is quite on topic as we are talking about Barbara! Do a lot of German ladies have Selbstbewußtsein?

Clark

Clark

"Selbstbewußtsein": I do not want to discuss this in a general and political sense, we just had an OT-course here.

When I look at the youngsters by daily work it is fine I think with all its individual differences. No sneaks (Duckmäuser).

The only distinctly Deutsch quality I know I possess every day, besides my last name, is Fahrfergnugen. We have driven only TDI Volkswagens since 1996. I consider them the automotive equivalent of JBL Pro.

Clark

Fahrvergnügen
    For me it is difficulty to make the same differentiation between PRO and CONSUMER for cars the same as for speakers. :dont-know

"Fahrvergnügen " in many aspects is highly appreciated.
    To stay on topic I mean this sometimes roaring unit (not organ) with a pedal (yes) and a pipe (at least one), sometimes called automobil.
    Favorit cars are obviously BMW, Audi, Mercedes and others (please interpret this as different kinds of music ). My children tell that it is a great Fahrvergnügen to drive with 240 km/h on the Autobahn (I am sure you know this word ), which is possible in northern Germany at some parts (traffic, speed limit). I have never been that fast. If the engine is not restricted to this speed some cars may be even quicker. With a modern car this is like flying on a cloud.
    Breaking is no problem with these cars, but it is a physical challenge for the driver my son tells. (ääh, we surely never listen too loud )

And we like good music, don't we?

Thread Information