Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is newer better : 4430 vs 1400 Array

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    With all the effusive praise I was beginning to question my decision over three years ago, but then I've not heard anyone compare the 1400 Array to the 4345 with CC mods bi-amped yet. It doesn't matter to me since I'm not changing anything right now . . . or for the foreseeable future. I'd be very impressed by anything that sounded better than what I'm listening to right now. Met a guy the other day who swears by Avalon speakers and says they're the best. Their website confirms his claim, no surprise! New versus old brings lots of other stuff into the mix but it would seem the 1400 Arrays are well-priced compared to contemporary competition.
    I agree with Phil () ...if you are happy with what you have..stick with it.
    OTOH ... referring to the topic question: if faced with the 4430 & 1400 and you are starting from scratch and money is not a concern, then by all means buy the Array.
    simple answer, thread shud have been 2, maybe 3 replies long.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Obsolete
    Agreed. Let's just delete everything past post #2.

With all the effusive praise I was beginning to question my decision over three years ago, but then I've not heard anyone compare the 1400 Array to the 4345 with CC mods bi-amped yet.
    Stick a pair of SAM1HF's running 1400 Array networks over your 2245H's and 2122H's.

The SAM1HF's are five grand a pair retail and they go with a wide variety of low frequency transducers. The 1400 Arrays are twelve grand a pair retail. Anyone here good at math?

With all the effusive praise I was beginning to question my decision over three years ago, but then I've not heard anyone compare the 1400 Array to the 4345 with CC mods bi-amped yet.
    I have compared 4344's and the Arrays in the same room right next to each other. The Arrays win.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    I really like your LE14H enclosures Rob. I plan to do something similarly narrow for a pair of fifteens.

For some reason I thought the Array box was the same volume as the PS1400 box but I think it is roughly 0.4 cu ft larger at 3.2 cu ft (31 Hz). The 240Ti was 3.6 cu ft (30 Hz) and the 250Ti was 4.0 cu ft (28 Hz). I'm playing around with the 1501FE as time permits and it generally likes the same volumes. All the new 150xAL/FE generally like the same volumes although Greg and Jerry have been increasing the Bl in the latest versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I have compared 4344's and the Arrays in the same room right next to each other.
    I admire your work.

Both are tiny compared to the 4345 box size. Not that size matters . . . in anything!

Or does it?

I'm fairly good at math but some here may remember I passed (or ceased to follow through on an offer) on a 1400 pair at something around $3800. At that time few were championing them as they are now and I questioned the provenance of this pair, which later seemed to be a non-issue.

As a bit of a fatalist, I figure my missing those led me to the 4345 "clones" I now enjoy. I think I'll put on some music.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    I'm fairly good at math but some here may remember I passed (or ceased to follow through on an offer) on a 1400 pair at something around $3800.
    Sounds scary, were they stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Sounds scary, were they stolen?
    Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ray-1400-in-Va

I wonder if John B still has them. Something sticks in my mind (yeah, I know) about him offering them for sale.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    I didn't remember John B buying them. $3,800 a pair is just nuts.

$3,800 a pair is just nuts.
    We say that now, but no one was willing to pull the trigger back them for a long while and two auctions. The Array was still a good 25% more than the 4345 clones. That was a lot of coin at the time, and still is now.

I'm just calling it fate and I couldn't be happier about the way it turned out. Every once and a while I'll show my family pictures of the Arrays to show them what could have been the focal point of their living room. As big as they are, the 4345s still seem to blend in. I suspect I'd have a hard time putting a TV atop a 1400 Array, much less decorating one for Christmas!

Listening right now to Bruce Cockburn's Small Source of Comfort on the 4345s. "Lois on the Autobahn".
    I never think he gets enough credit for how his talent has grown over the decades. Happy I was able to see him live just six months ago.

That 1400 pair was on offer for a while and slid down to that price. This was before the array series started getting their due here and before the stereophile thing.

Thanks guys! Those quarter rounds makes things real easy. Those cabinets are 3.8 cubit ft so a little bigger than the real thing.

I'm just calling it fate and I couldn't be happier about the way it turned out.
    That's what matters most.

Happy I was able to see him live just six months ago.
    I just got back from seeing the Moody Blues on the 45th Anniversary tour of Days and Future Passed. Would you believe it's been 45 years since the first time you heard Nights in White Satin!! Wow

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I'm just calling it fate and I couldn't be happier about the way it turned out. Every once and a while I'll show my family pictures of the Arrays to show them what could have been the focal point of their living room. As big as they are, the 4345s still seem to blend in. I suspect I'd have a hard time putting a TV atop a 1400 Array, much less decorating one for Christmas!
    This might help...

This afternoon my girlfriend and I were sitting on the couch enjoying music through the Everests and I mentioned that I was probably going to keep them. She then asked, "If you sell them what would you replace them with?" I told her that I'd bring back my old speakers. (1400 Arrays) Her response was quite surprising. "No, not those tragedies!" I guess this is one of the few instances where even BIG has a higher WAF.

Of course for me it is a balancing act between finances and musical enjoyment... I still genuinely like the 1400 Arrays... a lot, but when compared to the mighty Everests... well.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    This afternoon my girlfriend and I were sitting on the couch enjoying music through the Everests and I mentioned that I was probably going to keep them. She then asked, "If you sell them what would you replace them with?" I told her that I'd bring back my old speakers. (1400 Arrays) Her response was quite surprising. "No, not those tragedies!" I guess this is one of the few instances where even BIG has a higher WAF.
    She sounds like a very cool lady.

I showed my wife photos of your room with both systems. Thumbs down on the 1400 Arrays. Thumbs up on the Everest II's.

I showed her Guido's Everest II's as well and she was equally impressed.

She thoroughly appreciates that they are Greg's babies. She liked his house as well despite the fact that his entire living room is dominated by audio gear. The rest of his house made up for it, especially the retro kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I still genuinely like the 1400 Arrays... a lot, but when compared to the mighty Everests... well.
    Greg's 1200 Arrays are still at the top of my list. With grilles over the twelves and fifteens my wife could have lived with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Diodes are cheaper.

And to answer your other question, the L212 system probably takes the cake for extended low frequency response.
    Thank you,4313B.
    Now i'm hesitated of making a choise:4344,4344mk2,4345,S3100MK2(used) or 1400.
    Any suggetion?
    Thank you
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Thank you,4313B.
    Now i'm hesitated of making a choise:4344,4344mk2,4345,S3100MK2(used) or 1400.
    Any suggetion?
    SAM1HF over the low frequency transducer of your choice. If you are going to use subs then you might consider the 2206H as the midbass driver. They are supposed to be readily available and at 95 dB they are up in the efficiency range of the larger JBL Studio Monitors. I think the SAM1HF's and 2206H's retail out around $6,000 a pair.

It's a tough call between the 4345 and 1400 Array. The 1400 Array top end is obviously better but there is no way an LE14H can supplant a 2245H and 2122H. I guess given that the 4345 is roughly half to one-third the price it would be the better bet. Plus it arguably has an actual resale value if one cares about such things. But then there is that big huge ten cubic foot box. Yep, tough call.

Just one more reason to admire the Everest II and its ten cubic foot box I guess.

Thread Information